Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:24 AM

137 posts, read 394,777 times

Advertisements

I am 24 years old and I recently found out my dad has been having an affair with another married woman for the last 6 months. My mom discovered it, and he admitted it. I talked with him recently and he isn't sure what he wants next in life. I'll be moving to a new city soon, and he said that things would really need to change between he and my mom for him to stay in that relationship.

My real problem is that I pretty much completely understand where he is coming from and why he wants this. My mom isnt the easiest person to live with... but at the same time, I know what he did was wrong and I don't want to take his "side" on this. My mom is not doing well with the whole situation.

How can I be comforting to her while also being understanding to my dad?

I know this isn't a unique situation, so I was hoping you all could shed some light on things.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:28 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
I would say something along the lines of: "I know what dad did was wrong but he's still my dad and I still love him. I may be an adult but I still think parents should never expect their children to 'take a side' - I love both of you and I still want to maintain healthy relationships with both of you. I hope you understand."

Old 11-06-2008, 09:28 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake786 View Post
I am 24 years old and I recently found out my dad has been having an affair with another married woman for the last 6 months. My mom discovered it, and he admitted it. I talked with him recently and he isn't sure what he wants next in life. I'll be moving to a new city soon, and he said that things would really need to change between he and my mom for him to stay in that relationship.

My real problem is that I pretty much completely understand where he is coming from and why he wants this. My mom isnt the easiest person to live with... but at the same time, I know what he did was wrong and I don't want to take his "side" on this. My mom is not doing well with the whole situation.

How can I be comforting to her while also being understanding to my dad?

I know this isn't a unique situation, so I was hoping you all could shed some light on things.

Thanks!
i'm really sorry you have to go through this....I would think that keeping an open mind and not showing any bias for either side would be the best for you and your parents.....just be sure to let each of them, especially your mom, know you are there for them.....that's really all you can do.....eventhough your their child, try to limmit your involvment in their relationship and be there for them as their child.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:37 AM

137 posts, read 394,777 times
Thanks, I guess that's what I needed to hear. It's hard because I am the only child and I have always been so involved with both of them. But you are right, I need to let them deal with this as a couple.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:39 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Thanks, I guess that's what I needed to hear. It's hard because I am the only child and I have always been so involved with both of them. But you are right, I need to let them deal with this as a couple.
Thats correct. Another way to think about it is "to listen more than speak." Both may just need a sounding board rather than advice. Good luck young man.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:52 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
It's always kind of a shocker when we come to terms with the fact that our parents are only humans with flaws.
Your father stayed in an unhappy marriage until you were launched, so that's in his favor.
You are a grown up and you will have some physical distance from both of them. I'd suggest you just be careful not to become the "dumpee" for both of them. Don't let your mother unload about your Dad, or vice versa. Remain Switzerland.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Don't take sides. This is between them.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:03 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
I agree with what everyone has said here. Just listen when they want to talk. They need to get advice from someone other than their own child. It isn't fair to involve you in this because you are emotionally tied to the situation - these are your parents. Love both of them, be understanding, but when you start hearing the "hairy" details, tell them they need to talk to an outside source to sort out this mess. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I agree with what everyone has said here. Just listen when they want to talk. They need to get advice from someone other than their own child. It isn't fair to involve you in this because you are emotionally tied to the situation - these are your parents. Love both of them, be understanding, but when you start hearing the "hairy" details, tell them they need to talk to an outside source to sort out this mess. Good luck.
I know it's sad......i'm 27 and I still think of my parents as superhero's lol.....it's tough when you have to be brought back down to reality and face the fact that your parents really are only human.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:08 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
That really is the best attitude you can take - this is between them and if you take sides you'll just exacerbate the pain you all feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships