Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:05 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,286,213 times

Advertisements

Last night my son came home and could barely wait to share all the doo-doo his dad's girlfriend dished him over this past weekend. The woman is apparently delusional and is assuming the Dr. Phil position. She is by profession a jewelry maker (she threads beads and twists metal into curlicues). She is sponging off my ex and contributes nothing to the household, including rent. She probably took a Psych class in community college and now she thinks she's ready to "fix" my son.

Without getting into the details, she is making statements to him about why he feels like this, why he wants that, goes on diatribes about her own political beliefs, etc. She has no kids of her own, and I have asked my ex to have her back off from trying to "parent" our son.

My son has been saving his earnings to buy himself something and unfortunately mentioned this to her. She was actually pressuring him to use his saved money to spend on a gift for his dad, because the card that he made for him just "wasn't enough" - he should buy something for him too as a "sacrifice".

My son doesn't want to hurt her feelings, or his dad's, so he is reluctant to do anything but nod and agree when these "sessions" take place. On top of this, she and my ex are constantly bickering in front of him on visits and he just turns to his video games as an escape from the ca-ca. She is also a big hypocrite - she makes remarks about my son's weight, but she herself is about 50 lbs overweight - and she explains this away to my son by saying that since there's no gas in the apartment, she can't cook healthier meals. Seriously.

I have confronted my ex before to try to improve this situation, but all he does is run to her and relay all the conversations regarding our son back to her, which just gives her more "material" for her self-imposed duty as pseudo- psychoanalyst to my son. My son wants to record some of these chat-sessions because he thinks they are unbelievable. I'm not sure yet how I want to handle this situation but I know I'm not going to discuss it with my ex (for now, because he'll just run to his gf and tell her everything I said as if my concerns as a parent are some big joke).

Does anyone have anything similar that they have dealt with? I am really getting irritated by this woman's quest to interfere with the parenting of my and my ex's son. He's only there every other weekend, btw. I'd rather not include anyone in the immediate family in this until I have a better handle on it, because news travels fast and I don't want it to get back to my ex and his gf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 02:09 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,809,751 times
Can you tell the court about this? It doesn't sound good. Especially since you've had a discussion with your ex already.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Can you tell the court about this? It doesn't sound good. Especially since you've had a discussion with your ex already.
Of course I can tell the court, but I'd like that to be the last resort. I'd prefer not to have to drag him into court to resolve what should be a very simple matter. When I was living with my ex-fiance, I told him flat out that he cannot play dad to my son; he has a dad who he sees fairly regularly, and I told him that if he had an issue with my son, he could tell me and I would address it myself. I don't understand why my ex can't have a similar discussion with his gf, but apparently he thinks nothing of his gf's pep talks with our son.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:17 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,142,240 times
I sounds like she's just doing what half the people on this site and other chat boards do -- giving her opinions.

Just make sure your son understands that the gal isn't a therapist and that her opinions are just hers and are no more valid than anyone else's.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:18 PM

Make sure your son understands that even therapists' opinions are stupid and invalid. :P

Also make sure to tell him he doesn't even have to listen to her because she sounds like a conniving idiot.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:23 PM

Fortunately my son sees through her act and knows she doesn't know what she's talking about. Especially when it comes to him! But I think these high-pressure sells, with her assuming the position of the "all knowing", partnered with the bickering she and my ex put on is making for a quite unenjoyable weekend at his dad's house. I'm concerned that my son will eventually not even want to go on the visits, and then I'll be the one who "talked his head full of trash" and "manipulated" my son to be against them.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:26 PM

596 posts, read 886,990 times
How old is your son?

Old 11-24-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
How old is your son?
He's 15.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:28 PM

lol omg. That is pitiful. I thought he was like 5 or 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
He's 15.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:28 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,142,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Fortunately my son sees through her act and knows she doesn't know what she's talking about.
In that case, you don't have much to worry about.

Quote:
I'm concerned that my son will eventually not even want to go on the visits, and then I'll be the one who "talked his head full of trash" and "manipulated" my son to be against them.
How old is your son?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships