Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:29 PM

213 posts, read 670,302 times

Advertisements

Should you take back someone who has cheated on you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 09:43 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,937,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere1782 View Post
Only you know that, dear... Just be prepared for it to happen again.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:37 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,488,848 times
Quote:

All depends.

Do they have money?

Are they good in bed?

Do they make me look better?

Will they watch the kids while I go play?

There are a lot of questions to consider before taking someone back.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:42 PM

314 posts, read 717,651 times
old advice-are you better off with them or without them? This is a very personal decision and only you know if you can forgive the lapse. But I do agree it would probably happen again. Cheating to me indicates a lack of character.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:35 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,338,735 times
Quote:
It depends, but only you can decide. First of all, are they begging for your forgiveness? Have they said how very sorry they are? Are they willing to go into counseling to figure out what inside themselves compelled them to do such a distructive thing? If not, the chances are great it will happen again.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:39 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,812,373 times
Been there, done that. I extended a doomed marriage by five years and never did regain the trust I had for him.

It's a horrible feeling that everytime your SO is late getting home- or takes longer on that trip to the store and your old suspicions and fears return. It ties you up in knots and affects every aspect of your existence.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:42 AM

2,437 posts, read 6,990,928 times
It boils down to the trust factor.. if there is no trust.. and can not be regained (you would know if you can trust them again) then there is no need to continue the relationship. Trust to me is the number one factor in a relationship.. if you have none.. you have no relationship.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:59 AM

28,840 posts, read 30,088,362 times
I couldn't, wouldn't and haven't. Once a cheater, always a cheater....and it probably wasn't the first time...anyone who cheats on their spouse is the lowest form of slime....they cannot be trusted, they cannot be trusted with your heart....they are insecure and most assuridly for themselves, don't care about the people's lives they hurt or ruin.

Sorry, I have not even the slightest affection or compassion for someone who cheats...and even less for those who cheat with them....

Been there, experienced that...

Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,605,748 times
I have a friend who is asking the same question now. I told him this same advice. Chances are if you are the kind of person that doesn't easily forgive and forget, you are never going to get over the fact that your loved one cheated on you. You will always wonder what he / she is doing when you are not around. The thought will always be in the back of your mind (and this friend is like that). On the other hand, if you are easy to forgive and believe in giving second chances, then by all means. I think everyone is allowed to make mistakes, hopefully learn the first time from their mistakes and then you forgive and move on. You need to take some time for yourself and really evaluate the situation. If you know how, when, why it happened (because it's never an accident) then you should use that information and figure out what you need to do. If this was a serious relationship and it never happened before, then maybe you can take that into consideration as well. For me personally, if my fiance cheated on me, it would be devastating and I would have a hard time trusting again. I think if it was a one time mistake and he really showed he regretted that decision then I might forgive but it would be a long time before the trust would come back. If I cheated on him, it would be over, he would not be as forgiving as I - we have discussed this and that's how it is. We are not the cheating types anyway.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:17 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,672,166 times
That depends. Is this a spouse or a significant other? If its a spouse, do you have children?

If this is just someone you're dating who can't keep from cheating, I think that's an excellent indication that you should find someone else.

If this is a spouse it requires more careful consideration. If you have kids, you may have more incentive to forgive an offense.

My parents had an episode when I was very young. They worked it out for my sake. It was very rough going for a while, but things eventually returned to normal and there have not been any issues since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships