Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:25 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,436,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeofthestorm View Post
I find the two things I value the most - privacy and independence - are the first things I have to give up when getting into a relationship. I didn't have those when I was married, either, but discovered them after I left my husband. And for some silly reason, I seem to attract (or be attracted to) men who want to move right in!

Nope. Ain't happening.
Privacy and independence are two of the main reasons why I'm single as well. I enjoy my solitude too much to have someone constantly present.

Also my relationship dealbreakers eliminate probably 98% of the single male population here in Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 09:37 AM

77,920 posts, read 60,076,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeofthestorm View Post
I find the two things I value the most - privacy and independence - are the first things I have to give up when getting into a relationship. I didn't have those when I was married, either, but discovered them after I left my husband. And for some silly reason, I seem to attract (or be attracted to) men who want to move right in!

Nope. Ain't happening.
I don't think you have to give up those two things to get a relationship. I've seen a number of couples that have reached agreeable compromises on this topic. The idea of taking off for a week to go fishing or the wife to take off with her friends for a fun week with her college girlfriends don't seem too hard to grasp I guess.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 AM

42,831 posts, read 87,997,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The idea of taking off for a week to go fishing or the wife to take off with her friends for a fun week with her college girlfriends don't seem too hard to grasp I guess.
No, in theory they're not too hard to grasp at all; however, in reality it doesn't happen often.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:51 AM

36,100 posts, read 30,588,867 times
Quote:
I don't think you have to give up those two things to get a relationship.
I agree math, but it does take work. I enjoy my privacy and my bf is accommodating, but I do have to keep reminding him that I need to be alone often. Of course we dont live together so that helps.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:08 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,567,761 times
Hhmm...why I'm still single? Let's see:

* Too busy to talk to a guy.
* There's no guy worth my time right now.
* Can't find one who is interested in me and not thinking of being in between my legs!
* Be..cause I...want to?
* Most guys here in my city have kids already. (oh well)
* It's not the time to get married yet.
* I'm going back to school and get my life rolln.'
* No guy out there who can be interested pass my looks.
* No young guy that has similiar interest with me...without lying!
* Independence.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:11 AM

27,264 posts, read 27,326,525 times
Joking aside, I went through a pattern of serious relationship followed by bad break up followed by "sleeping around" followed by a serious relationship (rinse and repeat) for several years. Then I put the brakes on and figured out that I needed to concentrate on me. Now, I'm in a great place. I love myself and my own company (IOW I finally "found myself"), I have great friends and a good life. I don't have the desire to go out looking for love, but if it finds me I'm receptive.[/quote]

WELL SAID.
Though I havent really had a ton of relationships in my life, and have never been one to just 'sleep around', I too, have decided it was a good idea to just step back and take a break for the world of heartbreak, control and relationships for awhile. When Im ready to get involved again, it will find me. It always has.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:44 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,608,152 times
I could come up with a bunch of excuses, but it comes down to one thing. I don't try hard enough to meet people.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 AM

918 posts, read 1,634,105 times
Because my ex scarred me to the point to where I do not trust anyone yet.

When that heals, and I know I won't be wasting time or hurting anyone, I will change it.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:59 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,294,768 times
I can't find anyone that loves me as much as I love myself.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:54 AM

54,482 posts, read 33,793,889 times
Quote:
Why are you single?
I have no idea. If you asked me to explain to you the intricate details of what each part of a jet engine does, and what every other part on the jetliner does, that would definitely be much easier to explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships