U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What do you think is the ideal age for a woman to get married?
15-18 8 7.92%
19-21 3 2.97%
22-25 19 18.81%
26-30 50 49.50%
<30 21 20.79%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2008, 11:20 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,262,507 times

Advertisements

For guys our muscular ability increases up through about age 30. For girls it is pretty much all downhill after 18 or 19, but that doesn't mean you can't look great at 40 still you just have to work hard
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 01:21 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,586,267 times
I think a woman should wait until her late 20s or early 30s. You don't know enough about yourself before then. You should be focusing on school and friends and yourself. Once you've "found yourself" more you should be able to choose a better husband for yourself. Plus by then you've had more experience with different types of people and should be better at weeding out the bad ones before you make a commitment you shouldn't.

Of course I think the ideal age to have children is never.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:29 AM

1,093 posts, read 2,215,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bby07 View Post
I'm just asking because I'm getting married in a few months and I'm 23 years old. I have one friends who's 19 and getting married, and one's who 22.
Actually, after 18, we assume ppl are adults and ready to make a life decision such as marriage as I did over 30 years ago..but by looking at the high divorce rate in this nation, seems some are not mature to make the decision. I would say alot depends on the individuals we are speaking of, I've know 18 yr old's that seem more mature than , let's say 26 yr old...or older... Just please know each longer than a few weeks, hopefully that's a no-brainer..

Old 11-15-2008, 11:54 AM

25,279 posts, read 27,439,207 times
I don't believe anybody should marry until they've been out of school for 3-5 years.

Why? Because you'll change more in that period than you will for the rest of your days. Your friends, your attitudes, your desires, and your aspirations will take completely unexpected directions. If you marry straight out of college (or one year out), you will change a lot, and so will your husband. Can you be sure that you will grow in the same direction?

The other thing is that it's easy to be a fun, attractive person when you're in college. The only expectation is scrounging up beer and pizza money for the weekend. However, you don't have any clue regarding the guy's character. You only find that out when he's been out in the real world for a few years. Then you'll know what he's made of.

So do yourself a favor and wait.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:02 PM

2,412 posts, read 3,073,020 times
Whenever she determines this man is fascinating, fun and reliable enough to spend the rest of her life with..usually around 86

Old 11-15-2008, 12:13 PM

464 posts, read 1,043,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bby07 View Post
I'm just asking because I'm getting married in a few months and I'm 23 years old. I have one friends who's 19 and getting married, and one's who 22.
Many Psychologists believe at least 30 years of age because youve had some experience with opposite sex relationships and hopefully have learned some things, you are far more mature , you are more settled in general and hopefully in a career as well as financially, you are wiser in choosing a lifelong mate , you are more objective in choosing a mate, you know yourself better , the chance of successful marriage is better, and you havent reached an age of desperation to get married . The difference in maturity and lifes experiences between age 23 and 30 , are light years in hindsight and I hope you will delay it.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:22 PM
miu

13,045 posts, read 22,476,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
I think a woman should wait until her late 20s or early 30s. You don't know enough about yourself before then. You should be focusing on school and friends and yourself. Once you've "found yourself" more you should be able to choose a better husband for yourself. Plus by then you've had more experience with different types of people and should be better at weeding out the bad ones before you make a commitment you shouldn't.

Of course I think the ideal age to have children is never.
Well said! I'm in complete agreement, down to that last statement about not having children.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:45 AM

14,755 posts, read 15,392,919 times
I put 26-30 because, if "on schedule," it means a college degree + 5 years of working life, or a graduate degree/professional degree + a couple of years of working life. But, not everyone makes that theoretical window, so the answer then becomes -- whenever you find someone you want to marry.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:21 AM

464 posts, read 1,043,802 times
Regardless of the age one is...it behooves both parties to go thru a dedicated Pre marital Counselling Course since this is perhaps THE most important decision of ones life. Far more objectivity needs to take place than ever before when it comes to marrying someone to avoid 'the love is blind' issue . Love/lust for someone simply isnt enough for a successful marriage , and all the many important considerations need addressing. The best book i have found on selection has to be "Finding the Love of Your Life" by Dr. Neil Clark Warren which systematically and methodically looks at the 7 deadly mistakes people make when selecting someone for marriage ---- a best seller which im sure has prevented many mis-matched marriages from occuring and the enormous emotional pain experienced from divorce.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:40 AM

8,524 posts, read 8,340,102 times
Before 30
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships