Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:17 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,048,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
yup this is the kind of person who agrees with you ron! "own kind"
There's nothing wrong with befriending people of all backgrounds, but when it comes to having a serious relationship with one special person, things work out best when you have as much as possible in common with that person.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that we should be accepting of people that lie to us about their backgrounds?

If my husband had been truthful, there might have been a chance for us. Had he been honest, I could have helped him rid himself of all the vices that controlled his life. I tried to for almost 12 years, but the lying never stopped. I don't think anyone here, including Ron, is saying that these people are horrible for doing what they did, but it's the lying that's the terrible part here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 11:19 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,071,924 times
It' amazing how far we'll rationalize terrible things as long as its against something we believe in. Like how a guy whose about to be president advocates killing a baby 2/3rds of the way born. Because we agree with some of his other stances. And he's the best of two choices. We accept too much once we feel we agree on a single principle.

What this guy is doing is terrible. He's painting a terrible picture of these guys,guys who obviously trust him, but he's doing it to protect you. Hey lets take out ads and get some billboards against homeless guys dating!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:22 AM

37,454 posts, read 45,651,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I'll tell you what...........let it go.

I came on CD to post this based on something I felt needed to be said. Most that have posted understand what I am saying....except you.

Pleae don't twist my message into something that it's not.

I guess the saying holds true.Misery does love company. I was doing something out of the goodness of my heart and you totally have it twisted.

cr

No worries. I understood your intentions exactly, and I think MOST people here do.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
It' amazing how far we'll rationalize terrible things as long as its against something we believe in. Like how a guy whose about to be president advocates killing a baby 2/3rds of the way born. Because we agree with some of his other stances. And he's the best of two choices. We accept too much once we feel we agree on a single principle.

What this guy is doing is terrible. He's painting a terrible picture of these guys,guys who obviously trust him, but he's doing it to protect you. Hey lets take out ads and get some billboards against homeless guys dating!
OK, now I get what you're saying. You think that Ron is 'ratting out' the people that he is supposed to be helping.

So, if one of the people that you were helping was planning a murder, you wouldn't be inclined to report them? What's the difference? These men are plotting to take advantage of women and he's sending out a warning. Wouldn't you lean towards protecting the innocent first and foremost?

Old 11-03-2008, 11:27 AM

37,454 posts, read 45,651,211 times
Quote:

Oh good grief. You obviously have issues that you feel strongly about, and in fact I believe this cause you hold so dear is a good one. However, you've totally misread the intent here. So climb down off the horse and put down the sword. He is NOT painting a picture of anyone. He is reminding women to use some common sense instead of being dangerously naiive!!! Geesh!!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,290,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
How about a guy with several degrees, well-spoken, had a great family, well-dressed, etc... His wrap sheet was a mile long. When we start thinking that we're too smart to be fooled, we will be.
Rons post is about men living in shelters, who don't have much going for them. The type of guy you mention is a whole 'nother animal. I've lived on the wild side, have street smarts and have just as much game in me as some of these people. It doesn't take much to dig up info on anybody. There's google for starters and even better with just a creditcard and keyboard, you can find out about peoples criminal records, where they've lived for the past 10 years, credit information, divorces, marriages etc.

Besides a lot of it is common sense.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Rons post is about men living in shelters, who don't have much going for them. The type of guy you mention is a whole 'nother animal. I've lived on the wild side, have street smarts and have just as much game in me as some of these people. It doesn't take much to dig up info on anybody. There's google for starters and even better with just a creditcard and keyboard, you can find out about peoples criminal records, where they've lived for the past 10 years, credit information, divorces, marriages etc.

Besides a lot of it is common sense.
So, your answer is to do a background check on everyone you date?

BTW... the background check I eventually ran didn't come up with anything. You have to have an idea of the where, when and how to get any info at all and then it's vague and you have to keep searching. It's not that simple.

Last edited by MommyV; 11-03-2008 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: info

Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,290,091 times
Quote:

I don't think what he's doing is terrible....he's just commenting on these guys behaviour and yes, it's good to be charitable to your fellow man and all that, but I can assure you some of these guys aren't very nice and would cut you down in a heart beat. If he was posting their photos, names and cell phone# I could understand, but it's just a general statement for what it's worth.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,345,638 times
Quote:

You have completely missed the point of the post, are putting words in peoples mouths they didn't say AND going off topic. Why not give it a rest?

Old 11-03-2008, 11:38 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,962,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You have completely missed the point of the post, are putting words in peoples mouths they didn't say AND going off topic. Why not give it a rest?
Because a nerve has been touched here. When somebody goes off on something this innocuous, there's got to be something there. It's kind of like when I wrote the thread criticizing people selling AmWay, et al. One poster just went totally off the rails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships