Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times

Advertisements

As a guy, I was naturally curious to see what women would say. But I wanted to add one thing. No matter what anyone tells you, always strive to be yourself, not someone else and not what other people want you to be. How you dress shouldn't just be about following trends or making yourself more attractive to the opposite sex. It should also be about expressing who you are and having a style all your own. I've had a number of women tell me I dress kinda boring or that I don't wear clothes that flatter my build. That might be true, but here's what's also true. I'm comfortable. Women always say the most attractive quality in a man is confidence. Well, being able to project confidence means being comfortable with yourself and not being too self-conscious. So by all means, take the advice of others telling you how to dress better or how to dress in a way that makes you more attractive to women. But above all, be yourself. If a woman is going to dismiss you because she likes men in turtlenecks and you don't wear them or because your khakis have pleats, then you're probably better off without her. Seriously, would guys be that turned off by a woman who chooses not to wear heels or always wears pants? I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 10:19 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times
My husband generally wears suits, or suits without the jacket, nice pants and a nice modern cut button down shirt when working.

Casually, he generally wears fitted (somewhat) jeans and again a nice button down shirt, and always really nice leather loafers or shoes, he has about 20 pairs I think.

Recently, my daughter (13) told him she wanted to give him a makeover. She likes his (somewhat conservatice 38 yr old) style, but she wanted to see what he would look like with her influence. He agreed, and we all went to Nordstroms. She picked out really nice and fitted ($$$) Rock and Republic and True Religion jeans, with really nice and fitted Marc Jacobs and Ed Hardy t shirts.

I almost jumped him in the dressing room!!! OMG, it not only made him look 5-10 years younger, but really accentuated his workouts with the fitted/tight areas being in the right places. Of course we made him buy everything. Its better than lingerie. So my advice is even if you're not typically trendy, men go buy a nice high end trendy outfit. I never realized they could make a man's body look so hot!! OK cold shower now.....

Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
Buy some nice loafer type shoes like the Italian ones nice Jeans NOT tight not too baggy look at some of the European web sites. A good one is Next.co.uk a good UK store. will give you some ideas
I think you're right about the Italian shoes. I was looking online and saw several that looked like what the guys were wearing. You could tell that they were not brand new shoes and they looked comfortable and well-made. Definitely not clunky or boxy.

For Mathguy, he probably needs to get ahold of a GQ magazine, study it, and have a trusted woman friend take him shoe shopping.

What a great date idea!!! Take the man shoe shopping.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:55 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
This thread is so timely. LOL. My 24 year old son who is a personal fitness trainer, competes in body building comps, teaches dance and also competes in ballroom/swing/latin (point is ... he is built like a God ... and yes, he's my son) ...

Anyway, he comes in last night to show me his new jeans. he was going out salsa dancing last night so he comes in to show me these new jeans he bought and he's all concerned if they "look good", that they are tight enough to show his quads and hams, but not too tight, are the pockets too low, etc., yada, yada, yada. I just had to laugh because I thought of this thread. Anyway, he looked good - and not just cuz I may be a teensy-weensy bit biased.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:22 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
This thread is so timely. LOL. My 24 year old son who is a personal fitness trainer, competes in body building comps, teaches dance and also competes in ballroom/swing/latin (point is ... he is built like a God ... and yes, he's my son) ...

Anyway, he comes in last night to show me his new jeans. he was going out salsa dancing last night so he comes in to show me these new jeans he bought and he's all concerned if they "look good", that they are tight enough to show his quads and hams, but not too tight, are the pockets too low, etc., yada, yada, yada. I just had to laugh because I thought of this thread. Anyway, he looked good - and not just cuz I may be a teensy-weensy bit biased.
Ha! My son is 15, and is SUCH a nut about clothes. He's MR GQ, or thinks he is anyway. I wish the guys my age would dress as nicely as my son does. Of course, he gets his good taste from his mom!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:55 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey guys, I would like to hear more on this....I'm going full new wardrobe shopping around Christmas and frankly am looking for ideas! I *might* draft a co-worker or maybe my sister when she is visiting as fashion advisers....my sis loves to shop.
Math guy, don't be afraid to buy a pair of jeans one waist size smaller when shopping. Especially if you've been loosing weight. Another trick gay guys do is buy Levi 501's instead of 505's or 550's. 501's ride lower on the hip and have a bit of a slimmer feel. The buttons are a pain but you'll get used to them. If you don't believe me, take a pair in the dressing room, and compare the 501's with the other cuts, you might be pleased by the difference.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
Black jeans? I think thats a good suggestion. I need to look at getting some sort of taller black shoes too. I have started dating a gal that *usually* only dates guys 6'0+ but is making an exception for me (so far). I think she is caving on this issue but I'm trying to at least buy a little wiggle room. Normally I would shrug and wave bye but she is not adamant on the issue and frankly I think might be worth the fuss...
Quote:
Yeah, it's a preference thing for her but she seems to be coming out of it. If she weren't a beautiful brunette with a sharp wit, wicked humor and sparkling eyes....sigh....what was I talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You were talking about a shallow, petty, high-maintenance lady... Enjoy!
Well, in Mathguy's defense (and the woman he's dating), I almost wrote my DH off b/c of his height (5'10"). I dated shorter men, but those men did stupid things that turned me off (like pull out a phonebook to kiss me goodnight. And they always questioned why I wore heels.) and being young, I generalized that all men shorter than me would be the same and I just didn't want to put up with it. My DH emailed me three times on the matchmaking site and the first two I deleted because of his height. I can't recall what he wrote the 3rd time, but it worked...I responded. The rest is history.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Well, in Mathguy's defense
I'm not attacking him by any means. I just think dismissing a perfectly good in any other way guy (since she's met him already and apparently thinks so) because of a few inches is ridiculous. It's not like he's a midget. It’s a good sign for many more such “quirks” in her character, but obviously he’s gonna do what he wants to do.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:21 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm not attacking him by any means. I just think dismissing a perfectly good in any other way guy (since she's met him already and apparently thinks so) because of a few inches is ridiculous. It's not like he's a midget. It’s a good sign for many more such “quirks” in her character, but obviously he’s gonna do what he wants to do.

I'm sorry my post came across that way. I know you're not attacking him and only have his best interest in mind.

ETA: just realized something...I misread the post and for some reason I thought this chick was 6'0+ and dated taller guys. (forgive me, mommy brain...I'm shot.) Ok...now I know why you're questioning this woman's character. I could go on with this but I don't want to hijack the thread.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:00 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
There's something about a man in a nice suit..... Gets me damp every time!
Allllriiight...I like the way you worded that. HOT!
Had to rep you...lol

*runs out to buy suit to make the ladies damp....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships