Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:12 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,414,744 times

Advertisements

I read this letter to Dear Abby, and I agree with her advice. However, I'm betting not all people will.

WOMAN RESISTS HALF-SISTER'S EFFORT TO MAKE A CONNECTION
Sun Oct 12

DEAR ABBY: My father left my mother for a woman I'll call "Sheila" he met at work. I was only 7. My brother was 9 at the time; he committed suicide at the age of 20.

My father and Sheila eventually married and had four children who are now grown. Their oldest was born while my parents were still legally married.

My mother never wanted a divorce. She gave him one reluctantly when she knew all was lost, but she never got over it. Although Mom never said an unkind word about my father, she was never the same woman. Basically, she devoted her life to my brother and me, her home and her full-time job. She died last year after a brief illness, and my father didn't even attend the funeral.

Two weeks ago, I received a long letter from one of Dad and Sheila's kids. In it she told me that she had nothing to do with what happened, so couldn't we get to know one another? She extended an open invitation to lunch or dinner.

The thought of getting close to the offspring of the woman who broke up my parents' marriage and caused my mother so much pain is surreal. Abby, what do you think I should do? -- DISCONCERTED IN NEW YORK

DEAR DISCONCERTED: Thank you for asking. I think you should take your half-sister up on her offer and meet her. She's right -- she had nothing to do with the unhappy ending to your parents' marriage.

While I can understand your anger and bitterness, please try to keep an open mind and go with no expectations. This woman may -- or may not -- be the most sensitive of the bunch, and it will be interesting to find out why she reached out to you. As I see it, you have nothing to lose, and she may be able to give you a new perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 11:20 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,989,002 times
I wouldn't be interested in being close to such half-siblings, either. Granted, none of the events are their fault, but they'd be also the same strangers to me as any other strangers. Most likely I wouldn't be too fond of such a father to begin with.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,414,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I wouldn't be interested in being close to such half-siblings, either. Granted, none of the events are their fault, but they'd be also the same strangers to me as any other strangers. Most likely I wouldn't be too fond of such a father to begin with.
Well, the sad thing is, her mother and brother are now both dead - she sounds kind of alone in the world. There is no reason this half sister has to remain a stranger to her - if they both make an effort over time maybe they could build a relationship that would be worth the risk

Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,508,858 times
I'd go have coffee with her and see what she has to say. There's no guarantee there'd be the connection the half-sister is obviously looking for, but why not give her chance?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:44 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,918,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'd go have coffee with her and see what she has to say. There's no guarantee there'd be the connection the half-sister is obviously looking for, but why not give her chance?
I gotta go with this answer too. Not the half-sister's fault. Misplaced resentment, if you ask me.

Every one makes mistakes too. If this is something she wishes to hold on to and be unforgiving about, I'd hate to be her when/ if she ever makes a mistake.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:52 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,281,274 times
I was about 14 years old when I learned I had other brothers and sisters. I was brought up being the only child and at this point and time of my life I am still getting used to the fact that I have siblings. I tried to reach out to them but most of them never acknowledged me so I just went on with my life.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:26 AM

478 posts, read 2,299,060 times
I say that Abby dropped the ball on this, BIG TIME.

Like it or not, it's not the half-sister's place to put herself in the position of peacemaker. Whether the half-sister wants to hear this or not, this much is true: her good fortune was born of the misery of other people, and the consequences were dire.

Let's rack up the body count, shall we? The Original Letter Writer's mother is dead, and her father didn't even attend the funeral. Her brother committed suicide. This poor woman has had the emotional equivalent of Hiroshima, twice (three times if you count the mother's death and the subsequent snub by her father as separate incidents).

She needs therapy. She needs time. She needs lots of things ... but she doesn't need a letter from a girl who got to have a complete family while she did not.

I am also strongly of the opinion that the father needs to be the one to reach out to his daughter (whom he has effectively disowned), and not send his progeny to do work that only he can do.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:05 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,508,858 times
Who says she's playing peacemaker? Who says that she wants the letter writer to have anything to do with their father? That wasn't expressed in the letter to Dear Abby. The half sister seems to be reaching out on her own behalf.

Also, sorry to say this, but if the letter writer's mother and father were divorced, why is he still obligated to attend her funeral? Obviously, the mom kept hanging on to the dad long after he wanted to be free. I don't blame the letter writer for taking her mom's side, but there may be more to this story than meets the eye.

In addition, why do you assume that the brother's suicide had anything to do with his father's abandonment of his mother? Maybe he got into drugs, maybe he was always depressed... Again, there's more here than a short letter can delve into.

I think life is too short to point a finger at your half-sister, who is blameless and innocent, and say, "You got to have an intact family, while mine was in ruins." It's not the half-sister's fault. It's the father's fault. Snub him. Never talk to him again. But her? No. She's not the one to blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlitefromNC View Post
I say that Abby dropped the ball on this, BIG TIME.

Like it or not, it's not the half-sister's place to put herself in the position of peacemaker. Whether the half-sister wants to hear this or not, this much is true: her good fortune was born of the misery of other people, and the consequences were dire.

Let's rack up the body count, shall we? The Original Letter Writer's mother is dead, and her father didn't even attend the funeral. Her brother committed suicide. This poor woman has had the emotional equivalent of Hiroshima, twice (three times if you count the mother's death and the subsequent snub by her father as separate incidents).

She needs therapy. She needs time. She needs lots of things ... but she doesn't need a letter from a girl who got to have a complete family while she did not.

I am also strongly of the opinion that the father needs to be the one to reach out to his daughter (whom he has effectively disowned), and not send his progeny to do work that only he can do.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:39 AM

10,199 posts, read 17,773,804 times
I agree her half sister had nothing to do with it and it's touching that she would reach out but if it were me, I think I would have problems getting close to anyone who is close to my father. Just because that would mean I would be back in his life and while I could maybe forgive him for finding love with someone else, I don't think I could forgive him for boycotting my mother's funeral. Going to a funeral is not about the deceased, it's about the loved one's of the deceased. The fact that a father would not attend the funeral for his daughter's sake is pretty insensitive and heartless.

To me, it wouldn't be about any misplaced resentment for a half sister, it would be about not wanting to be in the life of a father who clearly cares nothing for me.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:02 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,006,930 times
Even though it's not the sister's fault, if I didn't feel comfortable meeting her, I wouldn't. She has no obligation to meet her if she doesn't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships