U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 PM

4,228 posts, read 3,328,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
I'm 40, and have had a few long term relationships, but nothing that ever came close to marriage- I want a wife and children- a family of my own, but am seriosly wondering if that will ever happen. I've noticed most women who spark my interest are already taken..So much for focusing my attention on my schooling and career.

Do most American men-and women who have never been married by 40 stay that way? I hope i didn't miss my window of opportunity...

Anyone here meet your significant other after you were 4o years of age?
You did not miss anything since marriage is just a piece of paper in a LTR.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,021,351 times
Two things:
1) People give up, knowing that the numbers game makes it ridiculously more unlikely, and
2) There is nothing more IRRITATING than having someone try to set you up when they know your parameters and ignore them. In several cases, it has meant the end of the friendship with the matchmaker (and their SO).

Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 PM

11,512 posts, read 15,640,679 times
i understand. letting others do things for you(like fix you up with someone) can be a tricky business. all of a sudden you can feel like they are focusing on your 'weak" points(according to them) and suddenly you hate them

Old 04-19-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i understand. letting others do things for you(like fix you up with someone) can be a tricky business. all of a sudden you can feel like they are focusing on your 'weak" points(according to them) and suddenly you hate them
Not really. Two things:
1) they have no business getting involved, and
2) they (95+% of the time a woman) want to get a better deal for her female friend than for you

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-19-2012 at 07:11 PM..

Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 PM

885 posts, read 700,167 times
Im just too selfish I think.

When I want to go on my boat, I want to go......I dont want to go to my SO's family party, or go to their house for dinner.........I want to go boating!!

When I want to hang out and chill, leave me alone......etc etc etc

I'm 31........and have had one serious relationship where I thought we'd end up married- it was 8 years ago. She is now married, I havent even had a "serious" thing since then. Just little hook ups here and there..

Old 04-19-2012, 07:20 PM

32,411 posts, read 18,398,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
I'm 40, and have had a few long term relationships, but nothing that ever came close to marriage- I want a wife and children- a family of my own, but am seriosly wondering if that will ever happen. I've noticed most women who spark my interest are already taken..So much for focusing my attention on my schooling and career.

Do most American men-and women who have never been married by 40 stay that way? I hope i didn't miss my window of opportunity...

Anyone here meet your significant other after you were 4o years of age?
The 40's are prime marriage age, actually. A lot of women who've spent their 20's and 30's establishing themselves in their careers are ready to get serious and settle the personal side of their lives in their 40's. You have nothing to worry about, and everything to look forward to! Enjoy!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:24 PM

199 posts, read 160,728 times
[quote=Mathguy;5907347]No offense but I find a lot of people single at 40 have done so for a reason. There are some exceptions.

I know a girl at work close to that age that is attractive but a train wreck in all other aspects. She only dates guys that are basically *HOT* and there is no way they are going to keep her around for anything but fun longterm. She is never getting married but doesn't realize this.

Last gal I dated was similar. Checklist of exclusions a mile long....she had a built in minefield. We were just activity partners really as we already had deal breakers on the table. It took me about 3 weeks to finally trip one of her mines (don't know what it was, don't really care) we parted friendly but that gal is never getting married. Ever. I never would have kept dating her if the deal breakers hadn't already been on the table and it was just activity stuff.

I have another date upcoming with a hyper-professional type....39 never married. We are just talking activity partner (works for me) as she is basically looking for absolute Mr. Perfect and he is out of her league. I think she is likely emotionally immature.

My co-worker told me that people that get older without kids, spouse etc. are often incapable of developing that true love sacrificing relationship and as such can't get over problems that will arise in any relationship. Basically, first problem that comes up is the end of the relationship.[/quote]

It is sad, but true we get more set in our ways, making it difficult to have an emotional relationship.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I'm 42 and single and shouldn't be. I'm a guy who wants to be married and in a committed relationship.
Are the opportunities for dating in Atlanta decent? Or are you just in a place where you don't want to deal with that now?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 PM

42,844 posts, read 54,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Are the opportunities for dating in Atlanta decent? Or are you just in a place where you don't want to deal with that now?
He found someone. And promptly disappeared! He'll be back once it's over.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
He found someone. And promptly disappeared! He'll be back once it's over.
How long ago was that? Did he give any description of her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships