Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 01:00 PM

92 posts, read 112,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We're not talking about the men who can't take a hint. If a man approaches a beautiful woman and she makes it clear she's not interested in him, then he should move on.
If men really did this...women would not have ever developed that empty, icy stare. If they wanted to be approached by you, they would be all smiles and friendly.

Why is this so hard to understand? Just because they dress nice or sexy or unique does not mean they want YOU. They are probably wanting someone's attention, but why get upset if that someone is not you? Going to that extra effort...or having a daily routine of looking a certain way is a choice, and does not require that the person be "not rude" to you. That is also a choice.

I am not complaining that no men are hitting on me, or that there is a lack of men hitting on me or that I can't find a "good" man, so I don't understand what a lot of the men are saying that "we" are complaining about. I would say it is frustrating that women often can not communicate in a way that men will understand when we are not interested without seeming like a b-word, and I am asking for assistance from any guy that can provide solid advice in that department... if they think it would be so easy for an attractive women to be polite and kind without sending the wrong signals, then help us out here . Other than that, I'm not complaining about the attention. I suppose if you are reasonably good at reading women, then you do not see the problem, but some men are quite clueless and beating them over he head (verbally) or calling the police are really the only options after you have told them over and over that you are not interested.

The other option that people like to throw out is the 'men as the victim' option: "Well, if they did not dress like that, then they would't get unwanted attention!" Yes, and then all the men would complain that women these days are SO fugly and fat, etc. ...or, that when they get married, suddenly she gains 30 pounds and stops wearing cute outfits Which is it, guys? You can't have it both ways. You want us to look awesome, I'm betting, so that's what many of us try to do We deal with unwanted attention in ways we have found to be most effective. I'm sorry if it is upsetting for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 01:10 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin070388 View Post
In 3 months on the job, I never went out of my way to talk to anyone and there were at least 2 thefts under my watch, yet they never reported me. Hell, they even said I was the only guard they had they liked. It sure wasn't for my personality.
Or your ability to do the job, obviously.....

Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM

406 posts, read 580,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Or your ability to do the job, obviously.....

At least you get it.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:02 AM

110 posts, read 383,615 times
I noticed this too. A lot of attractive girls have a stone face in public, but warm up noticeably when you talk to them (smile, etc).

Ones that don't probably think you're hitting on them and aren't interested.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:23 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
One thing I noticed when I took the bus to work for many years is that attractive women are flirted with and hit on to such an extent that they will often put on a stone faced look or pretend to be reading a book just to attempt to keep these pesky men away. I've also seen guys, particular the younger ones, who will just not take the hint and become overly aggressive. I think this must be annoying and even intimidating when you've got some creep in your face that just won't leave you alone. And when you're on any kind of mass transit you're stuck there until you get to your destination. I think this would explain a lot of that perception that very attractive people (particularly women) may come across as being unfriendly.
I think this is a good answer to the OP's question in a nut shell.

Actually, I was the slick guy that came in behind these knuckleheads and said something witty to the hot gal. You know, something like this;

(Geek finally walks away from hot girl after numerous attempts.)

ME: "What? You're not into middle aged guys who live at home?"

HER: "Hahaha! I don't want to be mean. I just don't like to be bothered."

ME: "I hear you."

ME: "My name is >>>>"

There are some very attractive ladies that are around the place I work at. When I started there I was friendly and said Hi to everyone. I noticed there were a few attractive ones that had their guard up.

I have been there a few months and they can see I am harmless and want nothing more than a smile and a hello back. Some have softened up a bit.

Sometimes I can be funny so that helps too.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:39 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
This is the part that always gets me. On the one hand, women want men to see them as more than just sex objects. But when their looks fade, they complain that men aren't paying them attention anymore. So you complain when your looks work in your favor and then complain when they don't. That would be like me being rich and complaining that women only want me for my money, then going broke and complaining that women no longer want me because I'm poor.
Most societies value a woman on her youthful looks than her brains and even personality. And this starts all the way back in grade school. All the schoolyard crushes are focused on the cute girls. Plainer girls with smarts don't get the same attention as the pretty ones. And so it's their looks that what most women concentrate on. They spend much time and money on enhancing their looks in order to get attention from men that they hope will pick them for a mate.

And from reading the posts on this board, and from what I see in real life, it's true that the phrase "a woman's face is her fortune" is very much spot on. Plainer women just don't get asked out on the number of dates than the pretty women do. Even an ugly guy only wants a pretty woman for his girlfriend or wife. Even a guy who has severe issues with socializing with other people only wants a young beautiful woman for his girlfriend. Even my boyfriend's mom believes this. However, I was most lucky that even thought my boyfriend loves all of me, he loves my brain the most out of all of my attributes.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:56 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Most societies value a woman on her youthful looks than her brains and even personality. And this starts all the way back in grade school. All the schoolyard crushes are focused on the cute girls. Plainer girls with smarts don't get the same attention as the pretty ones. And so it's their looks that what most women concentrate on. They spend much time and money on enhancing their looks in order to get attention from men that they hope will pick them for a mate.

And from reading the posts on this board, and from what I see in real life, it's true that the phrase "a woman's face is her fortune" is very much spot on. Plainer women just don't get asked out on the number of dates than the pretty women do. Even an ugly guy only wants a pretty woman for his girlfriend or wife. Even a guy who has severe issues with socializing with other people only wants a young beautiful woman for his girlfriend. Even my boyfriend's mom believes this. However, I was most lucky that even thought my boyfriend loves all of me, he loves my brain the most out of all of my attributes.
You are aware that some guys here have different standards of beauty? I would never find a girl like Megan Fox or Kim Kardasian beautiful. If I had to use a celebrity as an example-which I find stupid-it would be girls like Jena Malone or Kristen Stewart. Kind of plain looking girls(to you/society) that look smart and a joy to be around with is the most important thing.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:36 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
You are aware that some guys here have different standards of beauty? I would never find a girl like Megan Fox or Kim Kardasian beautiful. If I had to use a celebrity as an example-which I find stupid-it would be girls like Jena Malone or Kristen Stewart. Kind of plain looking girls(to you/society) that look smart and a joy to be around with is the most important thing.
Kristen Stewart...looks smart and a joy to be around!?! Maybe I'm thinking of a different chick. LOL And Kim K not beautiful? C'mon dude...how does someone honestly say girls like Megan Fox and Kim K are not beautiful? They may not be what you're into, but you can't deny they're beautiful.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:51 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes physically attractive people don't think they're all that special looking, and then there are some who are very self aware.

Everyone behaves differently.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:06 PM

223 posts, read 166,381 times
Does it bother a very attractive woman when a considerably plain looking man acts as though she doesn't exist while he persues an obese, considered to be "homely" (by social standards) woman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships