Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:13 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,828,691 times

Advertisements

Good post. Bars are sometimes classy and attract in people that just want to socialize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
You know, I read on this forum an awful lot about how bars are not the place to find someone to date or have a relationship with. I think this is unfair. Plenty of people go to a bar in order to be sociable, meet people, and have a good time. Some bars are pick up joints and others are just social watering holes. It's usually pretty easy to figure out the difference, especially if you're gay. I'm not "looking" for someone right now (though I'm open to the idea if I ever meet the right guy) but I do like to go out to a bar and have fun with friends. If a bar has go-go boys (aka strippers), drag shows, and pictures of half-naked to naked men all over the wall: It's a pick up joint.

I stick to sports bars. Go watch the game or go for karaoke; Sunday cook outs are great too! Plenty of people who aren't just looking for a one night stand go to bars -- it's just like any other public place where people meet up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 03:31 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,073,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Only thing is, the guys I have met at bars, internet sites, etc. seem to be not relationship material for various reasons, (not my type, not sexually compatible, total flakes/losers, cultural or political differences, etc.).
I would like to know what other places can I meet someone I can relate to and enjoy.
OMG It's spread to the gay community too? IS NOTHING SACRED!

Have you tried attending things you like besides just hangouts for male same sex encounters? By the way this is the exact same advice I'd give any sexual prefereance.

However I cannot resist.....Have you tried antique shows!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:44 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,938,595 times
I met my husband in a bathhouse.

J/K!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:47 PM

Oh ya, well I met my husband on a dark street corner..............OK not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I met my husband in a bathhouse.

J/K!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:31 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,938,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
oh ya, well i met my husband on a dark street corner..............ok not really.
:d

Old 10-14-2008, 05:17 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,631,254 times
well since the OP said he will take responses from allies of the gays i will add this...

try your local gay oriented agency. do volunteer work. you kill two birds with one stone. you get to meet people and you get to do good.

i also have friends that do hang out at sports bars, not gay sports bars necessarily(do they exist?). we go out and i am always suprised at how many men end up hanging out just to talk. some of my gays you can clock as such and others you cant. its funny that other men, be it out of curiosity or whatever, gravitate towards them. i think the sports bar is a good place. but you have to like sports, otherwise it might seem like you are a faker/predator. could get ulgy.

if you have a pet, take it for a walk or to the park. pets are chick magnets. or in this case dik magnets. dont forget, the gays love their pets.

the other thing you can do is join a running/excercise group. or if there is an AIDS marathon training group in your area, join it. you raise money for AIDS, you get to run a marathon in hawaii or something and you meet other gays. gays that want to be healthy!

and some of my gays have also done the street/alley route as well as the bar/club scene. thats hit or miss.

good luck tho.

oh and online dating has not been kind to my friends. only one has found a decent guy online. a lot of times online guys are incompatible (too shy, quiet, homebody, etc) but maybe if i knew more gays it would be different, the online thing that is.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:36 PM

11,372 posts, read 24,344,261 times
I have a friend who always seemed to meet his boyfriends at AA meetings. Or as they called it GAY-AA. He was never without, and they were nice guys.

Oh he also met a nice guy at a mostly gay dance club. LOL

Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 PM

Uh right. That is hilarious. At least he has someone, unlike me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I have a friend who always seemed to meet his boyfriends at AA meetings. Or as they called it GAY-AA. He was never without, and they were nice guys.

Oh he also met a nice guy at a mostly gay dance club. LOL
YES there are gay sports bars. They are pretty cool.

Yes online dating is terrible. The guys say they want relationships and to date but nobody follows through with anything....omg can you say lazy loser five times really fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
well since the OP said he will take responses from allies of the gays i will add this...

try your local gay oriented agency. do volunteer work. you kill two birds with one stone. you get to meet people and you get to do good.

i also have friends that do hang out at sports bars, not gay sports bars necessarily(do they exist?). we go out and i am always suprised at how many men end up hanging out just to talk. some of my gays you can clock as such and others you cant. its funny that other men, be it out of curiosity or whatever, gravitate towards them. i think the sports bar is a good place. but you have to like sports, otherwise it might seem like you are a faker/predator. could get ulgy.

if you have a pet, take it for a walk or to the park. pets are chick magnets. or in this case dik magnets. dont forget, the gays love their pets.

the other thing you can do is join a running/excercise group. or if there is an AIDS marathon training group in your area, join it. you raise money for AIDS, you get to run a marathon in hawaii or something and you meet other gays. gays that want to be healthy!

and some of my gays have also done the street/alley route as well as the bar/club scene. thats hit or miss.

good luck tho.

oh and online dating has not been kind to my friends. only one has found a decent guy online. a lot of times online guys are incompatible (too shy, quiet, homebody, etc) but maybe if i knew more gays it would be different, the online thing that is.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:49 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,073,167 times
Anywhere they are selling out of Sarah Palin costumes for holloween!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:15 PM

11,372 posts, read 24,344,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Uh right. That is hilarious. At least he has someone, unlike me.
It was funny because he met his bf in a bar and noticed him because he wasn't drinking. Turned out the reason why was because the kid was underage. They were a good couple, regardless.

I have other gay friends who are probably as picky as you are. Picky is something we women don't have a monopoly on, evidently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships