Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:44 AM

456 posts, read 1,393,017 times

Advertisements

Synchronicity. A series of apparently not-so-random coincidences.

I met my husband, now my ex, when I was a student at the University of Wisconsin--Madison. The first time we met almost literally on the streets. He approached me. He looked just like the parent of one of the kids in the campus day care center where I worked. So, I was super-friendly, not realizing that he was coming on to me. He was very cool about it. Suave. The second time we "met," I was student-teaching at a school where, as a graduate student and researcher, he happened to be the supervisor of a group of student teachers. He caught a glimpse of me through the window of the classroom door and was apparently hooked from that point on. I saw him watching me through the window but focused on my work, which I love. He, on the other hand, was smitten. The third time we met when I was shopping and running around campus doing all kinds of errands right before a big trip to Houston. That time he finally copped to it, i.e. finally admitted that he was interested in me. I was still on the rebound and kind of cynical about men, not really taking them seriously unless they made an effort show that they were sincere. So, I teased/tested him. I gave him my phone number and in a flirtatious voice told him the exact date when I would be back in Madison. Then I walked away from him with a friendly good-bye. When I returned to Madison, before I was even settled back in, the phone rang. It was him. The rest is history. We dated around, and then eventually dated each other exclusively. It was truly uncanny how much we had in common, except for a couple of things that turned out to be red flags/dealbreakers in the end. After about a year or so, he proposed (twice). We were married for ten years. I have no regrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 11:46 AM

638 posts, read 1,914,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katimae View Post
I think horror movies are great first dates, good excuse to grab him if you like him or leave early if He's the horror!

Not w/my hubby LOL... I wasn't into him really when we saw the movie. I was freezing in the theater and he offered me his jacket... it stunk to high hell (along w/his breath LMFAO).. I remind him of this

He was a heavy smoker when we first met (he smoked in his car, apartment etc) and it clung to him real bad. I'm a smoker too but a light smoker and no smoking allowed in my home so I don't have a smokers smell to me (plus I smoke Capris)

I wasn't going to hang out w/him after that because it bothered me. AFter that movie went home and was going to delete him from my myspace profile but he sent me an email after that date called "Movie Majik" (he's a phenomonal writer) and I decided I DESERVED a nice guy for a change so I kept going out with him because I just loved his personality. After the 4th date I let him kiss me and that was IT.. seriously .. never felt that way after a man kissed me before... moved in together a month later 3 months later he proposed and a month after that we were married.

When we started dating seriously he cut down on his smoking majorly because I didn't allow it in our home. Now in Montana we still both only smoke about 5 or 6 cigs a day and it's always outside or in the garage (when it's icy cold out) w/the garage door open)

Best decision I ever made... found my soul mate and live in a beautiful state..

AND... btw... we now own Hostel for our dvd collection and had to see and own Hostel II... memories LOL

Old 10-19-2008, 01:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,965,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I met mine strangely enough on About.com Dating Forum as we both were venting about bad relationships
Yeah, I always thought those forums are dangerous places. I was reading a divorce forum at some point (not participating) and you could see how all on the board (men and women) were angels and you could feel the vibe... probably more than a few ended up crying on each other's shoulders and got into their next mess courtesy of this "sharing"...

Old 10-19-2008, 01:28 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,041,951 times
Through a car message board. He lived in FL at the time. We were purely platonic friends at first and I was very impressed that he never flirted with me. I hate guys that think that just because we get along well, we should date or hookup. That's soo high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships