Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:59 AM

485 posts, read 1,834,771 times

Advertisements

Has your parents ever visited you at work? Do they show any interest in your job or your place of work?

When my parents were alive and would come to visit, I would always show them where I worked and give them a tour of the office and introduce them to some important people. They seemed to really enjoy this and would ask all kinds of things about my job and workplace.

My wife's parents are still alive but they never ask her anout work or show any interest in what she does or where she works. My wife has invited them to see her office a number of times and they always decline thinking the whole concept of seeing someones workplace is stupid.

Has your parents seen where you work? Are they interested in seeing it and knowing more about what you do for a living? Can they relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:14 AM

156 posts, read 269,249 times
My dad never thinks of it.. I go see him at work all the time, but he works in a grocery store, in the meat department. My type of work is more personal.. I work at an assisted living facility. That might be kind of cool to have him visit my work! He doesn't really like old people though.. When he was my age he did the same kind of work, and doesn't miss it at all! Although, he wants to go to a company party so that he can see my co-worker, who he was friends with when I was a little girl.

Heck! My husband has only been inside of my facility once.. He was shocked to see it was so beautiful inside! haha!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:19 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,930,122 times
Unfortunately, no one in my family can visit me at work (mother, father, wife, kids). I work in a secure building. So, as much as I keep their pictures on my desk, and I would love to show them where I work and what I do, that's not a possibility.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:25 AM

35,932 posts, read 30,469,451 times
My parents are both dead, but neigher saw where I work. Really didnt care as long as I had a job. My grandkids love to visit my work and see all the skulls, mounts, and cool things in jars.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:26 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,474,205 times
I also work in a secure building so with the exception of the guys giving my son the grand tour, none of my family has been to my office.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:28 AM

13,783 posts, read 26,189,835 times
My parents have been to our office and see my husband as patients. My mother has actually helped at the office when someone is out and I can not go in to cover.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:32 AM

2,948 posts, read 6,994,889 times
Not at all..

I live in another state from my father and he hasn't even come to visit me since moving away from his area.

My father has seen places I have worked in the past, but never had any interest in the employer / place itself.

Now, my inlaws.. maybe. Had they visited while we were in Cleveland area, they would have loved to see everything (even if just been shown the outside). We have temporarily transferred to the NW Ohio area, closer to them, and they have actively always asked questions about our places of work. Just haven't visited. I think they would consider it an intrusion on our work day or something if they did.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:33 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,917,067 times
No, they're too far away to visit me at work. Not only that, but you see one office building you've seen them all. For me personally, I wouldn't get all excited to see where someone works, so I doubt too many people would be enthused about seeing where I work.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 PM

21,874 posts, read 19,022,720 times
i think it is wonderful when parents show an interest in their children's activities and interests, and that goes for their grown children as well, so i say if a parent takes pride and interest in their adult children's workplace, it is a sign of healthy support and pride

i give my kids that, and am thrilled and honored when they see show me around their jobs and introduce me to their co-workers. To me it is an honor and that they think well enough of me to share that part of themselves with me. I am and always have been interested in their various interests, including work, and i like to know what they are talking about and try to understand as much of their world as i can, and as they are willing to share with me

my parents are not like that. since i was 14 my mother has done nothing but criticize my jobs and friends and accomplishments, so after much misery and hartache, I simply stopped sharing with her anything about my life, so as to avoid the barrage of criticism and virulence

they are who they are; not everyone is interested in their kids or adult children, nor are they able to show up for relationship in that way

Old 10-15-2008, 02:48 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,287,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
Has your parents ever visited you at work? Do they show any interest in your job or your place of work?

When my parents were alive and would come to visit, I would always show them where I worked and give them a tour of the office and introduce them to some important people. They seemed to really enjoy this and would ask all kinds of things about my job and workplace.

My wife's parents are still alive but they never ask her anout work or show any interest in what she does or where she works. My wife has invited them to see her office a number of times and they always decline thinking the whole concept of seeing someones workplace is stupid.

Has your parents seen where you work? Are they interested in seeing it and knowing more about what you do for a living? Can they relate?
Oye ve

Maybe it's just me, but I'd think it weird for my parents to come to my work place especially if it was just a plain old office. Now say, I worked on movie sets or production on a show I can see them getting a kick out of it. Or even somewhere like a museum or a place on interest. So yes I'm with your wifes parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships