Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 04:01 PM

51,904 posts, read 52,289,476 times

Advertisements

Is is just me or does it seem like we as a country are heading down the wrong path. There seems to be a whole lot less accountability for people actions. If someone screws something up at work, it doesn't seem to matter. Look at the current financial crisis. The economy is sh&thouse and you got the CEO's walking away from companies with multi million dollar severances.

Look at the a$$holes from AIG, they got a bailout on the taxpayers dime, then a bunch of them went to a some really nice resort and spent 443,000 dollars on spa treatments. I can't believe that such garbage happens.

We need to get the torches and pitchforks out and march up to capital hill and drag these people out of office.

After Bailout, AIG Executives Head to Resort - Live Coverage -

Old 10-25-2008, 04:07 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,958,432 times
Well, probably the wrong forum, but here's my take.

Vote them all out. If they've been in office more than a term, out they go. For liberals and conservatives, Republicans and Democrats, have all been complicit in the current mess. And if you really stand up and say, "Why I vote for XXXXX party," then you are a deluded fool.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:08 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,194,154 times
I am all about being one of the villagers with flaming pitchforks!

Yes, I have noticed the lack of personal accountability with former neighbors, children and their parents, professionally...it is sad.

Went to my sons parent/teacher conferences last week and we discussed the same topic in the schools...parents blame the teachers for all their childrens shortcomings...

Old 10-25-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I am all about being one of the villagers with flaming pitchforks!

Yes, I have noticed the lack of personal accountability with former neighbors, children and their parents, professionally...it is sad.

Went to my sons parent/teacher conferences last week and we discussed the same topic in the schools...parents blame the teachers for all their childrens shortcomings...
An excellent point. The number one determinant of academic success in a child is parental involvement.

Of course, if you read some of these threads, you run into all kinds of people who wonder why their life is a sorry mess, salt their posts with clues, yet get defensive when you point out why they're basketcases.

A long time ago, I learned an important lesson: Quit blaming everybody else for what happens to you. The first time somebody wrongs you, it's their fault. The second time that person wrongs you, it's your fault.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
A long time ago, I learned an important lesson: Quit blaming everybody else for what happens to you. The first time somebody wrongs you, it's their fault. The second time that person wrongs you, it's your fault.
Good post. I've been doing a lot of thinking and reading lately and, to me the world is the world, meaning that a person needs to shift their thinking from what the world has done to me, to, how do I react to the world.

I guess what I trying to say is that the only thing we can control is how we interupt what happens in our lifes, and what can I do about my situation.

People need to stop blaming everything and everyone around them for what happens to them.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:39 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,606,213 times
I agree 10000% w/you all. From fat to thin, rich to poor........"it's not my fault" bs needs to go.

I think that most feel "obligated" to something, yet "earning" is out the window anymore.

good posts!

Old 10-25-2008, 04:46 PM

213 posts, read 782,297 times
something I learned:

When people cannot defend their own actions they try to direct your attention elsewhere. They will mudsling, etc. to get the heat off of themselves. They get away with it because their audience isn't savvy enough to see they are being led. Trick that you will see employed greatly in an election year.
This is why education is important!!!!!!!!!
This is what it means to "question authority".

Old 10-25-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stace08 View Post
something I learned:

When people cannot defend their own actions they try to direct your attention elsewhere. They will mudsling, etc. to get the heat off of themselves. They get away with it because their audience isn't savvy enough to see they are being led. Trick that you will see employed greatly in an election year.
This is why education is important!!!!!!!!!
This is what it means to "question authority".
This reminds of the saying "When you have the facts, pound the facts, when you don't have the facts, pound the table."

Last edited by Chowhound; 10-25-2008 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: type o

Old 10-25-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I agree 10000% w/you all. From fat to thin, rich to poor........"it's not my fault" bs needs to go.

I think that most feel "obligated" to something, yet "earning" is out the window anymore.

good posts!
Speaking of fat, I've known a few people who were just morbidly obese. Yet they keep talking about their glandular problem. Honest to God, I worked with a woman who kept talking about her obesity due to her glandular problem, but never seemed to have an issue with eating a Big Mac, jumbo fry, apple pie and several sodas every day.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This reminds of the saying "When you have the facts, pound the facts, when you don't have the facts, pound the table."
I love that saying. I've never heard it before. Rep for you, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships