U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 02:48 AM

3,494 posts, read 12,269,584 times

Advertisements

If a man who you had gone on, let's say half a dozen dates with, and apparently is interested in "wooing" you, takes you out on your birthday, and says "i got you a birthday present", and hands you a Walmart bag with a pair of hiking socks and a small bag of dog treats and says "sorry i didnt wrap them....oh, i opened up the dog treats to give my dog one of them"?
I am puzzled. I am, and have never been, a "gold digger", and do appreciate little things and really do think "it's the thought that counts". But for some reason, this just didn't set right with me, on so many levels. Not because of the actual "value" of the gifts, but the choice of gifts and the fact that the bag was opened.
I think I would have rather gotten just a nice thoughtful card.
By the way, he's not "poor" by any means.
I am confused.
What would have been your reaction? thoughts?
BTW, we are middle-aged folks, and both are college graduate professionals.
I invite both men and women to answer. Thanks.

Last edited by NOTAM; 12-06-2008 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 02:50 AM

53,432 posts, read 68,333,696 times
he is not thinking very clearly at all.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:55 AM

Ok, thanks for your response. I am just trying to "gauge" what others think, because I am torn between being thankful, because I truly do appreciate any thoughtful gestures, no matter how small, but at the same time, it seems odd. I mean, even if I didn't have the money to invest in an expensive present, there are so many other things I would have chosen. I mean, he knows I am a big dog lover, so I appreciate the thought...but umm..i just dont know..the opened bag.....i cant even put it into words, how it bothered me. I know I am being petty, and hate it. The socks, I didn't "get"...Actually, I don't get it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
he is not thinking very clearly at all.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:15 AM

2,935 posts, read 10,531,413 times
Hiking socks and dog biscuits?
I don't get it.

This could be your fist clue that this fellow has some odd quirks. Quirky isn't a bad thing, he actually sounds kind of entertaining, that is funny.

Keep an eye on his behavior. If he's absent minded oddly funny, that's ok. If he's out of the loop and living in his own random little world, that's not such a good thing.

Are you going to keep dating him?

Old 12-06-2008, 03:27 AM

azoria..he's in his late 40s and never been married.
and no i am not going to. and not just because of the present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Hiking socks and dog biscuits?
I don't get it.

This could be your fist clue that this fellow has some odd quirks. Quirky isn't a bad thing, he actually sounds kind of entertaining, that is funny.

Keep an eye on his behavior. If he's absent minded oddly funny, that's ok. If he's out of the loop and living in his own random little world, that's not such a good thing.

Are you going to keep dating him?

Old 12-06-2008, 03:28 AM

3 posts, read 6,052 times
Unless you REALLY enjoy his company I would move on.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:30 AM

16,416 posts, read 23,387,492 times
Something does not seem right...

Old 12-06-2008, 03:58 AM

3,871 posts, read 14,678,768 times
Let's see......

"Wooing" with junk, and junk that's partially used..... What does this say about how precious he thinks you are?

Trying to "win" someone's affection and loyalty, with junk, partially used..... What does this say about how precious he thinks HE is?

As you said, an expressive card would have been infinitely preferable.
A bouquet of flowers would have been magical.

You might value the type of socks, and you might value the type of dog biscuits. But those types of objects are NOT what "wooing" is about, nor dating, nor affection, nor eagerness, nor attraction.

If he can win you with these, there's nothing left but nothing. Buh-bye!!

Old 12-06-2008, 04:20 AM

thanks...thats exactly my thought processes...just wanted to make sure i wasnt being irrational...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Let's see......

"Wooing" with junk, and junk that's partially used..... What does this say about how precious he thinks you are?

Trying to "win" someone's affection and loyalty, with junk, partially used..... What does this say about how precious he thinks HE is?

As you said, an expressive card would have been infinitely preferable.
A bouquet of flowers would have been magical.

You might value the type of socks, and you might value the type of dog biscuits. But those types of objects are NOT what "wooing" is about, nor dating, nor affection, nor eagerness, nor attraction.

If he can win you with these, there's nothing left but nothing. Buh-bye!!

Old 12-06-2008, 04:52 AM

163 posts, read 324,408 times
I guess I would first assume it was a joke or a gag gift. Then after reality sets in that it's not a joke, I would ask him what was he thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships