Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:43 PM

727 posts, read 1,891,342 times

Advertisements

I'm a 32 years old black man and I'm morbidly shy. First I want to note that I'm a decent looking guy.(or so I've been told) I look real young for my age(Been told I look 17/18)I've had 3 relationships in my lifetime. The problem that I find is when it comes to talking to women. I mean once I'm atleast dating the woman I'm fine....I'm not so shy.But Its the initial approach. I've had this problem since I was 12/13. I've missed many a proms/dances over my shyness.I didn't even go to my prom. Its like I'm afraid to be rejected. With my friends I'm like really sociable and friendly. I just find it hard to approach a woman for me. I've always had somebody hook me up or either I was the one approached. Its just the weirdest thing,I get butterflies and all nervous. The funny thing is is I've had several women who were strictly platonic friends and I wasn't shy but I'm morbidly shy when I approach a women I'm interested in. Help.....anyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
I'm a 32 years old black man and I'm morbidly shy. First I want to note that I'm a decent looking guy.(or so I've been told) I look real young for my age(Been told I look 17/18)I've had 3 relationships in my lifetime. The problem that I find is when it comes to talking to women. I mean once I'm atleast dating the woman I'm fine....I'm not so shy.But Its the initial approach. I've had this problem since I was 12/13. I've missed many a proms/dances over my shyness.I didn't even go to my prom. Its like I'm afraid to be rejected. With my friends I'm like really sociable and friendly. I just find it hard to approach a woman for me. I've always had somebody hook me up or either I was the one approached. Its just the weirdest thing,I get butterflies and all nervous. The funny thing is is I've had several women who were strictly platonic friends and I wasn't shy but I'm morbidly shy when I approach a women I'm interested in. Help.....anyone

Read: How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie...a great classic...

Old 12-02-2008, 08:25 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
You aren't the least bit odd in getting nervous around someone you're attracted to. Most people are.

Maybe you need to put yourself in a position where more women can find you. Then let them do the approaching.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 PM

462 posts, read 968,673 times
I never meet a stranger. I get it from my dad. I am a people person & can strike up a conversation with a stranger anywhere. I have never been shy so I dont know what to tell you except look people in the eye & smile wherever you are and say hello in passing. People respond to it.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:45 PM

11 posts, read 31,707 times
Default Hi Shy

Hi, just wanted to write and tell you that you are definitely not alone! I have had the same exact problem, which is not a problem anymore because I'm female and my loving man was extremely persistent while we were in high school..we both turn 40 this winter ...but we have broken up many times in or youth and I experienced,well, a whole lotta nothing because if I found someone attractive, with that chemistry, my outgoing self turned suddenly into a wall flower, not one word would I speak, and I would even avoid eye contact,lol...it was so awful! I think it would be even more horrible if I was a man, because there aren't a whole lot of women who are very assertive about flirting, some are good at it, and I envy them, but it seems so rediculously funny to me, I could never do it, instead I'm sure I have come across as cold,lol. Anyway, I had a seven year marriage during a longggggggg break up from my sweety, to a very nice guy who has the same trouble, maybe even worse. It was funny in the beginning because we were not getting anywhere for months though we spent enormous time togeher and I suspected he liked me romantically, he just never would ask me out, so I mustered the courage, some how, and and that was that. But, I clicked with him because I liked that he was reserved?, like me. There are women out there just like you and I think if you searched personals online you might find one just like you, and typing is so much easier to get a feel for someone without being in that uncomfortable situation face-to-face. Good luck and thanks for not being one of those grab-ass guys who really come off as so arrogant to many women, it's refreshing and we like it!

Old 12-02-2008, 10:33 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Maybe you can meet a special gal online, get to know her well, then meet in person. The first time I did that, I got to know a very special lady better than I'd ever known anyone, all through emails. Still, when we finally met I was nervous as hell. We checked into a room, hugged, and then... silence.

"Nervous?"
"Yeah," I replied.
"Best way to overcome that is to get naked."

The rest is history. We were married a year later.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:03 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
You need to have a talk with my friend Johhny Walker (black), he's a good motivational speaker.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:52 PM

Thanks a million......anymore advice?

Old 12-03-2008, 02:01 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
Thanks a million......anymore advice?

But seriously, you just need to get out there and just talk to them. I know some women are coceited, stuck up and think thy're God's gift to men but not all of them. The more intimidating they look the easier they are to establish a conversation. Go ahead.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:02 AM

Sometimes its easier said than done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships