U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-26-2008, 09:25 PM
miu

12,992 posts, read 21,778,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I didn't know that. Poor guy... what do you have to do to get a high-profile job... Actually, this terror is going on in many low-profile work environments as well and is probably coming to a theater near us just like anything else.
I heard that Michelle told him that he had to quit smoking before she'd okay his run for presidency.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 09:28 PM

17,789 posts, read 16,860,694 times
Quote:
I generally do that, too, but no, I'm not gonna walk around with a butt in my hand. No street is ever expected to be perfect. Street sweeping has been around for ages and won't seize to exist just because the majority of Americans have been brainwashed into hating smokers.
I don't hate smokers - I just don't want to kiss them! One of my best friends smokes. She quit for almost a year, went on vacation, had a couple smokes, and now she's smoking again. And she was diagnosed with emphysema 2 years ago! I love her to death...but daaaang.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:30 PM

42,846 posts, read 53,316,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I heard that Michelle told him that he had to quit smoking before she'd okay his run for presidency.
Oh, I'm sure SOMEBODY told him, even though I highly doubt it'd be Michelle, unless she just had more common sense being a woman and really wanted the job. The way things are in this country, hell will freeze over before somebody as evil as a smoker gets to be a president. Heck, I just watched The Practice promoting the idea of a GF quitting just for the BF...

Old 11-26-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
And she was diagnosed with emphysema 2 years ago!
Well, diseases happen. My Mom died exactly of emphysema (it is awful) without having touched a cigarette in her life. My grandpa had gotten a lip cancer and hadn't touched one, either.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
Still find it hard to believe that 90% here say No
You don't always choose who you fall in love with you know
Am I led to believe lets say you worked with someone for
6 months and you adored every thing about them. But your
all still saying you wouldn't date them if they smoked lets say
just a couple of cigerates outside after dinner every night?
Hmmm... I think there are alot worst vices in this world to worry about
I'm a runner. My son's a runner. We are both very much into health and fitness. Smoking goes against everything I've worked for, and taught my son. And if that weren't enough, I simply cannot STAND the smell on a person I'm near - it's really repulsive. Darn tootin' I'm not falling in love with them.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Well, diseases happen. My Mom died exactly of emphysema (it is awful) without having touched a cigarette in her life. My grandpa had gotten a lip cancer and hadn't touched one, either.
Her dad died of it also, and he was a very heavy smoker. Both her kids have begged her to quit. It's so frustrating.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
And there are plenty of non-smokers in the dating pool, so there is never any reason to have to date a smoker. I'm big on not compromising on the important qualities of the men I date, and being a non-smoker is one of them.

I completely agree.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:43 PM

7,250 posts, read 6,533,770 times
Quote:
I've noticed that those who smoke, look a lot older than they should for their age. More wrinkles and a leathery looking face... and this even on people in their 40's.
Ok, birthday girlie, lol, that stood out to me. Not true in all cases. I smoke and still look 10 years younger AND have lived in cities notorious for people having sun damage/bad skin (Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, now Tampa) - literally, not one wrinkle to be found except a small laugh line/grin line on the right side of my lips. Not another to be found. Not leathery - soft and smooth as a baby's butt. I am constantly amazed how much better my skin looks compared to A LOT of non-smokers, and I smoked my first cig at 10 years old - have smoked regularly since I was 15, took 9 months off during my pregnancy, and had a small handful of short-term failed attempts to quit. Luck in the gene pool, maybe, but I do know other smokers who also look much younger with great skin who don't come from such a lucky gene pool. So the non-smoker is judging smokers on our skin, and this smoker is judging how much better mine looks than theirs and I wonder what in the heck they are doing to their skin to have it age so much since they don't smoke. The skin thing is a stereotype. If it were true, I'd be a disaster with my smoking 3/4 of a pack a day, every day.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:50 PM

7,250 posts, read 6,533,770 times
Quote:
My Grandpa died of emphysema. Non smoker.
My uncle died of lung cancer. Non smoker.
Biological father died of throat cancer. Non smoker.
Adopted brother had lung cancer and kidney cancer (beat both). Non smoker.

The smokers that I know, are still puffing away, still cancer-free. Knock on wood. Almost makes you not want to quit (now, I say that tongue in cheek)- when you quit, that is when problems seem to arise. May be wholly untrue, just seems like it.

My son HATES HATES HATES cigarettes. Thank God. Troublesome addiction.

The only non-smokers whose advice really registers with me - and that I listen to - are those that have beat it. They've been there, they know. Those who have not smoked - they may as well save their breath.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Biological father died of throat cancer. Non smoker.
Oh, yeah, missed that. My uncle - same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships