Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:06 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,936,278 times

Advertisements

Right now, I'd have to say A. Looks. That's not because of vanity (or should I say not entirely), but because I'm secure in the other areas. My looks, however, with age, have not been as kind as I would hope. Of course, I was never a head-turner growing up anyway. But, it would be nice to build up some confidence in the one area I'm really not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 08:07 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,147,019 times
Well, I always get the ladies heads turning with the color of my eyes and I always get told I am a good person. So I would say I don't need anymore............

Old 10-24-2008, 08:08 AM

13,783 posts, read 26,210,342 times
My actions and mind are tied for first...someone noticing my looks or what I am wearing is not very important to me.

I would rather be known for being a good person and/or a smart person rather than someone who was always dressed well or the hair was coiffed just right.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,556,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Right now, I'd have to say A. Looks. That's not because of vanity (or should I say not entirely), but because I'm secure in the other areas. My looks, however, with age, have not been as kind as I would hope. Of course, I was never a head-turner growing up anyway. But, it would be nice to build up some confidence in the one area I'm really not.
Same as me, really. More secure about the other two. Especially my mind. If I'd been super attractive growing up, and always complimented on it, I wouldn't be...hungry?...for compliments about my looks.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:02 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,423,101 times
I'd like to be complicated on my mind. Previously, it might have been actions, but not these days. Staying home with two small children seems to have quashed much of my intelligence. While I can once again string a couple of coherent sentences together, I still feel far, far away from that happy place of intelligent thinking. Maybe once I get these last 10 pounds of baby fat off ....

Last edited by fjtee; 10-24-2008 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: typo, as usual

Old 10-24-2008, 11:23 PM

1,813 posts, read 2,839,636 times
I would most like to be complimented on C, my actions, because it is the most original and hardest to achieve. I would take that to heart in a good way because it would have taken me time to accomplish whatever it was, or I would have put my heart and soul into it.

There are a lot of good-looking people out there and there are a lot of smart people out there. I think there are far fewer who have DONE something great.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:30 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,602,043 times
Default hmm

Well, I suppose my actions. I don't care about being complimented on being smart, I've gotten that my entire life, I've heard it enough, I don't need reassurance, I got the diploma, the test results, and the accomplishments to back it up, so it's not a compliment that interests me much. I can take it graciously but it's like eh whatever. There's only one exception to that. I have a friend who I think is a genius, I mean he got a 1590 on his SATs when 1600 was the top score, and he took it a year early, and he was a year younger than the rest of us, so really he took it 2 years earlier than when I did in terms of life age. He is a brilliant guy. So when he said something about how I'm one of the smartest guys he knows, it was a huge compliment because I know he's naturally more intelligent than I am, I mean he has more aptitude for learning virtually anything. I'm smart but I'm just run-of-the-mill smart, I'm not a genius like him, haha. So that was something nice to hear that he thinks that highly of me, kind of humbling.

I enjoy being complimented on looks, though, even if that sounds vain. Because I was a huge nerd in high school, and I put A LOT of time and money into my looks (personal training with the best for almost two years, martial arts and private lessons, dental work, laser eye surgery, new clothes and style, teeth whitening, etc.), and back then NO girl would ever say anything about my looks or even give me the time of day most of the time, when a girl says, "You're pretty hot, how come you don't have a girlfriend?" it's still a big compliment to me. A hot girl who has been hot her whole life is probably like me with the smart compliments -- she gets tired of hearing she's hot, she already knows that. But since I put a lot of effort into my appearance and becoming a good looking guy, I love those compliments because it makes me feel good about what I did, since some of us weren't just born hot we had to put a lot of work into getting there

Most of all, though, I would prefer to be complimented on my work, the film work I do, etc. It makes me feel good to know people like what I've done.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:33 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,634,334 times
My actions and my mind. Anyone can change their looks, very difficult to change character.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:37 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,602,043 times
Maybe, but I don't really see it that way. I used to think people who were good looking and got all the attention were just lucky and there was nothing to it. But when I started working out, I realized how much of it is mental, how hard you have to be willing to work and how dedicated you have to be to maintain a muscular appearance. It's a lot harder than I gave people credit for in high school, when I just thought guys who were muscular somehow grew muscle by chance or something. I put so much effort into my appearance after high school, I really grew to appreciate what it takes to be good looking and how it's more than just luck. There is of course what you start with, you need the raw material, but then besides that it's a lot of work to look good! haha.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:45 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,563,864 times
Definitely my actions. Though some of my favorite paintings stemmed from thought/concept before I put them into action, more often than not I just blast some crazy music and enjoy whatever ride the brush wants to take me on!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships