Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 06:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Shoot I hope college is as good as everyone says it is, if I even ever get the oppurtunity to go. My grades usually ain't very good in school. In my freshman year I had like a 1.6gpa. Then I didn't go to school my sophmore year. So far at my school this year I've been getting As and Bs but now I've been starting to slack off again, and once I get behind its really hard for me to get caught up so I usually just end up giving up. By the way thanks for the advice so far everyone. Right now I might go with the suggestion to just get a GED. Then I can just get a diploma really easy and then start working. That or I'll pick a school from the list of schools I've gotten down on which one to go to. See where I live its a city of 380,000 and a metro pop. of 600,000 and all the school districts have open enrollment so you can go to basically any school you want as long as they have room and you have transportation.

At the end of my sophmore year I had like a 1.6 GPA. Then I decided that I wanted to go to college and got to work. I pretty much got As after that (anyone can if they work hard). I went to a college that I could afford and would accept me with decent grades and test scores and did the same thing, Started off slow then got to work and got good grades. Then I went to law school. So the 1.6 gpa sophmore is now a partner in a large law firm and is respected by owners of major companies.

College is great, but the most difficult year of my life was my second semester of college (dumped by my G.f. of 3 years, best friend attempted suicide, another close friend killed in a car accident and I did not know what I wanted from life). College is not all roses for everyone, but you can get through it becasue you need to. However I loved High School, so I guess it all depends.

Go for it. Anyone can do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 07:57 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I went through high school and college just fine without a real boyfriend. I felt that while I was in school, my priorities were about academic learning and finding out who I really was. I didn't lose my virginity until I was out of college and almost 21. I have no regrets about not having sex any earlier. My parents felt that childhood was a special time and there was no need to rush into adulthood and love/sex. I also knew that there was no way that I was interested in getting married or having kids by my early twenties.

Otherwise, when I was in school, while my closest friends were science and music geeks, I didn't commit to any one group or clique. I also had a few favorite teacher mentors and I loved spending time in the library reading books on random subjects. After school, I would ride my bike around and collect jars of pond water. I loved finding tadpoles, baby catfish and also tiny creatures called hydras (I especially looked for the green hydras) and I would feed them cyclops with an eyedropper. And from all of that, I learned to be happy on my own, pleased with who I am, I got to feel special and unique, and to this day I enjoy my own company. While I love the company of my boyfriend and my close good friends, I'm also just as happy all by myself.

So learn to enjoy your own company first. Also, people are attracted to happy confident people. They run away from lonely and desperate acting people. Be more optimistic feeling. Don't try to rush through your pre-adult years. Dating is much more fun when you have your own place (real privacy) and a full time job (money). Work on your sense of humour. Making others laugh is a better way to make friends than trying to advertise how great you are and why they should like you.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:27 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I always hear people talking about how fun the high school and college experience is. But so far its sucked for me. Theres so many mean and shady people but at the same time its like I want to be friends with these people too cause I know there cool and most likely aren't really as mean as they seem when you ain't friends with them. I've tried three things so far for high school. First I went to a school with about 1,750 kids. It was really crowded and I didn't really have very many friends, I had like one good friend. We both didn't like the school so we both left. He went to another school and I dropped out for my 10th grade year. Being dropped out sucked cause you don't get the oppurtunity to meet new people. But then again it hard for me to make friends with people though cause Im a little bit anti-social and I think I might be bipolar or at least have bad depression problems. Right now Im almost 17 and I go to a small school with less then 100 kids, its like an at risk school. I don't really like it either. Theres way too much stuff that goes on there. Then on top of that Im a virgin and Im like 17 and I've only had two gfs. I mean everywhere I go I see all the other dudes my age and their always hanging out with a bunch of girls, I don't even have friends that are girls right now.Im really at risk right now of dropping out of school again. On top of all that I have really bad mood swings my good moods which are very rare are followed by really bad depressive moods. I mean I really want to finish high school and go to college but when I look at my life sometimes I don't even see a point to doing it. So I was wondering if people here have suggestions for me to help cope with this stuff.
High school is a crazy construct. I found it to be incredibly oppressive, rigid, it didn't treat you like a unique human being, you're just a number, and the policies are meant for everyone. The testing and stress.

On top of being dangerous.

Read books like, "The Teenage Liberation Handbook". They go into the real reason for highschool and public eduction. And the lies told.

I'd focus on the world outside of school...the life portrayed inside of school is something manufactured by Hollywood, Beverly Hills 90210, etc. But real life isn't like that.

-Focus on getting out to where ever, every summer. The beach, mountains, hiking, bike riding, swimming. Don't wallow in the highschool world.

Focus on some goals each summer. You dont want to look back at an empty life from your teens to 20's.

Don't worry about labels. They disappear after school. Highschool is a small dot in most peoples life. But it seems huge at the time.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
junior high was stupid. high school was stupid. college was stupid. graduate school was stupid.

By stupid I mean it all had the same rude and arrogant cliques that made academics far more difficult than it had to be.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:27 PM

324 posts, read 862,699 times
I went to an all girls school- so cattyness was the norm. But getting through high school was tolerable because I had focus. It's not meant to be "fun"- its a means to an end- getting a basic education . If you have fun while you're learning great. Don't pay attention to the crowd, its something you'll learn when you get older and hopefully wiser.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:50 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
I am many many years older than you. My mother always said that "these will be the best years of your life" (high school, that is). Well, they were just about the worst years of my life. I wasn't ready for college when I graduated, so I took some "fun" classes then started college. Best decision I ever made - college/university was the best ... worked hard and did quite well.

Do see a counselor. One thing that was hard, but I eventually learned this was to focus on my school work. Kids (age: 3 - 18) can be cruel and can be such a negative element. Remove yourself from the negative and be the best person you can be and stay focused on your goals. If you don't have defined goals right now then take things one step at a time. Get your education and focus on that. You really do have your whole life ahead of you. Good luck to you.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:01 PM

542 posts, read 1,684,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Talk to a counselor. Realize that this is temporary. That's all there is to it.
I second this. A lot of kids struggle with high school. My sister was a total wreck and its a wonder she made it through. But...she did. You will too. Its not even that likely you'd be friends with the same people 10 years from now.

All I can say it keep your eye on the future and find a way to get through this relatively short period of time. Find activities you enjoy to occupy your time and help you cope.

Making some online connections/friends may help as well. Hang in there!

Old 12-10-2008, 05:06 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
I don't even remember high school the only thing I remember is the final bell and I felt light as air almost floating like a huge burden has finally been lifted off of me.

Don't go to college for social reasons. If that is your reasoning behind going that is very sad.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:10 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Don't get a GED - I swear it's not that great at all...it just says "I couldn't hack something as easy as HS"

And don't get an AA degree - it says "I couldn't hack college enough to finish a BA"

I'm a hiring manager, I swear they don't look good on resumes.
wth are you talking about? Lots of people go the ged , then CC and finally BA route. How would you be able to tell unless you look all the way back in that case I don't think anyone should work for you. If someone earns their BA in a different way then usual what does it matter they still earned it.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:35 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Just hang in there - finish school and look toward the future. We all have to go through the pain of high school. If you don't finish it you will have so many regrets when you get older. You don't have that much longer to go - you can do it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships