Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:50 PM

51,931 posts, read 52,351,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, Chow, wouldn't you agree that a healthy young person should be working just like you and I do?! Do we have our money given on a silver platter to us by anybody? Don't know about you, but I don't.
I understand that sentiment believe me, nobody doesn't hand me money on a silver platter either. Matter of fact, I've been so stressed at work lately that I'm hardly sleeping at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 01:52 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,598,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, Chow, wouldn't you agree that a healthy young person should be working just like you and I do?! Do we have our money given on a silver platter to us by anybody? Don't know about you, but I don't.
Awww..wouldn`t it be nice...money given on a silver platter!
If you look to see a young, healthy person standing out on the street corner...whats to say that he doesn`t have medical problems to stop him from getting a job? What if he has something serious wrong with him, for example, cancer, or, etc....
Its so easy for us to judge others, by witnessing them asking for help, by saying,"He is just wanting a hand out on a silver platter. He is perfectly capable of getting a job at Mcdonalds!" Some...yes...maybe. Others...no.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:53 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,011,041 times
Guess Im a rotten person. I dont give to charities save for animal shelters ( which gets dog/cat food), nor do I believe in doing so. There's no garantee that my money will get to someone that needs it. It could always instead go into some executives pockets. Necessity is the mother of all invention. I definately dont give to people holding signs on the street. How am I supposed to know if they're gonna go out and buy crack with it or something?

So..bah humbug. lol

I take care of my family and friends...strangers are on their own, especially now since the economy is so crappy.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:54 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,203,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I understand that sentiment believe me, nobody doesn't hand me money on a silver platter either. Matter of fact, I've been so stressed at work lately that I'm hardly sleeping at night.
I tell you what, I think everyone is stressed out right now. I have been talking to someone about going back to work part time in my field so my head will not be complete jello but then I started thinking it would be really nice to just stash the extra money away...too bad it would not be enough for an off shore account

Old 12-07-2008, 01:57 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,203,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Guess Im a rotten person. I dont give to charities save for animal shelters ( which gets dog/cat food), nor do I believe in doing so. There's no garantee that my money will get to someone that needs it. It could always instead go into some executives pockets. Necessity is the mother of all invention. I definately dont give to people holding signs on the street. How am I supposed to know if they're gonna go out and buy crack with it or something?

So..bah humbug. lol

I take care of my family and friends...strangers are on their own, especially now since the economy is so crappy.
That is not bad...BUT there is actually a website that has details about how donations are handled for each non profit...the site breaks down what percentage goes towards administrative costs, PR, and what actually goes to the cause.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:01 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,231,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post

So..bah humbug. lol

I do not think you are rotten at all. If you do not want to give that is fine. The animal programs I give to are mostly neuter/spay types.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:09 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,011,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I do not think you are rotten at all. If you do not want to give that is fine. The animal programs I give to are mostly neuter/spay types.
I like to know Im helping to feed them. If my boy ended up at one Id want him to have a full belly and warm blankets and toys until I came to get him ( he's microchipped and tagged to the 9's).

Our local SPCA has a store here and I shop at it all the time too.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:10 PM

754 posts, read 1,446,311 times
This post just reminded me of a story. My mother never gave money to beggars what she would do is if they were near a restaurant she would buy them a meal instead ( she didn't want them buying drugs etc. with her money) so I can't tell you have many value meals I've seen her buy. As an adult I used to do the same thing until a few years ago there was a woman outside a convenience store asking for money. I told her I would buy her something from the store to eat. This woman was in the store for about 30 minutes "browsing". I was with some friends of mine and we were on our way to a party so they weren't happy. So I told her I had to leave and she started yelling at me (embarrassing and scary btw) so I gave $5 to the cashier and left.

I know the majority of homeless people have mental problems or drug addictions and I try to be sympathic to that but people need to be careful around them. There was a couple in Chicago that was beaten by some people from a homeless shelter. What the article doesn't tell you, is that before the confrontation began, the woman (who was beaten) told them to get a job. That angered them and well this is what happened.

2 homeless people charged in South Loop attack - Chicago Tribune

Give them money if you want but do not have conversations or do what I did. I'm lucky that woman in the store didn't do this to me when I told her to hurry up.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:18 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,363,916 times
Depends. I get concerned about the people who will capitalize on our current economic situation.

Yesterday evening we were driving across midtown Manhattan and there was a man holding a sign that read "Homeless" and he was holding a cup, trying to collect money from the cars driving across town. I have to question the legitmacy of his circumstances.

I choose to donate to various charities (CharityNavigator.org is a great tool).

Old 12-07-2008, 03:20 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,605,129 times
I've heard of different research/investigations done that have shown many of the panhandlers you see in cities are professional panhandlers that made $50 an hour!

I don't make heaps of money but I give to at least one charity a year. This year there was a young and up and coming racing driver 28 years old in Australia that was killed in a racing accident and left his wife and 2 children in a bad way. I made a significant donation to a fund to help with their expenses. I usually try to pick something of a personal interest. Plus I always donate to the Salvation Army bell ringers. Can't see the big deal in passing any spare change I have when walking by one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships