Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:02 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,047 times

Advertisements

I can't believe how many responses here are "talk to him" ... like there's a relationship here that's worth saving.

I'm sorry. Those gifts were an insult.

There's nothing left to talk about.

From my experience, (with my ex-hb), I can tell you that a person that would have the nerve to give those gifts would surely have a reasonable answer. One that would make them look better and you to question your right to feel bad about being abused by them. If you accept their reason you are setting yourself up for disappointment -- and more emotional abuse.

Someone like him is definitely not better than having no one in your life.
It's taken me YEARS to begin to rebuild my self worth after being married to someone like that.

Maybe for Christmas you should mail him a used Pooper Scooper!

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-07-2008 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 11:36 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,070 times
My husband's (37 years) first Christmas gift to me, was a pair of white go go boots and a red viynl (sp) coat!!!! Took the boots back and got a couple of pairs of nice work shoes and wore the coat for several years. He's much better now. I always tell him that diamonds and pearls never go out of style.

I don't have any advise, other than if you like him, then teach him how to shop.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
My husband's (37 years) first Christmas gift to me, was a pair of white go go boots and a red viynl (sp) coat!!!! Took the boots back and got a couple of pairs of nice work shoes and wore the coat for several years. He's much better now. I always tell him that diamonds and pearls never go out of style.

I don't have any advise, other than if you like him, then teach him how to shop.
The fact that he bought you clothing says that he took time and effort trying to buy something special for you. And, those choices say (to me) that he must have thought you were quite the dish!

Hiking socks and an open box of dog biscuits are not even close.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:47 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,070 times
World Citizen, I don't know how to do the quotes, but thank you very much for the compliment. I wasn't "half bad" and he did make the effort. We still laugh about it after all these years. There was an "incident" with the coat that we will never forget. First time I had ever used the "f" word.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
World Citizen, I don't know how to do the quotes, but thank you very much for the compliment. I wasn't "half bad" and he did make the effort. We still laugh about it after all these years. There was an "incident" with the coat that we will never forget. First time I had ever used the "f" word.
Yes. A man like yours wants to please you and could be taught how to shop. He's a keeper.

Sounds like a good story ~ LOL

I have one about a gold lame' jacket that I had back in the day that's probably similar!

Old 12-07-2008, 12:37 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
Chowhound..unfortunately, this is no joke. I'm still dumbfounded. My coworkers have been so proud of me for sticking to my guns and being selective with my dating "prospects", knowing my history...
Btw, why do I have the feeling you've changed your screen name and we've already discussed your history of being with losers...

Old 12-07-2008, 01:15 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
By sharing one of the biscuits he bought for your dog with his dog, he is actually sharing his love.

The socks were just an indicator that he thinks you have cold feet to take the relationship deeper.

This man is obviously creative and sensitive and should be seeking a higher level of companionship than those consumed by self-absorbed materialism.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:19 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
By sharing one of the biscuits he bought for your dog with his dog, he is actually sharing his love.

The socks were just an indicator that he thinks you have cold feet to take the relationship deeper.

This man is obviously creative and sensitive and should be seeking a higher level of companionship than those consumed by self-absorbed materialism.
Too funny

Old 12-07-2008, 01:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

LMAO, that's a fresh take on it, alright!

Old 12-07-2008, 08:39 PM

7 posts, read 9,542 times
I AM THE MAN THAT GAVE HER (NOTAM) SOCKS AND DOG BISCUITS.

I'm sure she'll be a little surprised to see this post.

She left out a few details in her original, and subsequent, post(s).

1. We had planned that I would take her shopping the next day (her actiual B-Day) and I would buy her a VERY nice outfit to wear to the wedding I was committed to being IN for the last 9-10 mionths. I had plans to get her other items to celebrate her B-Day while at the Mall, but I guess she'll never know.

2. I had offered for her to stay with me at a 4 Star Hotel (Hilton) the weekend of the wedding. All expenses paid by me and NO expectations beyond cuddling. I have previously proven I can cuddle and be a gentleman.

3. She is cold natured and it really bothers her this time of year while she is walking her dogs. Thus, warm socks and dog treats. She did not question me about the gift at the time I gave it to her. Quite the opposite, she was gidy. I even offered to help deferr the costs of kenneling her dogs.

4. I did not have as much free time as she alludes to. I had a guest for most of the week that I drove to the out-of-town airport to send him on his vacation. In addition, I had coordinating to do for the wedding, daily life obligations and other ventures that were occupying my time.

5. The Karaoke bar was a part of the reheresal dinner plans. She got lost on the way there (me and a friend talked her through it on the cell), but I ordered, and paid for, the food before the kitchen closed so she wouldn't go hungery. So, yes it was cold when she got there.

6. It was her choice to drive home after the Karaoke bar. I called her to make sure she made it home safely. She mentioned that the warning lights on her truck coming on during the drive home. The next day (Wedding day) I got up at 6am and drove the hour to her place and solved the problem. She seemed less than appreciative of my effort. I now know why.

There are other things I could mention, but suffice to say I'm not the ogar she portraits.

Admittedly, I should have gotten a card.

Moral to the story: Don't judge so harshly till you hear both sides of the story.

I too choose not to continue dating. I think the reasons are obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships