Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:26 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,745,547 times

Advertisements

I had a bi-polar ex,we get along great.Everything would be fine and then..
She would just get distant and not speak and break up the relationship.
After a few times of this we broke it off for good.
It was tough being with someone who out of the blue does this to you.
Thing was we didnt fight and the relationship was great.
There were plans for marriage.I hope for the best for her but im glad not..
To be on a emotional rollercoaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,794,118 times
I had a friend that was bipolar back in high school and she was on a heavy dose of medication and she acted really normal for being a teen. She was a bit depressed at times and a bit of an attention getter but other than that totally normal and very friendly to me; however, we didn't have much in common to sustain a real long term.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:45 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,870,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I had a bi-polar ex,we get along great.Everything would be fine and then..
She would just get distant and not speak and break up the relationship.
After a few times of this we broke it off for good.
It was tough being with someone who out of the blue does this to you.
Thing was we didnt fight and the relationship was great.
There were plans for marriage.I hope for the best for her but im glad not..
To be on a emotional rollercoaster.
That is exactly what it is too.

OMG! I wanted off this thing years ago. I think of a real rollercoaster and how I would have been sick by now. Let me off!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 02:14 PM

652 posts, read 2,657,619 times
I could not imagine being married to someone bipolar. comparing the relationship to a rolercoaster is perfect. growing up, I was constantly fearful for my life. It is amazing in a way how he controls himself now. He still has many episodes but not so violent. typically he will go off screaming and storm away. He is actually in a manic phase right now. going to start a wonderful business with no money, bad economy, child support, and a car payment. oh and a fico of 520. He also quit his part time job that at least paid the rent because his boss yelled at him. He is on top of the world.

It is kind of funny though. once every week or two my dh will ask whose my brother right now? In another month or so he will be depressed, and blaming everyone for his horrible life. I think his son is the only thing that keeps him going.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:43 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,533,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You call that scary??? That sounds like your typical brother sister disagreement.
Artsy Guy why do you always respond to my post in a condescending way? No!!! That is not what it was. He was BiPolar (something found out at his death by all the siblings and our father, yet our mother knew and did not share). I guess the knife that he pulled out on me years before this happened is a typical brother and sister act just because I told him to get ready because my father was coming home to take us out to eat. Now if I am 12 years old how am I to understand a condition my brother has at this age? This was the first violent act I encountered from a sibling. Now mind you he was the baby boy and I was the baby girl, all the other siblings were older.

The three times he tried to kill me during our teen years and my early 20's, and if it had not been for my father coming in the house each time he tried he may have been successful, because my mother was scared as well and provided no help while I was trying to keep him from breaking down a door I was hiding behind or one that was locked. The TV dinner incident was scary at 18 years old because I had already experienced violent acts from him earlier in our lives. The time he chased me up the street while I had on my pajamas's because I would not get off the phone for him and was confronted with a knife to get off or else. You tell me Artsy Guy, would you still consider these to be normal brother and sister disputes?

Your arrogant and sarcastic opinions and comments are null and void to me Artsy Guy. It sounds as though you just need to say something to hear yourself speak or boost your reputation. Not sure what it is. When I post on this forum-I post to share experiences and lend knowledge if I can. I am not here on this forum to be critical of others. I am my own person and I think for myself. I am not here to gain brownie points and I could care less about the rep points. I just like the social contact. I of course love to talk about families and help people if I can. It is my profession as a Family Case Manager and a Research Associate.

Before my brother pulled the trigger to kill himself he called me to let me know that he was getting ready to end his life. I got off the phone before he pulled the trigger, but my husband (now ex) who was in transit to his home- saw my brother at his death bed and yes I and only I held the whole family together during that horrific time in all of our lives. I cleaned up his apartment the next day after he did it and the smell of his death I will never forget. He did not want to be here and none of us could change his longing to leave this earth. My mother nor my Dad who is now deceased were never the same again. He was only 25 years old. I learned through his diary that he attempted to kill himself at least six times before he was successful.

Artsy Guy be very careful before you speak!! It would do you good to listen long and carefully before you respond!!

Old 12-06-2008, 08:43 PM

542 posts, read 1,095,379 times
It's funny. The bipolar person i was involved seemed to lose it whenever i had something good going on in my life. He looked totally bored @ my graduation, but, i'll let that slide b/c graduations are usually boring.

But i had a b-day pty a few yrs ago. He was all up for it up until the day. Then suddenly, he's down b/c he realizes he can't get me anything. & it's not like i'm the type that NEEDS a b-day present. I just wanted to have a good time w/the people i cared about. So he sulks and sits by himself for the entire party b/c i refused to ruin another happy day for myself. I guess he was upset that i didn't fall for it, so he took our car & went home and left me to take the train home.

Fortunately, that didn't ruin my night. I had a GREAT time & it opened my eyes as to the kind of person he was & probably still is...I broke up w/him 2 wks after that.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:43 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,489,071 times
There is no such thing as bi-polar it is just someone either having a bad day or a really good day and want to slap a label on themselves to make excuses for their behavior.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:47 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,794,118 times
Bipolar is extremely rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
There is no such thing as bi-polar it is just someone either having a bad day or a really good day and want to slap a label on themselves to make excuses for their behavior.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 8,373 times
I am Bi Polar and have been for 7-8 years, I have been a Normal person for that same amount of time. It's not that Bi Polar people are a nightmare, it's what Drugs and alcohol make them do. If they use drugs or alcohol, it washes the Medication out of the system. I have had some ups and downs, but nothing major in about 7-8 years, God and Medication have kept me stable. I am Deeply Offended that everyone on here thinks that we are a Nightmare!! There are many of Us that are quite Intelligent people, it's the few that have problems that give Bi-Polars a Bad name.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 8,373 times
This is a Reply to the guy that Broke it off with his girlfriend. If you truly Loved her, you would have taken her in Sickness and in Health. My husband Loves me an has been through my Ups and Downs with me, he loves me for who I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships