U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:44 PM

5,305 posts, read 3,547,423 times

Advertisements

Now what? I'd be filing for a divorce asap. If I loved a man and he couldn't have children we could figure out another way. A donor or adoption maybe. But if that man lied to me about his ability to have children and then dropped the bomb on me AFTER marrying me we would be done. A person who lies and manipulates me isn't someone I'd be interested in raising a family with, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 01:47 PM

25,279 posts, read 27,439,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Now what? I'd be filing for a divorce asap. If I loved a man and he couldn't have children we could figure out another way. A donor or adoption maybe. But if that man lied to me about his ability to have children and then dropped the bomb on me AFTER marrying me we would be done. A person who lies and manipulates me isn't someone I'd be interested in raising a family with, period.
Exactly. I just have always felt that the best possible thing to do is tell someone the truth right up front.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:12 PM

3,516 posts, read 2,964,622 times
I should help you have fallen in love with this person for more than their reproductive organs. Yeah, that's something that should have been brought up sooner but it's not that big a deal as long as they're still interested in being a parent, either by donor egg/sperm/embryo, surrogacy, or adoption.

If you live your life with a "one strike and you're out" mentality then you're going to die sad and alone.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:15 PM

25,279 posts, read 27,439,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I should help you have fallen in love with this person for more than their reproductive organs. Yeah, that's something that should have been brought up sooner but it's not that big a deal as long as they're still interested in being a parent, either by donor egg/sperm/embryo, surrogacy, or adoption.

If you live your life with a "one strike and you're out" mentality then you're going to die sad and alone.
Sorry. Totally disagree. The person in question had opportunities to discuss this before marriage, particularly when the OP discussed having kids. There is zero room in a marriage for dishonesty, particularly on such an important issue.

There are plenty of things one can forgive in a marriage. And there are things one cannot: Lying on this scale is one of them. Abuse is another.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:17 PM

15,238 posts, read 17,973,837 times
Quote:

This isn't a case of one strike your out. This is lying about something that would be an outright dealbreaker during the dating stage and a pattern of deceit to fraudlently marry a person.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:21 PM

5,305 posts, read 3,547,423 times
Quote:

I disagree too. It really doesn't have anything to do with their inability to have kids, but their willingness to lie to someone they love about something so important. It absolutely would be a big deal to me and something I couldn't get past.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:10 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,732,467 times
This thread started in 2008. I wonder what the OP decided?

I could see it going either way if it were me. The OP is totally justified in divorcing his wife for a lie like this. Yes, there are "options" but those options are extremely expensive and tedious.

If he stayed with her, I hope it was because she was able to earn his trust again and stop lying.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:24 PM

15,117 posts, read 8,511,257 times
This was not the OP's situation, it was just a hypothetical.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:33 PM

1,469 posts, read 2,417,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Let's say you married someone that never told you that they could not have children for medical reasons but you mentioned it several times while dating that you wanted children and your new bride/groom agreed that they wanted children also.

Well, you finally found out the truth......( in this order)

You ask them why they lied and never told you and their reponse was: I did not want to lose you. You're the best thing that has ever happened in my life.

What would you do: stay and work it out or go

Ron
You should do a forum search... this seems very reminiscent of many other threads

Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM

199 posts, read 165,909 times
On a slightly related topic.....what would be the reason behind a woman with strong maternal instincts not having any children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships