U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-05-2008, 09:40 PM

16 posts, read 43,356 times
Default who do you invite to company's christmas party?

i'm asking this because a male friend invites me to his company's christmas party.
we're 'hanging out' friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-05-2008, 09:45 PM

146 posts, read 44,610 times
As long as he invited you to the company party its fine to go. Of course, that risks being 'inspected' around his co-workers as well. Do you really want that so soon? For people to be nosing into your business (what do you do, how long you knew, seems like innocent small talk but it isnt, its being nosy) and then discussing it the next Monday to all the co-workers, because you know thats what people do in office jobs anyway (im just assuming its an office job) Thats what co-workers do, which is why I hardly mix them in with my personal affairs.

Not sure how long you knew each other you never said.

Unread 12-05-2008, 09:56 PM

6,516 posts, read 7,490,965 times
I'm kind of in the same position, whatever. I started seeing a guy early in the summer but we only went on a few dates before I went on my summer abroad program in Iceland for 2 months, then immediately after that to Mexico for 3 months. I came home a month early from my Mexico program and he was interested in seeing me again. On our 4th date, he asked me to accompany him to his company's Christmas party in 2 weeks. I'm gearing up to go to London for 6 months on the first of January (which he's all too well aware of) and I'm at a loss as to what it "means". He asked me as he dropped me off last weekend at around 3AM so I didn't have time to ask him them, but I'm going to bring it up this weekend.

In my case, the guy in question works for a large, successful multinational internet company with a young, trendy employee base. The party isn't just some little party in the office but rather a very large themed party- so a pretty big deal. Pretty much all of his friends are from work so this is going to be interesting!

Unread 12-05-2008, 09:57 PM

625 posts, read 965,010 times
Talking no brainer

Possibility of free chow......huuummm.....head 'em up and mooove 'em out. Them pretend you "no hable engles" or only say what you want or make up big stories, whatever it takes to get to the shrimp platter

Unread 12-05-2008, 10:03 PM

thank u so much for your kindly reply, hotwire. i feel a little suprised because we are just kinda 'freinds with benefit' thing. we've known each other for like 4 months now, but only hang out occasionally. so i dont know what is this about. i thought maybe a company's party is very casual so everybody can go? not necessarily have a close relationship with the inviter? i dont have a clue about the american party thing, im from foreign country. thanks again

Unread 12-05-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdontcare View Post
thank u so much for your kindly reply, hotwire. i feel a little suprised because we are just kinda 'freinds with benefit' thing. we've known each other for like 4 months now, but only hang out occasionally. so i dont know what is this about. i thought maybe a company's party is very casual so everybody can go? not necessarily have a close relationship with the inviter? i dont have a clue about the american party thing, im from foreign country. thanks again
You should definitely ask about what the attire is. Some parties are quite fancy (like the one I'll be going to) and it could be embarrassing to not be properly dressed!

I don't know if the level of formality affects how the dates go. Honestly, I'd just talk to this friend of yours to see where you stand with each other. Like Hotwire said, his coworkers will be sizing you up and you certainly want to be prepared for that. As a female, I'd think nothing of bringing a good male friend with me as a date to a party if I wasn't involved. However, men might think differently about that. Really, you just need to talk to him.

Unread 12-05-2008, 10:13 PM

oh and he works for a fairly well known hi-tech company....dont know how it would be like...Charo, what a lady should dress at a party? just being curious...not decidiing if im going

Unread 12-05-2008, 10:31 PM

Really, it depends on the party. You can't go wrong with a black dress. And it's always better to be more dressed up rather than too casual. For instance, I'm going shopping tomorrow for my party and I plan on getting either a nice sleeveless black dress around knee length or possibly even a dark purple, green, or burgandy dress depending on what I see. I'll dress that up with nice matching accessories, decorative but stylish tights, and high heels. I'm also 20 years old so I'm dressing for my age as well- older women might choose something different (judging by what my mom has worn to similar parties- a little longer and short sleeved dresses- but it's all about what you're comfortable with!). If it was more formal, I'd wear a longer formal dress or ballgown- but very few parties are THAT formal. I have other friends who are going to parties in various sectors where they're wearing either nice pants or a skirt and a sweater. So you see, it does range a lot. You can't go wrong with a "little black dress" as they call them, but I'd still ask this guy what would be appropriate if you decide to go. Parties tend to make me uncomfortable, especially when I don't know anyone, and I feel infinitely more comfortable if I blend in.

Unread 12-05-2008, 10:33 PM

2,588 posts, read 3,360,101 times
I don't think this is a big deal. Sometimes you just want a pal at a company party. I've gone with guy friends and with girl friends. One instance was because my friend was very new to the company and didn't really know anyone. Another occasion was because I already knew a bunch of the person's coworkers from happy hour events. And, sometimes you just need moral support.

Unread 12-05-2008, 10:42 PM

146 posts, read 44,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
I don't think this is a big deal. Sometimes you just want a pal at a company party.
A pal, but not someone who may be a significant other. I'm kind of strict about things that seem 'innocent'. Sometimes, we get too friendly with our significant other's co-workers/friends/family and we accidentally say more than we should and it comes around and bites us in the rear. It may also just be a good way for the 'guest' to meet a new friend, which is a good thing.

But y'all have known each other for 4 months which isnt bad. So, you should be fine to go. Free food, wine...cant go wrong. Just be careful not to answer any co-worker questions that you know arent any of their business

One time, my x boyfriend's friend asked him right in front of me, so how did y'all meet and who spoke to who first? My boyfriend's response to the question almost made me slam on the brakes. And the next few questions werent any good either. Moral of story, careful around those type of situations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships