Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 PM

51,956 posts, read 52,393,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
aww Chowhound.....can I give you a hug...it sounds like you need one you poor lil' thing you
I know I've been crying here on the board lately about work, but man I can't wait for this project I'm working on to finish up. About 2-3 weeks and it should slow down some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 07:57 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,002,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I know I've been crying here on the board lately about work, but man I can't wait for this project I'm working on to finish up. About 2-3 weeks and it should slow down some.
Why should you be an exception?! Everybody's crying about one thing or another! That's what the forum is for!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:03 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,248,003 times
I am about done for the year. Three more wells. I am ready for a break myself. Then come May, back to work.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,002,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am about done for the year. Three more wells. I am ready for a break myself. Then come May, back to work.
Wow, you work only half of the year! I wanna drill wells, too! How do I get into it?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Wow, you work only half of the year! I wanna drill wells, too! How do I get into it?
Pretty dangerous work as I understand it, maybe I'm wrong thought

Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,602,043 times
It isn't about how many weeks or months of the year you work, it's about how many hours. In the film industry most professionals don't work for half of the year, at least, but when they do work, they work hard, long days and make a good amount for those days. A great cinematographer doing commercial work can work 3-5 days per month and make more than most people will ever make in a month.

I prefer personally to work 60-80 hour weeks when I am working, then take more time off.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:16 PM

I personally perfer not to to work that much at all.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,853,425 times
same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I personally perfer not to to work that much at all.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:27 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,563,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
What do you do for a living and is it fulfilling? Do you really enjoy your work or is it just a paycheck? Would you like to be doing something that gives you greater sense of happiness but you can't afford to switch jobs? What would be your ultimate job that would give you the most joy? If finance's were not an issue.
I'm happy to say I'm a full-time artist/crafter and it makes me IMMENSELY happy!!! It took many years to get to a point where I could actually make a living doing what I love to do, many unfulfilling jobs (like bartending!) to get through before I realized that living in the moment is what my soul needed to feel joyous every day. There have been some rough moments (financially) but I don't have a problem with living on pasta and rice & beans once in awhile...I make sure I have plenty of high quality food for my animals, and whatever's left after that and bills is for me.

Lots of people I know look down on a hand-to-mouth lifestyle, but I'd rather utilize those hours they spend making money on a good book, a walk in the mountains with my dogs, or learning a new and interesting subject. Life's too short to waste time doing "jobs" we don't get anything out of but financial security. If we were suddenly thrown into martial law, all the "things" everyone has worked for their entire lives could be taken away in a heartbeat. Besides that, ya can't take it with ya!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:28 PM

283 posts, read 758,319 times
I adore my job. I sell antiques and decorative arts. I love it so much that I would continue doing it even if I didn't need the money. I basically get to shop for a living, and look at beautiful works of art all day and it never ever gets boring. There's so much to learn from each object and this education takes me many places daily and leads me to discover amazing things I would never have otherwise known.
I never have to be anywhere and each day is different, I work on my own time. I think I'm really lucky to have my job.
My ideal job would be to have the ability and money to start producing art and to basically make beautiful objects. I want to have a factory or a team of artists that I can tell what to create and have them do it.. But that would be on top of what I already do, I'd never stop dealing in pretty things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships