Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

That's too old school ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Oh I almost forgot 2 more good ones:

"I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor (or is it Donna Summer?) and RESPECT-Aretha Franklin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 04:43 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,494,585 times
'Express Yourself' by Madonna.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
OMG I love that song. I also like Holiday by Madonna....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
'Express Yourself' by Madonna.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:36 PM

461 posts, read 1,449,707 times
"Gravel" and "Dilate" by Ani Difranco... among others, but those really fit the situation

Old 10-30-2008, 06:45 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I actually can't answer the thread's question, and I don't want to hijack the thread, but I had a related insight / question.

I have this thing happen where, whenever I have a rough time, I'm obviously still listening to music. I assume most of us still listen to music at least on a weekly basis, no matter how great or bad our lives are going. Well, the issue is, if I listened to a song during a particularly bad period of my life, it's basically ruined for me. I'm not sure if it's forever, but at least for 5 years. At least. I can still remember certain songs from 7-8 years ago, up to 9 years ago (not beyond that, but I never remember a bad period if time before 9 years ago either), and if I hear those songs now I (and this is rare for me) lose objectivity. Instead of thinking, "Oh yes, this is a great song, one I have heard many times, and if I had to rate it musically it would be a 9 out of 10," I think, "Oh god, yeah, 2 years ago, my mom had just died of cancer, I heard this song on the radio, I downloaded it, must have heard it 20 times," and that's that. I can't listen to it anymore. If it's far enough back, and the events that were bad at the time don't seem bad to me anymore, the song regains some of its luster. Like if what I thought was a big deal at the time seems silly to me now, but that's not going to happen with some life events. It's kind of sad to me because it means entire parts of my music library are basically ruined. Even songs with associated good memories may have some negative elements to them. But once a song is bound, it's bound, good or bad. Even if I listen to an old favorite, during a bad time, it won't create bad associations, oddly enough. Only if the first time I heard the song was during that bad period, or during a good period. I know that sounds strange, but I can vividly recall details of certain songs and when I first heard them played, and that makes some really great songs (essentially) permanently ruined. It's almost so bad that if my life isn't good at that point, I want to avoid all music so this doesn't happen, because it's a shame for numerous really great songs to be ruined by something subjective, something emotional, rather than the objective reality of the song.
I have a song like that

Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,680 times
Linkin Park- In The End
Smile Empty Soul- This is War
Josh Groban- You Raise me Up
Usher- Love in the Club
Flashdance lol
Hinder- Go Home and Get Stoned
American Idols- Shout to the Lord
Queen latifah- I know Where I been
Chris Brown- Try a little Tenderness
Steve Jablonsky- My Name is Lincoln

this playlist works like a charm everytime

Old 10-30-2008, 06:58 PM

918 posts, read 1,643,007 times

YouTube - Guns N' Roses - November Rain

Old 10-30-2008, 07:51 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
hmmmm well there are alot of songs that make me feel better,or reflective or remember somebody or a time or moment or make me feel hyped or whatever

but I friggin love this song..................

YouTube - Lionel Richie & De Laatste Show-band - Easy (live)

and a painful song that reminds me of someone...........guess I'll be having bad dreams tonight.

YouTube - Bryan Adams- Everything I Do

Old 10-30-2008, 08:25 PM

378 posts, read 337,416 times
For some reason, Steely Dan's "Deacon Blue" help me get through my first divorce, although it made me cry everytime I heard it. Ani DiFranco's "Building and Bridges" is the song I fall back on these days when I need a mental booster.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:32 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,004 times
Keep on loving you and Can't fight this feeling...REO Speedwagon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships