Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

I'm too self reliant to have other people helping me...I LIKE going it alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 03:57 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
For the record, lets not turn this into a Race related thread. So folks please don't starting "pilling it on".

Ron
I was getting ready to say.. and here comes the race card... wish people would leave that crap out..

Old 11-28-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian_Artist View Post
I think people are expanding the term "independent" to mean a whole host of things, many of which are unrelated.

Example: a woman can be financially independent, but that has little to do with how "clingy" she is on the couch in front of the TV. A woman can have her own opinions, all do, even if it's "I don't care about that." That alone, does not define her as independent. By virtue of her not being you, she is "independent" from you. Understand?

As for men saying that they want an independent woman, but going in the other direction in practice, both genders engage in platitudes they don't follow. How many comics out there are getting laid right now, given how many women say they want a man with a sense of humor? Exactly.

Bottom line, and most importantly: if you're a rich man, do not marry some hot, hired gun, of a bartender, who is not financially sound. She will take half your stuff on the way out. That is all.

This is quite good to say the least...

Old 11-28-2008, 04:13 PM

I dont believe .. there is truly any totally independent person any where... sooner or later.. more times sooner.. everyone.. be it male or female need a little help somewhere... if some chest puffing dude is telling you he is totally independent .. he is feeding you horse manure... somewhere in his life.. he needed someone to help him out with something...

needing or wanting an independent woman is good.. but as has been said on here already... there are no truly 100% independent people anywhere. Sure there are people who live on their own, pay their own bills, yadda yadda yadda, but somewhere along the way.. they need someone to talk to to listen to their sob stories.. get them out of a rut.. or just be with.

Even those hard core (I dont need anyone to help me) type of people need someone sooner or later.

Having a woman that is independent, defining it my way, is nice. It is nice to be pampered instead of being the one pampering. I for one would not feel scared of a woman who made more money then I did.. or who was self sufficient. As long as you and her can get along and are able to communicate.. who gives a flying flip? In the long run it makes the union that much better and easier to live life.

The truth of the matter is.. there are males out there that have egos bigger then the empire state building... that .. my friends is where it is... and that is what causes the problems.

(oh and there are women out there with the same problem... just not as many)

Old 11-28-2008, 04:16 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Just a couple quick questions for the guys out there. Do you like it when a woman is independent? she has a job, a car, a home, dresses nice, carries herself with style and class? She travels by herself?
Do you feel intimidated? Do you think it's attractive and you want to get to know her better?
Do you feel "oh she doesn't need a man", etc, etc?

Just curious! Thanks!
I've come to the conclusion that the answer to this question depends on which he has. If his wife is independent, he seems to want her to be dependent. If she's dependent, he seems to want her to be independent. My experience is men seem to want what they don't have here. Definitely a case of "grass is greener" syndrome.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:23 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Just a couple quick questions for the guys out there. Do you like it when a woman is independent? she has a job, a car, a home, dresses nice, carries herself with style and class? She travels by herself?
Do you feel intimidated? Do you think it's attractive and you want to get to know her better?

Just curious! Thanks!
I find independent women to be one of the most attractive types out there! The strong and independent women do scare a lot guys though, but not this one! Wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:54 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
When you say independent women are speaking in terms of being self sufficient and being a responsible adult? It that's what you're conveying than sure, I like women like that.

But I don't like women that scream "I am a independent women" at the top of their lungs. Often times when I hear women use that phrase, they're usualy saying something unpleasant about men.

I think that phrase is a modern day phrase moreso than anything. I don't hear to many women out of my mom and grandmothers generation use the phrase. I don't know if that's a good thing or what. But Their marriages lasted longer as well........

Also, having material things (car,home, clothes) is by far what I would look at when selecting a mate. It certainly does not classify her as being "independent".

Quote:

Just curious! Thanks!

Old 11-28-2008, 10:37 PM

897 posts, read 1,591,783 times
Waneroo and Driller1: I guess I have to be completely specific for the denser ones in the crowd. Of course traveling for work is necessary and your mate should trust you when you do so (and if they can't then they shouldn't be with you). What I was referring to was traveling alone FOR LEISURE.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:49 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm too self reliant to have other people helping me...I LIKE going it alone.
what exactly is "it"??? Because, to me, there are two "it"'s.....the first "it" would be things that I am responsible for in my own life as well as my daughters.....the second "it" would be life......if not wanting to go through life alone makes me dependent than I guess I am.....and very much so. However, my definition of indepedent is somone who is strong in their beliefs, strong in their will, doesn't conform, doesn't take advantage of anyone plus any and everything else that has to do with taking care of their own stuff....managing their own life....not asking for things they can do themselves......etc...

My best friend/brother's Fiance' lost her father in a car accident 3 weeks ago....She has always been the type of person that I would consider to be extremely independent....when she faced this tragic situation she needed us....the people who love her.....I don't think any less of her indepdence....and anyone who would is just sorry....

Old 11-28-2008, 10:55 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
When you say independent women are speaking in terms of being self sufficient and being a responsible adult? It that's what you're conveying than sure, I like women like that.

But I don't like women that scream "I am a independent women" at the top of their lungs. Often times when I hear women use that phrase, they're usualy saying something unpleasant about men.

I think that phrase is a modern day phrase moreso than anything. I don't hear to many women out of my mom and grandmothers generation use the phrase. I don't know if that's a good thing or what. But Their marriages lasted longer as well........

Also, having material things (car,home, clothes) is by far what I would look at when selecting a mate. It certainly does not classify her as being "independent".

donchya mean bra burning, hippy tree huggers???

hahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships