Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 12:35 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times

Advertisements

Why do people badmouth online dating?

From my perspective, it shows too much insecurity. Yeah, that may offend some of you, but oh well.

Some people say that they are too busy to go out and meet people, so they use the online service. Hmmm, yeah right. If you are too busy to actually go and mingle, then you are too busy to date.

Some people say that they are too shy and that it is easier to be open when they chat online. Umm, ok. So what, are we going to have a conversation via text messaging when we actually go out on a date?

Some people do not like bars, clubs, parks, grocery stores and anywhere else two people might bump into each other and start up a conversation. Ok, so basically you are agoraphobic or have some other societal phobia. Great conversationalist, but effin' boring other wise. Oh, you want to stay in and watch a movie, agian?

Some people claim that they have been burned one too many times and are looking for a more perfect match. Sorry toots, you're looking in the wrong place. All you are doing, really, is fishing through the pile of trash in hopes of finding something usable.

A lot of these people are just looking for one night stands anyways. I know that some of you have stories of you or someone you know meeting great people online, and it does happen -don't get me wrong- but this whole notion of meeting people online is just pathetic.

I could go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 12:37 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

I could go on.
Please do. Enlighten us!

Old 11-13-2008, 01:56 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
K luv is correct because a lot of people just want to " get it on" and "stick their light saber where the sun don't shine" and them move on to the next "black hole"...

Quote:

From my perspective, it shows too much insecurity. Yeah, that may offend some of you, but oh well.

Some people say that they are too busy to go out and meet people, so they use the online service. Hmmm, yeah right. If you are too busy to actually go and mingle, then you are too busy to date.

Some people say that they are too shy and that it is easier to be open when they chat online. Umm, ok. So what, are we going to have a conversation via text messaging when we actually go out on a date?

Some people do not like bars, clubs, parks, grocery stores and anywhere else two people might bump into each other and start up a conversation. Ok, so basically you are agoraphobic or have some other societal phobia. Great conversationalist, but effin' boring other wise. Oh, you want to stay in and watch a movie, agian?

Some people claim that they have been burned one too many times and are looking for a more perfect match. Sorry toots, you're looking in the wrong place. All you are doing, really, is fishing through the pile of trash in hopes of finding something usable.

A lot of these people are just looking for one night stands anyways. I know that some of you have stories of you or someone you know meeting great people online, and it does happen -don't get me wrong- but this whole notion of meeting people online is just pathetic.

I could go on.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:00 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:

I could go on.
How do I give negative reputation points? This is exactly the kind of narrow-mindedness that prompted me to start this thread in the first place. Are you just trying to start a flame war?

You tell busy people to go and mingle. Where? What if all the places they've gone too (bars, clubs, church, parties) haven't yielded anyone worth dating? If all the places you've tried haven't worked out, then it makes perfect sense to try someplace new. Online gives you a lot more people to "mingle" with.

Not everyone is socially aggressive. Some people are shy. Did it ever occur to you that by meeting someone online and discovering they have something in common, that makes it easier to talk when they meet in person? No worries about having to break the ice or come up with a clever pickup line.

For you to lash out at online dating and the people who use it makes me wonder why you're so bitter. I've never met anyone at a bar and don't think they're good places for anyone else looking to meet someone. But that doesn't cause me to badmouth bars or the people who go there. The people who are really pathetic are the ones who call online daters pathetic.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:02 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
awww poor lil' Denny. Did his feewings get huwt? Does he need a gentle hug and some validation??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
How do I give negative reputation points? This is exactly the kind of narrow-mindedness that prompted me to start this thread in the first place. Are you just trying to start a flame war?

You tell busy people to go and mingle. Where? What if all the places they've gone too (bars, clubs, church, parties) haven't yielded anyone worth dating? If all the places you've tried haven't worked out, then it makes perfect sense to try someplace new. Online gives you a lot more people to "mingle" with.

Not everyone is socially aggressive. Some people are shy. Did it ever occur to you that by meeting someone online and discovering they have something in common, that makes it easier to talk when they meet in person? No worries about having to break the ice or come up with a clever pickup line.

For you to lash out at online dating and the people who use it makes me wonder why you're so bitter. I've never met anyone at a bar and don't think they're good places for anyone else looking to meet someone. But that doesn't cause me to badmouth bars or the people who go there. The people who are really pathetic are the ones who call online daters pathetic.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:11 PM

111 posts, read 353,608 times
Quote:

I could go on.
So, what you're basically saying is anyone who uses online dating is pathetic because they don't find it easy to approach complete strangers, and therefore has something wrong with them? That's pretty shallow...
99% of the time I'm out doing something, I want to be left alone. If you talk to me at Starbucks, I may respond, but usually I'll ignore you through me earbuds and iPod. My point is, not everybody finds it easy to break the ice in person or start up a conversation with a complete stranger in person. And shallow @ss people who expect others to be able to do so just because they find it easy infuriate me.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:53 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
I wonder if "way back when" letter writing first became commonplace, people felt that way about pen pals?? That is was "odd" and "weird". It is just new!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 04:28 PM

638 posts, read 1,917,799 times
Again the "people" who badmouth online dating are those that are SINGLE.. GET IT.. Single.

Apparently they suck as much in real life as they do in online life and will forever be single so they trash what worked for MANY of us so that their life does not seem so lonely and pathetic.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:35 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
OK, I gotta ask. Where are you finding all these women? 29? How old are you? I'm in my 30s and don't think I could relate to someone in their 20s anymore.
Plentyoffish.com I think I just have a temporary glut due to timing. Also, I'm just dating and not really TIGHTLY filtering. ie) If I'm ultimately looking LT and a woman is more just wanting to date....it's not a deal breaker. This doesn't mean I don't have standards but someone doesn't have to meet my perfect woman list, I'm not sitting home alone all weekend.

I date the person, not the age etc. I'm 38 and as long as the person has their act together and is mature and I find them attractive then I'm willing to date a wide age range (within reason). It would be pretty dumb for me to toss someone out that is 29 or 46 etc. just because of their "age".

Old 11-13-2008, 04:36 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I wonder if "way back when" letter writing first became commonplace, people felt that way about pen pals?? That is was "odd" and "weird". It is just new!!!
Oooooh. I want to actually send a hand written letter to a woman sometime...that would be soooo sexy\cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships