Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:32 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times

Advertisements

the first year my dh and I were married, I opened my presents from him, some type of hat and some clothes. Not my style at all and being young and dumb, said something to it to my mother in law....come to find out, dh had given money to HER to buy my gifts! I was so ashamed of myself and learned a good lesson.....seems dh did too, he told me from there on out that I had the checkbook, go buy something that I like myself....sigh...the things we do when we are young...

I would love to have anything underneath that tree from my dh, even if it were something I hated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 11:34 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
the first year my dh and I were married, I opened my presents from him, some type of hat and some clothes. Not my style at all and being young and dumb, said something to it to my mother in law....come to find out, dh had given money to HER to buy my gifts! I was so ashamed of myself and learned a good lesson.....seems dh did too, he told me from there on out that I had the checkbook, go buy something that I like myself....sigh...the things we do when we are young...

I would love to have anything underneath that tree from my dh, even if it were something I hated....
OMG!! I bet you could have died!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:43 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
Yes, to know that I had hurt their feelings was terrible for me. It was a hard lesson learned and I have never forgotten it. Each holiday or birthday or anniversary that would normally bring gifts from dh reminds me of that long ago hurt. I've been married for 27 years now...and am no longer hurt over such small things as not getting what I wanted, and not getting anything...but the fact that I hurt someone with my selfishness has never left me. IT helped me to grow up very quickly.

Now, I go out and find something I like and wrap it and put it under the tree....It is fun to see the expression on dh's face sometimes, especially if it is an intimate item.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:43 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,465 times
I have learned over the years to give pretty broad hints about what I want. But, I always want at least one surprise - even if it's nothing but a snicker bar of candy.

I posted on another thread about the first gift my husband ever bought for me before we were married. White go go boots and a red vinyl coat. Took the boots back, got a couple pair of work shoes and wore the coat for a long time.

P.S. I've got a robe I bought last year from Dillards and never used, send me your addy and I'll mail it to you!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
Yes, to know that I had hurt their feelings was terrible for me. It was a hard lesson learned and I have never forgotten it. Each holiday or birthday or anniversary that would normally bring gifts from dh reminds me of that long ago hurt. I've been married for 27 years now...and am no longer hurt over such small things as not getting what I wanted, and not getting anything...but the fact that I hurt someone with my selfishness has never left me. IT helped me to grow up very quickly.

Now, I go out and find something I like and wrap it and put it under the tree....It is fun to see the expression on dh's face sometimes, especially if it is an intimate item.
LOL...

One year my ex bought me a carpet shampoo`er for Christmas.
I know they mean well, I really do, but sometimes, I wish they would get you at least one thing that you ask for.
In your case, that sucks too, having to go buy your own gift, then wrap it up, just to unwrap it at Christmas.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:40 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
My DH bought me a pair of diamond studs, which I really wanted, when we were dating. He did a beautiful job surprising me with them. The only problem was that they weren't the cut I liked and had in mind. He meant well. He bought me a pair of princess cut studs b/c he thought they looked bigger. I'm pretty traditional and like the look of round brilliants. I loved them, but they weren't something I would have picked out if given the choice. It's been about 8 years and DH has always been apologetic about picking out princess cuts over round, which I feel horrible about.

Last year I lost one of my screwbacks to my studs, so I haven't worn them in a year. DH had to visit our jeweler, so I gave him my pieces to have them checked and cleaned and to get me a backing for my stud. DH came home and gave me my pieces back and when I opened the box for my studs, there was a beautiful pair of round brilliants sparkling back at me! I LOVE them!!!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My DH bought me a pair of diamond studs, which I really wanted, when we were dating. He did a beautiful job surprising me with them. The only problem was that they weren't the cut I liked and had in mind. He meant well. He bought me a pair of princess cut studs b/c he thought they looked bigger. I'm pretty traditional and like the look of round brilliants. I loved them, but they weren't something I would have picked out if given the choice. It's been about 8 years and DH has always been apologetic about picking out princess cuts over round, which I feel horrible about.

Last year I lost one of my screwbacks to my studs, so I haven't worn them in a year. DH had to visit our jeweler, so I gave him my pieces to have them checked and cleaned and to get me a backing for my stud. DH came home and gave me my pieces back and when I opened the box for my studs, there was a beautiful pair of round brilliants sparkling back at me! I LOVE them!!!!!
Awwww.... Sweet!

Old 12-07-2008, 03:02 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,465 times
I made the mistake of telling my husband one Christmas that I just wanted some small diamond studs. Small is what he heard & is what I got. Bless his heart. He did better a couple of years later. When I wanted a diamond necklace I printed off a picture off the internet and showed him exactly what I wanted. He did good that time.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:29 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
My husband had me all up in arms, and excited about my gift.
I told him what I really wanted.....what I really needed....
But > you open your gift and find a lap top computer!
How can anyone NOT be excited about getting that.
I was actually thinking more on the lines of sleepwear, and a house robe, or perfume. I didn`t act disappointed to him, but actually, I was! Is that a bad thing? I mean, we already have a computer, and I know he meant well..but why don`t some men stop to think, what did she say she wanted for Christmas, instead of buying something that you could live...without.
LOL sounds like its something he wanted too and maybe he justified it by giving it to you? lol Or maybe he wanted to do something big and thought you'd really like it?
I wanted a promise ring from my ex and he gave me a gift that is the size of a ring box, I open it and its a necklas lol. The thought was sweet and the necklas was beautiful but I was dissapointed. but something like a promise rings has t be given when the giver feels its right, not when I want it...

Old 12-07-2008, 03:37 PM

LOL....
I`m not this ungrateful person who did not appreciate it. I do!!
He is the sweetest husband ever, and I know he was only thinking of me when he got it.
I guess we are women...once we get our mind set to wanting something, then thats it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships