Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,147,019 times

Advertisements

This may sound like a foolish question but I was wondering what are some of the reasons why some of the single folks are single.

ME: It's really tough for me to actually like someone enough to want to became involved with long term. Long term relationships are serious business and I just cannot get involved with someone that I "half way" like.

Sometimes I wonder if I am actually capable of a long term relationship. The older I get the harder it seems it is for me to truely enjoy someone.

No, I am not saying ALL the women I meet I feel this way but I have met my share of women that I felt this way about.

cr

Last edited by Ron.; 10-27-2008 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 AM

36,100 posts, read 30,596,879 times
Quote:
This may sound like a foolish question but I was wondering what are some of the reasons why some of the single folks are single.
I would say they are smarter than the average bear.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:36 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,083,979 times
I'm still single because men play games and/or they just want sex and they are willing to lie to get it. You can't trust them long enough to develop a real relationship.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:37 AM

^ I'm sorry about that.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:38 AM

77 posts, read 234,144 times
I find the two things I value the most - privacy and independence - are the first things I have to give up when getting into a relationship. I didn't have those when I was married, either, but discovered them after I left my husband. And for some silly reason, I seem to attract (or be attracted to) men who want to move right in!

Nope. Ain't happening.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,101,188 times
I am single because my husband cheated, and it opened my eyes to a destructive pattern of behavior in our lives. I decided that for my sake and my daughter's that it was time to break the pattern.

It will take a special kind of person to change my mind about remaining indefinitely single.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 AM

E!,

I here ya loud and clear on all points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeofthestorm View Post
I find the two things I value the most - privacy and independence - are the first things I have to give up when getting into a relationship. I didn't have those when I was married, either, but discovered them after I left my husband. And for some silly reason, I seem to attract (or be attracted to) men who want to move right in!

Nope. Ain't happening.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:09 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,002,320 times
Guess because I haven't been out of my mind in the past 2 years. I was pretty busy, too. Perhaps that also kept me out of trouble. Well, in addition to the "lovely" lifestyle of general isolation mainly responsible for it as well as the Nazi anti-smoking laws essentially robbing me of any social life. Of course, all of the above CAN be circumvented should I put me mind into messing me life.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:24 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,922,774 times
"Men who run our lives and take our money?"
-Vivian Ward from Pretty Woman

Joking aside, I went through a pattern of serious relationship followed by bad break up followed by "sleeping around" followed by a serious relationship (rinse and repeat) for several years. Then I put the brakes on and figured out that I needed to concentrate on me. Now, I'm in a great place. I love myself and my own company (IOW I finally "found myself"), I have great friends and a good life. I don't have the desire to go out looking for love, but if it finds me I'm receptive.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:24 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,211,063 times
I'll third that privacy and independence and agree whole heartedly with an unwillingness to settle.

I could date local guys but I question the gene pool.

It does not take me very long to see the other parties agenda. I dated a man and he said to me that he could see us growing old together. I asked him what he saw. He said he could see himself in a wheelchair and me pushing him. It had to end. I just could not. I refused to date for a good six months.

I then dated a man whom I fell madly in love with. He is a very sick man. He has sarcoisis(sp?) which is lifelong as it is in his liver. If I remember that correctly and diabetic. He has a lot of infections that develop in his feet. He is currently in the hospital due to a foot infection. I ended this relationship for other reasons. However, this is one of the reasons that I cannot take up again with him. In the back of my mind are the questions that keep popping up. Such as,"Are you even interested in me or do you need someone to take care of you?" "Are you here because you love me or because you are afraid of dying alone?" "Are you settling?"

I am still single because I need an intense attraction to an individual and I won't settle and I won't tolerate a self serving agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships