Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 11:37 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Bingo
Gotcha!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 11:43 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Ok, I'm really only here to find out wth a crotch-rocket is!!!
When I first got my Civic hatch, one of the salesmen told me that they were nicknamed pocket-rockets because they were small and fast.

I like motorsports too, so I don't have a problem with my boyfriend enjoying what he does. But while he's good at electronic games like GT-4, he hardly plays. And he doesn't play paintball. Sometimes he flies RC heliocopters, but motorsports is his main love. I just think that it's a big part of who he is, and I accept that.

His dad used to do track days at Sebring in his BMW e30 M3 as recently as five years ago. Before that he raced in a Mazda RX-3. He was lucky enough to make enough money to support his family with three kids and still have his motorsports hobby.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:45 PM

Ok, now I've clarified the terminology, it would appear that at least 2 of the married guys I know, both of whom have families, have a crotch-rocket (LOVE THIS TERM! ) and both play XBox. They'd probably enjoy a game of paintball too if they were able to arrange time away from their family commitments occasionally and the oppotunity arose.
Both of them are what I would consider mature guys, who are dedicated to their families, are good providers, great husbands and excellent fathers.
They do need to have their own little bit of downtime however, and who doesn't?

Having said that, I've also known some incredibly immature guys in their 30s who would do all three activities and then some, that you'd not rely on in a pink fit. So I'm thinking that the activities themselves aren't really a good indicator of a guys maturity, that perhaps other factors need to be considered as well?

OH and now I'm gonna go ring up my brother and tease him about his crotch-rocket!

Old 11-15-2008, 11:46 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well when one doesn't have any kids to raise, that frees up an incredible amount of time and income. What's the harm in enjoying life?

While I know many men with interesting hobbies and activities, I hardly know any women with any hobbies or interests besides their children, shopping or scrapbooking. And that's why I hardly have any close female friends and I refuse to go on any double dates. Women tend to be very boring to me and only good for showing me pictures of their kids or grandchilds, and they do this even though I haven't shown any interest in seeing them.

However, in the last week, I've met some cool women through the internet that are very involved in dog rescues.
I am sorry to hear that you do not find other women interesting. Perhaps you are hanging around with the wrong women. My friends do not scrapbook, shop as a hobby, or any of the other stereotypical activities that are associated with women. They are all well educated, have very successful careers and are mothers raising children...

We do enjoy life. My husband and I are fortunate enough to be able to vacation 4 weeks out of the year and we take our children...we have taken them to Europe, Africa and are planning our trip to Galapagos. So, no need to worry about that. Just because we place value on being good stewards to the community does not mean we do not have fun, but we do teach our children that their work is to be done before they play.

The jist of this post was leading me to believe the "men" were lazy and self absorbed and that is what I was responding to. No more...no less.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:57 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
IMO, the guys that are still doing this stuff are no different than the creepy guys who would spend all weekend playing Dungeons and Dragons in high school
And some of those guys are high powered attorneys today and still playing D&D on the weekends. Oddly enough, they aren't creepy at all now.

I think paintball is fun, except for the bruises afterwards and lots of guys (and girls) are into motorcycles. The only thing that would irritate me is if the video games consummed all of his time, but that could be true with any other hobby or activity.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:58 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Last time I checked most people didn't trust or like attorneys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
And some of those guys are high powered attorneys today and still playing D&D on the weekends. Oddly enough, they aren't creepy at all now.

I think paintball is fun, except for the bruises afterwards and lots of guys (and girls) are into motorcycles. The only thing that would irritate me is if the video games consummed all of his time, but that could be true with any other hobby or activity.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:00 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Last time I checked most people didn't trust or like attorneys.
Maybe you hang around the wrong people.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Hey OP are these your boyfriends?? ROTFL

http://static.flickr.com/125/320814152_82362c31c2_o.jpg

YouTube - Circus Attractions theme

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
When I first got my Civic hatch, one of the salesmen told me that they were nicknamed pocket-rockets because they were small and fast.

I like motorsports too, so I don't have a problem with my boyfriend enjoying what he does. But while he's good at electronic games like GT-4, he hardly plays. And he doesn't play paintball. Sometimes he flies RC heliocopters, but motorsports is his main love. I just think that it's a big part of who he is, and I accept that.

His dad used to do track days at Sebring in his BMW e30 M3 as recently as five years ago. Before that he raced in a Mazda RX-3. He was lucky enough to make enough money to support his family with three kids and still have his motorsports hobby.
One of my dearest friends is an incredibly responsible father and husband and he races motorcross on the weekends. He's always loved it and both his wife and daughter go with him and sometimes join in.

And my brother and I have had some epic "battles" on playstation or xbox when the kids have gone to bed. He's been really good about showing me all about his new motorbike and has been encouraging me to go and get my learner's permit. I just think it's entirely up to the individual what they do with their down time, as long as the work is done and it's not hurting anyone I say do what you like.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:05 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I am sorry to hear that you do not find other women interesting. Perhaps you are hanging around with the wrong women. My friends do not scrapbook, shop as a hobby, or any of the other stereotypical activities that are associated with women. They are all well educated, have very successful careers and are mothers raising children...
So what interesting hobbies do these women have besides raising their children?

Quote:
The jist of this post was leading me to believe the "men" were lazy and self absorbed and that is what I was responding to. No more...no less.
And the girlfriends of these men are probably just as self absorbed in their addiction to shopping for designer clothing and handbags. And resentful that the money their boyfriends are spending on paintball, xbox games and crotch rockets isn't instead being channeled into buying a huge engagement ring for them.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:06 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
I'm trying to think of a hobby I'd judge a man over. I'll think of one--but these won't be on the list. However, I'd be more inclined to choose someone with hobbies a little closer to my own for the sake of having something in common. This, to me, is just a matter of taste and tastes change. After all, it's always been my belief that growing old happens when you forget how to be young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships