Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 04:37 PM

754 posts, read 1,446,703 times

Advertisements

Why should anyone be held accountable for anything? Out of personal responsibility? I don't think so, in the case of AIG, the Government is accountable for this as well? Are they being responsible for bailing us out of a mess that it was their jobs to prevent in the first place?

You can't make someone have the morals you have. That's why we have a government that is supposed to hold businesses responsible for their actions. I hope in the next 6 months or so when this mess is behind us, the Government does at least part of it's job and send some of these CEO's to prison where they belong. I also hope that all of the people who bought homes that on some level they knew they couldn't afford realize that it's ok to dream but never let someone convince you that you can afford something when on some level you know you can't.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:59 PM

51,956 posts, read 52,393,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
Why should anyone be held accountable for anything? Out of personal responsibility? I don't think so, in the case of AIG, the Government is accountable for this as well? Are they being responsible for bailing us out of a mess that it was their jobs to prevent in the first place?
I don't understand this, are you being facetious??

Old 10-25-2008, 05:11 PM

2,437 posts, read 6,997,736 times
Chow.. that is the current mindset... these days anyways... never take self responsibility... and who cares about other people..

Those that are employed at AIG and took that trip.. knowing full well that the people of these States bailed em out and they now spent money on a trip like that should.. be shot and quartered... they have no shame.. The CEO should be held personally responsible for that trip and it should be taken out of his paycheck to reimburse the cofers of the companies bank rolls..

Now who is going to take personal responsibility for voting a dim wit into the presidential office?

Old 10-25-2008, 05:14 PM

51,956 posts, read 52,393,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Now who is going to take personal responsibility for voting a dim wit into the presidential office?
Both candidates are dim wits.

JMHO

Old 10-25-2008, 05:56 PM

2,437 posts, read 6,997,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Both candidates are dim wits.

JMHO

yeah... I concur.. they are both dimwits... now.. who of us are going to take the responsibility for voting either one of those dimwits in?? Or maybe we can rely on the fact that the popular vote means nothing anyways and the electorate vote will pick who they pick anyways?

Old 10-25-2008, 06:00 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,034,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
parents blame the teachers for all their childrens shortcomings
Parents who do that have failed straightaway.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:17 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,602,043 times
I don't think there's hardly any personal accountability anymore. Nobody will own up to anything, and nobody will take responsibility either. It's now the government's job to do everything for you, apparently. People can't save for retirement so we have a government program to do that for you. Corporations can't be trusted to make good financial decisions in the best interest of their stock holders (oddly...), so the government has to bail them out.

I think what this country needs first is a 10-year moratorium on new laws. During that time, go through the books, and start repealing one by one. We have a LOT of laws that need removing. Nobody even understands them all. No more government programs. No more taxes. There are way too many programs, way too much taxes, and way too much government debt. The government isn't accountable at all anymore, they just spend, spend, spend.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:21 PM

754 posts, read 1,446,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't understand this, are you being facetious??
Sort of, my point is being irresponsible has always been and will always be. The only reason people don't run wild is because we have rules and regulations that are supposed to govern us. After all, this would be the entire reason we have a government to begin with. When you break the rules you go to jail that's the way it's supposed to work.

You're asking why big business isn't being responsible for their actions, let me ask you, have they ever been? No, they've always been out for themselves and I don't think that's ever going to change. I'm more of a realist, as much as I wish everyone was raised to take responsibility for their actions, most don't. You didn't need the mortgage industry to meltdown to see that. The answer to the question of why people aren't being accountable is because they never are. That's like asking why do people liter? Get in the 10 item or less line with 20 items? Why do people discriminate? the answer to all of these is because they think they can get away with it. The real question is why the systems we have in place (SEC) didn't do their jobs and protect us from this?

People have been trying to get away with murder (literally and figuratively) since the beginning of time. You just can't regulate behavior. However I agree with you, people need to be held accountable for this, and I can't wait to see who ends up in jail behind this. I'm willing to bet AIG will be one of the first ones down. As a matter of fact, they're currently being investigated by the FBI. So will they be held accountable, let's hope so.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:22 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,211,063 times
Lets see, this was posted at about 4:00 and its about 7:30, now. Nothing like blatent moderator bias on the boards.

Sweeeet!!!

Old 10-25-2008, 06:26 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,210,342 times
Chow, this is why we have court systems FULL of tort cases and lawyers are making money hand over fist(and I come from a LONG line of attorneys and a judge)...

A family friend of ours had a German Shepherd that was tormented by the next door neighbors child. Our friends put up a 4.5 foot fence to keep this child away, talked to the parents about the child, and low and behold, the child came into the yard while the dog was tethered and poked the dog with sticks.

The dog bit the child, the family sued and our friends lost their homeowners insurance!

The parents NEVER took any resposibility for their child's action nor did the child (about 9 years old).

People are always expecting a safety net to rely on or blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.