Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
I thought marriage was a contract. Divorce certainly is! I think if I was that unhappy with my husband's weight gain I would put him on notice. If he failed to appear I would get a divorce and hire a financial guru to provide most of the things you listed about your spouse. Then, I would go dancing!

Breaking a contract can be a serious issue.

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? Makes you come off a bit mercenary..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 10:06 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Can you get hubby to go to the gym? It is sometimes really hard for big guys to go unless they get encouragement. If you encourage him, he might do it for you! My wife encourages me to go, and I do, at least 4x/week. I mean, I am a rarity; a really heavy guy who is also a gym rat. My big problem is that I have a MASSIVE appetite.

To answer your question.......yes, we have both let ourselves go.
Well, here's the kicker ... my 24 year old son is a personal trainer. He trains me. My husband doesn't think he needs to be trained. Yes, he goes to the gym but he thinks if he does 2 hours of cardio a couple of times a week he'll lose weight. Well, not when he loads salt on everything he eats and eats huge portions of food. Earlier this week we went to the gym together and my son split up our workout session so that he could train each of us. My husband said he preferred to work out with the machines rather than the free weights and doing pliometrics. It was too much for him - and it was toned down a hell of a lot for him too. I think I'm going to have to hook him up with a nutritionist so they can tweak his eating habits and make him keep a food journal. Maybe if he's accountable to someone other than me, he'll take it more seriously.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
lol, cardio alone won't help you lose weight very quickly unless you're doing something pretty intense, like elliptical or rows. The best bet is to do weight lifting first, then cardio -- after you've done lifting, the cardio will tap into your fat stores much faster.

But you're right the working out won't do much of anything without perfecting your diet. Salt, however, is not a concern whatsoever. There have been numerous studies proving that sodium in your diet doesn't make any difference for a healthy person. Only if you have a pre-existing health condition would it make any difference, otherwise you can have more or less as much salt as you want it doesn't matter. It's been hugely overblown in the media as being a big deal when the studies prove otherwise. My initial trainer told me the same thing, it's not a big deal. Just worry about the calories not the sodium.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:16 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Lift as heavy as is comfortable (don't pull a muscle) and do that a lot. Then run for like 15 minutes. You will loose weight man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
lol, cardio alone won't help you lose weight very quickly unless you're doing something pretty intense, like elliptical or rows. The best bet is to do weight lifting first, then cardio -- after you've done lifting, the cardio will tap into your fat stores much faster.

But you're right the working out won't do much of anything without perfecting your diet. Salt, however, is not a concern whatsoever. There have been numerous studies proving that sodium in your diet doesn't make any difference for a healthy person. Only if you have a pre-existing health condition would it make any difference, otherwise you can have more or less as much salt as you want it doesn't matter. It's been hugely overblown in the media as being a big deal when the studies prove otherwise. My initial trainer told me the same thing, it's not a big deal. Just worry about the calories not the sodium.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Lift as heavy as is comfortable (don't pull a muscle) and do that a lot. Then run for like 15 minutes. You will loose weight man.
Yeah, I personally don't like running, doesn't burn as many calories per minute / hour as does elliptical, so I stick with cardio that burns 600 or more calories per hour. I could never tolerate being on a cardio machine for more than 30 minutes, far too boring, even 30 minutes is a lot, so I'd rather do something where I'm burning like 750 calories per hour, and do it for 20 minutes. I've seen people go so slow on a treadmill that they're burning like 200 calories an hour, what's the point of that? I can eat half of a Milky Way bar and it's 200 calories, and I can finish that thing in 4 seconds. That's pretty bad, haha.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:22 PM

Hello

What does elliptical do and what do you do that burns 750 calories in 20 minutes?

Quote:
Yeah, I personally don't like running, doesn't burn as many calories per minute / hour as does elliptical, so I stick with cardio that burns 600 or more calories per hour. I could never tolerate being on a cardio machine for more than 30 minutes, far too boring, even 30 minutes is a lot, so I'd rather do something where I'm burning like 750 calories per hour, and do it for 20 minutes. I've seen people go so slow on a treadmill that they're burning like 200 calories an hour, what's the point of that? I can eat half of a Milky Way bar and it's 200 calories, and I can finish that thing in 4 seconds. That's pretty bad, haha.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Hello

What does elliptical do and what do you do that burns 750 calories in 20 minutes?
The elliptical, you know... you've been to a gym right? I can't really explain it that much, it's like explaining what a bench press is, hehe. Every gym has a bunch of ellipticals, they are like ski-like contraptions in some way, like a motion that simulates cross-country skiing would be a good way to put it I suppose, not exactly, but pretty close. Also rows are great, like where you are sitting down and pulling something towards you, like rowing, over and over, and fast, I can get those up to 1,100 calories per hour, but I could only tolerate maybe 7-8 minutes at that intensity. Still it's fun.

Anything less than 600 calories an hour though is pretty weak sauce. I mean lifting weights I'm getting at least that, because with weight-lifting you get whatever you are burning at the time, plus you continue to burn extra calories throughout the day after a heavy weight workout, and muscle requires extra calories, so what people don't understand sometimes is if you're working out with heavy weights, as a guy, you can eat WAY MORE than most people and be just fine. I would easy go to 3,500 to 4,000 calories per day, no problem, and had trouble gaining any weight at all. My body's energy needs now are just higher, too. Like this whole "based on a 2,000 calorie per day diet," dude I would starve if I had only 2,000 calories in a day. No way! A meal to me is probably almost 1,000 calories. I only eat two big meals per day lately, which isn't ideal, ideally I'd eat 5 smaller meals per day (of like say 700 calories), but it is what it is, and I will have other stuff besides just those meals. I would say I need still at least 2,800 calories per day, if not 3,000, just to keep my weight.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:33 PM

I used to go on ellipticals all the times. Now I'm not into it because it is boring, confining, and a waste of time.

But like you said heavy weight work outs seem to keep the weight off of me and helps me stay toned.

P.S. I've been to gyms many times.

Quote:
The elliptical, you know... you've been to a gym right? I can't really explain it that much, it's like explaining what a bench press is, hehe. Every gym has a bunch of ellipticals, they are like ski-like contraptions in some way, like a motion that simulates cross-country skiing would be a good way to put it I suppose, not exactly, but pretty close. Also rows are great, like where you are sitting down and pulling something towards you, like rowing, over and over, and fast, I can get those up to 1,100 calories per hour, but I could only tolerate maybe 7-8 minutes at that intensity. Still it's fun.

Anything less than 600 calories an hour though is pretty weak sauce. I mean lifting weights I'm getting at least that, because with weight-lifting you get whatever you are burning at the time, plus you continue to burn extra calories throughout the day after a heavy weight workout, and muscle requires extra calories, so what people don't understand sometimes is if you're working out with heavy weights, as a guy, you can eat WAY MORE than most people and be just fine. I would easy go to 3,500 to 4,000 calories per day, no problem, and had trouble gaining any weight at all. My body's energy needs now are just higher, too. Like this whole "based on a 2,000 calorie per day diet," dude I would starve if I had only 2,000 calories in a day. No way! A meal to me is probably almost 1,000 calories. I only eat two big meals per day lately, which isn't ideal, ideally I'd eat 5 smaller meals per day (of like say 700 calories), but it is what it is, and I will have other stuff besides just those meals. I would say I need still at least 2,800 calories per day, if not 3,000, just to keep my weight.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:37 PM

Yeah for sure, a lot of people don't get that, but lifting is really the best way to go. Even if you're a girl. A lot of girls think, "OMG but if I lift weights I will get huge and ripped!" I don't think they have ANY clue what it's like to workout, haha, I mean for a girl to get ripped lifting weights would be virtually impossible. First off, as a guy, to do that you really need to be focused. You need to maintain a good sleep schedule, giving your muscles time to recover. You need to eat the proper amount of protein each day. You need to do low-rep, high weight sets, like 6-8 reps at heavy weights, and you have to have a fair amount of testosterone just to bulk up. A girl doing 15 reps of various exercises is NOT going to bulk up or "get huge," ever. Some girls must really think it's easy for guys, when in fact nothing could be further from the truth. I've written books, I've directed music videos, I've gotten a college diploma, etc., but working out and bulking up is very difficult, it compares to any of those things, even as far as what you really need to know. It's not just about grunting and straining to lift weight, I've read so many articles, books, forums, and consulted other professionals just to learn what I have learned about fitness and health, staying in shape, weight lifting, etc. There is a TON to learn, if you really want to be educated about it, and since it's your body it's a good thing to be educated about in my opinion!

Weight lifting is fantastic for both genders, it's just that girls should have different goals and different ways of going about it. Probably more focus on core strength, more reps overall, different types of workouts, etc. Even for me, I'll mix in a light weight, high rep workout now and again to keep my muscles off balance, keep them doing new things, and build muscular endurance so it's not just "bulk" but also has quality to it. It's good to mix things up.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:41 PM

I learned most of my weight lifting technique on youtube. Those videos are great.

Also the times I went to the gym I would ask for advice.

Quote:
Yeah for sure, a lot of people don't get that, but lifting is really the best way to go. Even if you're a girl. A lot of girls think, "OMG but if I lift weights I will get huge and ripped!" I don't think they have ANY clue what it's like to workout, haha, I mean for a girl to get ripped lifting weights would be virtually impossible. First off, as a guy, to do that you really need to be focused. You need to maintain a good sleep schedule, giving your muscles time to recover. You need to eat the proper amount of protein each day. You need to do low-rep, high weight sets, like 6-8 reps at heavy weights, and you have to have a fair amount of testosterone just to bulk up. A girl doing 15 reps of various exercises is NOT going to bulk up or "get huge," ever. Some girls must really think it's easy for guys, when in fact nothing could be further from the truth. I've written books, I've directed music videos, I've gotten a college diploma, etc., but working out and bulking up is very difficult, it compares to any of those things, even as far as what you really need to know. It's not just about grunting and straining to lift weight, I've read so many articles, books, forums, and consulted other professionals just to learn what I have learned about fitness and health, staying in shape, weight lifting, etc. There is a TON to learn, if you really want to be educated about it, and since it's your body it's a good thing to be educated about in my opinion!

Weight lifting is fantastic for both genders, it's just that girls should have different goals and different ways of going about it. Probably more focus on core strength, more reps overall, different types of workouts, etc. Even for me, I'll mix in a light weight, high rep workout now and again to keep my muscles off balance, keep them doing new things, and build muscular endurance so it's not just "bulk" but also has quality to it. It's good to mix things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships