Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:26 AM

663 posts, read 777,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I know a number of women who married in their 40's after building their career. In fact, there's another thread here where a guy in his 30's is saying he wants a woman with a career who can support herself, and other guys chimes in and said that self-supporting women are very attractive.
How come some people are unable to understand what a generalization is?

Techcrium: Most people in prison for 10+ years have a hard time establishing a meaningful career when they leave

Ruth4Truth: That's not true. I know a number of prisoners who became millionaires starting their own business.

Techcrium: Most kids today prefer sitting at home playing video games instead of going outside and playing at the park compared to 20 years ago.

Ruth4Truth: That's not true. My neighbors kids are always outside playing in the park

Techcrium: Most dogs make a barking sound.

Ruth4Truth: That's not true. I know a dog that only whimpers when it makes a sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 12:53 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
How come some people are unable to understand what a generalization is?

Techcrium: Most people in prison for 10+ years have a hard time establishing a meaningful career when they leave

Ruth4Truth: That's not true. I know a number of prisoners who became millionaires starting their own business.

Techcrium: Most kids today prefer sitting at home playing video games instead of going outside and playing at the park compared to 20 years ago.

Ruth4Truth: That's not true. My neighbors kids are always outside playing in the park

Techcrium: Most dogs make a barking sound.

Ruth4Truth: That's not true. I know a dog that only whimpers when it makes a sound.
Her post is almost two years old. Did you click on her screen name and go through each and every post she's made since registering just to revive a two year dead thread and call her out on it?

Really?

Two years man.

Two.

Years.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:08 PM

101 posts, read 158,884 times
I would say most do. By the time a person gets to 40 they have seen far too many other people getting burned.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:20 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
It's not unusual at all for people older than 40 to meet, fall in love, and marry.

But usually, it's a second marriage. I know only one person, a colleague of mine, who married for the first time at 50.

I don't think it's so much a "sell-by" thing as much as if you get to 40 without ever having felt strongly enough about someone to want to commit the rest of your life to him or her, it's because you've built your life so that it won't happen: You've chosen to make your career your top priority over it (as you have), you've chosen partners that you know on some level are not going to want or be compatible for marriage, you've maintained relationships even though you know there's no future in them, etc. In other words, if you wanted a wife and family that badly, they would have been your priority once you hit about 30, not schooling and career.

Not saying people can't change their minds. Just that by 40, people tend to be set in their ways. Their habits, or default, are self-centric, and that's hard to break. They may not even realize how self-centric they've become.

FWIW, I'm 47, and divorced. I feel that if it's in someone to integrate their lives with someone else, it happens before they have to deconstruct their lifestyles for it to work, usually by their early 30s. Or, to be completely blunt, people are either the marrying kind or they're not, and most people figure it out by their early 30s and figure out what they need to do to make it happen. Not all, but most.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:55 PM

19 posts, read 24,870 times
If I was in your position I would go get a Russian bride or something. Your time is running away from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships