Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:33 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,638,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think for a minute, and say, "Well, it's bad for business, of course." With that, I roll up my window and move up in the carpool line. I look in my rearview mirror and she's at the window of another car, pointing at me.

Something tells me that I'm about to be included in all the local gossip as a potential drug lord in our prosperous neighborhood. Anybody else struggle with social pressure or the displays of public piety?
It sounds like you have a very dry sense of humor. People don't appreciate that Especially not when it comes off the wall.

I actually have the same exact problem. I tend to simply make very dry statements to things without thinking about whether or not people will get it. It usually doesn't go over well

People aren't going to assume that you're a drug dealer. I assure you, you're fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 10:36 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,563,394 times
Quote:

"And what would happen if I caught you using drugs?"

"Well, if I am lucky, I would die."

So, I think my own Anti-Drug program has, so far, proven far more effective than some stupid plastic yard sign.

That's exactly the conversation that went on at my house! I was (and still am....) convinced that jail, the law and courts have NOTHING on what my mother would do. The DARE programs and whatnot in my school were ridiculous.... they taught you what drugs do, what they look like and how they make you feel, then told you not to do them. 'Well Timmy, this drug will make you feel AMAZING and EUPHORIC, and it's inexpensive and easy to find! Now don't go using it, little guy!'.

Ridiculous.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:21 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,638,209 times
Quote:
I think I should, when they're looking for ideas for their next fundraiser, suggest a gigantic burlesque show where they all get up on stage and shed Lilly Pulitzer sweaters and tennis skirts to the delight of the male audience. Considering all the plastic surgery that goes on my neighborhood, I bet they'd rake in a pretty penny. Heck, they could even work on commission.
... are you also in LA?

Old 10-17-2008, 11:24 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,007,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
... are you also in LA?
Birmingham, Alabama, in one of the country's wealthiest neighborhoods. Some of these women here are unbelievable. Straight out of "Desperate Housewives."

Old 10-17-2008, 11:28 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,145,772 times
You're my type of guy for sure! You trouble maker

Quote:
Okay. Let me start with this. I haven't done drugs, don't do drugs, and will probably never do drugs. If I caught one of my kids doing drugs, I'd ship them off to rehab so fast it would make their heads swim.

That being said, I was in the carpool line today. At the top of the school driveway, I noticed some dedicated mom handing out yard signs. I couldn't make out the message at first, but the closer she got to me, the better that I could tell it was a "Say No To Drugs!" yard sign as part of the schools' Anti-Drug Week.

So, this well-meaning woman gets to my car, and asks, "Would you like an Anti-Drug yard sign?" I think about it and say, "Why, no thank you." She looks at me for a second as if I've grown horns, and then says, "Are you sure?"

Once again, I say, "No, thanks."

Finally, she says, "Well, why not?"

I think for a minute, and say, "Well, it's bad for business, of course." With that, I roll up my window and move up in the carpool line. I look in my rearview mirror and she's at the window of another car, pointing at me.

Something tells me that I'm about to be included in all the local gossip as a potential drug lord in our prosperous neighborhood. Anybody else struggle with social pressure or the displays of public piety?

Old 10-17-2008, 11:28 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,935,854 times
PTA is just a bunch of side-show freaks in my opinion anyway. They make stupid plans at stupid times to facilitate THEIR schedule (read: be home for their soap operas).

Prime example: My kids pre-order their books once they get their schedules. My wife is a nurse, and I'm a contractor on a military base. Both of us have very little time to take off during the day that our time won't be docked for, so less pay in the ol' paycheck. But the PTA (or better known as SAHM's with no life) make the time to pick up those books 9-10 am or 1-3 pm. So, why do I bother attending the meetings and putting in my two cents. They're worse than politicians... at least most politicians acknowledge they are corrupt!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 AM

13 posts, read 23,870 times
Hey, that was a fun post. You know what.... Don't worry, just because you believe something or don't believe it, you have the right to not opt for advertising it on your front lawn. I often wonder about the people with the "I Heart Jesus" bumper stickers. Who are they trying to convince? Usually I only post things I am trying to work on, like, sticking the "prayer of serenity" on my bathroom mirror. We tend to post the things we need to remind ourselves of the things we need to work on. Whatever your beliefs are you have the right to advertise them or keep them private. Kudos to you for not wasting their sign and for sticking up for what you want. P.S. anyway any good cop knows the first place to look for a meth lab is a house with a "Say no to drugs sign" on their front lawn.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:31 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,008,653 times
Quote:
Nope.

A little coda to my story. I was driving my son to soccer practice yesterday evening and the grounds of the high school was festooned with these same signs.

My son asks, "What's with all the Anti-Drug signs?"

"So you don't take drugs, son."

"Well, I already know that."

"And what would happen if I caught you using drugs?"

"Well, if I am lucky, I would die."

So, I think my own Anti-Drug program has, so far, proven far more effective than some stupid plastic yard sign.
Haha, I love it! I'm so using that program.....

Old 10-17-2008, 05:43 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,422,844 times
Your story there is kind of the story of my life. I'm just never quite in step with everyone else, it seems. I work out with a bunch of other moms with our kids strapped in their strollers. Well, the other week, the trainer asked us what we would work on if we had more spare time. I kid you not, every single one of those ladies said scrapbooking. Well, I hate, hate, hate scrapbooking. Anyway, when I gave my answer, I got looks telling me I had just revealed my alien status. Pod people! They really do exist.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:13 PM

378 posts, read 336,766 times
Quote:
I think I should, when they're looking for ideas for their next fundraiser, suggest a gigantic burlesque show where they all get up on stage and shed Lilly Pulitzer sweaters and tennis skirts to the delight of the male audience. Considering all the plastic surgery that goes on my neighborhood, I bet they'd rake in a pretty penny. Heck, they could even work on commission.
If I had them, I would want my kids to have playdates with your kids. You are hilarious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships