Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 05:23 PM

917 posts, read 2,294,616 times

Advertisements

I'm basicly what you would probably call new age, husband is agnostic. It works pretty well, but I know I could never seriously be with a christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:07 PM

926 posts, read 2,741,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxinterdits View Post
If your religion (or lack thereof) is important to you, but you choose not to limit your potential partners to those of your own faith, how do you handle dating people of a different faith?

If you married someone of a different faith, did it work out? Did one of you convert? What about your kids?

We've had lots of threads on interracial romance, but my quick search didn't turn up any threads on interreligious romance, so here it is.
my mom was raised Jewish and Catholic I know right lol. Her dad was Jewish, her mom was Catholic. She went to Temple on Saturdays and Mass on sundays until she was 16 and her parent slet her choose and she chose Jewish. Well she married my dad who was Lutheran and when me, my brother and sister were growing up, we too went to Temple on Saturday and Church on Sunday until I was 11 and my mom let us pick and we all chose to be Lutheran lol. Nowadays denomination/religions dont matter to me. I was Pagan in high school, Lutheran in college, AME for 3 years and now I go to a Catholic Church. I got where the Spirit leads me and I want a man who is the same way. As long as he beleives in SOMETHING I dont care. My grandparents had a very loving marriage with no problems and though my parents divorced it was not because of religion lol. my parents didnt care about race or religion, love was all that mattered and they let us choose our own paths.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:20 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,445,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxinterdits View Post
If your religion (or lack thereof) is important to you, but you choose not to limit your potential partners to those of your own faith, how do you handle dating people of a different faith?

If you married someone of a different faith, did it work out? Did one of you convert? What about your kids?
I didn't realize how important it was until I actually got married then found out down the road how religiously different we are,which obviously can put strain on a relationship.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:58 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,602,043 times
I would be unlikely to date a religious girl at all. I could probably tolerate a girl who was mildly religious, but anything more and we'll get into fights. I think religion is mind control for the masses, and a horrible influence on humanity in general. I will not be happy until all religion is crushed from the world, and it's one of my life goals to speak out against religion and actively oppose it. I'm not just an atheist, I'm actively against religion. So for a religious girl to want to date me? Doubtful. I wouldn't want to date her, either. I only like dating girls I respect. I don't respect people who believe things that aren't based on fact. Will I SHOW respect for them, treat them with respect? YES, everyone deserves to be treated with respect. Everyone. From bums to presidents. But that doesn't mean I respect them deep down, in my heart, I can't respect someone who believes things I find utterly repulsive and stupid. I just can't.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:25 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,634,334 times
My ex-husband, raised Baptist, was an Atheist for about 15 years and then turned barely spiritual the last 5 years of our marriage. Raised Catholic, I am solidly spiritual but I am not religious. We had no conflicts over the years due to our beliefs.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I would be unlikely to date a religious girl at all. I could probably tolerate a girl who was mildly religious, but anything more and we'll get into fights. I think religion is mind control for the masses, and a horrible influence on humanity in general. I will not be happy until all religion is crushed from the world, and it's one of my life goals to speak out against religion and actively oppose it. I'm not just an atheist, I'm actively against religion. So for a religious girl to want to date me? Doubtful. I wouldn't want to date her, either. I only like dating girls I respect. I don't respect people who believe things that aren't based on fact. Will I SHOW respect for them, treat them with respect? YES, everyone deserves to be treated with respect. Everyone. From bums to presidents. But that doesn't mean I respect them deep down, in my heart, I can't respect someone who believes things I find utterly repulsive and stupid. I just can't.
Can't you just respect the fact that some people would like to believe in something? I think it gives some people some sort of structure if nothing else. Otherwise there would be people just floating around with no substance or beliefs in anything.
Btw what's your definition of 'facts'?...

Old 10-23-2008, 12:39 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,602,043 times
Facts are things that you can prove. While I certainly can't prove there is no god, nobody can prove there is, so non-existence by definition is assumed. That is how science operates. The burden of proof is on religious people, NOT on science. It's just like how I can't prove that Casper the Friendly Ghost isn't in my room with me, but I can assume he isn't as there is no evidence for it. Burden of proof is always on proving something exists, not proving it doesn't exist, same is true with bigfoot, aliens, Loch Ness monster, etc. We don't discriminate against religious people

I think it's sad someone would need religion as a crutch, and wanting to believe isn't a good excuse to believe. I wish there was a nice heaven where I could go and see my mom again one day, and I wish all of that were true, but wishing it doesn't make it so. There's no good reason to believe any of that crap, especially because there are hundreds of religions and they can't all be right. It's just human weakness, inventing things of explanatory power at first to explain basic phenomena like thunder and lightning, then when science explained everything, clinging to religion for hope. It's pitiful, really. I don't mind ultimately if someone is religious, I'm not going to hate them for it, people are more than just one belief or another. I don't want to alienate people just because we disagree on one thing. But at the core I will not respect them as a thinker. I may respect them as someone who is very smart in other areas, but as a whole I will judge them as a person not to be someone who thinks outside the box or who really critically examines the world around them.

I think more emphasis on personal achievement and less emphasis on wasting time with religion would lead to a better society for all. It's no surprise or coincidence that the more industrialized the nation, the fewer religious people there are. In a tribal culture it will be 100% religious. In modern industrialized society, the percentages drop off as people's education rises.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Facts are things that you can prove. While I certainly can't prove there is no god, nobody can prove there is, so non-existence by definition is assumed. That is how science operates. The burden of proof is on religious people, NOT on science. It's just like how I can't prove that Casper the Friendly Ghost isn't in my room with me, but I can assume he isn't as there is no evidence for it. Burden of proof is always on proving something exists, not proving it doesn't exist, same is true with bigfoot, aliens, Loch Ness monster, etc. We don't discriminate against religious people

I think it's sad someone would need religion as a crutch, and wanting to believe isn't a good excuse to believe. I wish there was a nice heaven where I could go and see my mom again one day, and I wish all of that were true, but wishing it doesn't make it so. There's no good reason to believe any of that crap, especially because there are hundreds of religions and they can't all be right. It's just human weakness, inventing things of explanatory power at first to explain basic phenomena like thunder and lightning, then when science explained everything, clinging to religion for hope. It's pitiful, really. I don't mind ultimately if someone is religious, I'm not going to hate them for it, people are more than just one belief or another. I don't want to alienate people just because we disagree on one thing. But at the core I will not respect them as a thinker. I may respect them as someone who is very smart in other areas, but as a whole I will judge them as a person not to be someone who thinks outside the box or who really critically examines the world around them.

I think more emphasis on personal achievement and less emphasis on wasting time with religion would lead to a better society for all. It's no surprise or coincidence that the more industrialized the nation, the fewer religious people there are.
That's because people tend to forget about where they may have come from and are focused more on the material things in life...

While you may not have personally experienced any proof of God,there are many who have and those testimonials are as good as any science.

I don't believe in ghosts or things like that b/c I've never personally experienced it,doesn't mean it doesn't exist on some level. I know people that have claimed they've spoken to the dead etc but I don't seek to disprove them in the name of science or something. I've got a pretty logical mind and if something could be explained I'd be one of the first to do it,but sometimes I just can't figure it out so I leave it alone. Perhaps whatever people believe in,something must've spoken out to them to cause them to believe.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:23 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,285,732 times
I am Catholic and my wife's Christian and she's constantly telling me that I am going to hell. What is it with Christian people and the whole "hell" issue? She says Catholics are Christians who don't give a hoot.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:25 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,566,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I am Catholic and my wife's Christian and she's constantly telling me that I am going to hell. What is it with Christian people and the whole "hell" issue? She says Catholics are Christians who don't give a hoot.
LOL...that was kinda funny. Actually the whole 'goin' to hell' thing is more a Fundamental Chrisitianity thing, not really a 'Christian' thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships