Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:33 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,054 times

Advertisements

Just because I've never "hooked up," does that makes me old fashioned being 24?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 07:33 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
I'm 32, and this article definitely rings true for me. A lot of the people I know my age and younger are more into hooking up than dating. I also agree that it's great for guys but not so much for the ladies. Young guys and gals are more pals and drinking buddies than romantic partners. I know a guy (24 I think?) who is married, and he actually calls his wife "dude." Young couples look like just a couple of "dudes" having fun who sleep with each other at the end of the night. Again, a paradise for most young guys, but I don't think it's great for the ladies. I wonder what is going to become of the women I know in thier mid 20s who are into this hook up culture. They think they are desirable because lots of guys sleep with them, but what they don't realize is that behind their backs, the guys who are sleeping with them say they would NEVER marry them even though they (the guys) think they're cool and fun to be with. I have a six year old daughter, and I hope hooking up blows over before she goes to college.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:48 AM

943 posts, read 3,334,686 times
I don't think the article is bs at all, alot of men nowadays don't even know how to date/court someone and it's because we live in a microwave era where our expectations are so low. It's like f*ck now, ask for a relationship later.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:18 AM

17 posts, read 26,535 times
WestCobb, +1 to you. Pairing up is a rare thing at my school (a med school), while everyone else is playing musical asses.

I just got through with an off-on thing that started last spring. At first, we went on a couple of dates. Then the girl screened my calls to head out and only called late at night for me to come over and "watch a movie". Since I'm christian, I'd leave after the movie was over. Eventually it all came to a fold on my birthday, the girl gave me no gift, I didn't mess with her, and I told her why. She said she had to rethink things.

After the summer, we started heading back out, going to a bar for drinks and pool. I tried to kiss her goodnight, and she threw me out the door. I'm assuming she really liked me, but is too scared to fall in love.

So she was willing to sleep with me, but not get intimate. Truly these times have it all supercoiled.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:27 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
To me, hooking up is a frustrating encouter with my computer & printer.

I question the validity of this article. The fact it comes from the NY Times should be enough. I'm wondering if it's some small sampling in NYC.

I certainly don't see that trend on the west coast.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Default a Columnists spin...

The study on the Child Trends site, that the columnist is referring to, states the following:

The percentage of 12th grade students who report dating frequently has declined steadily since 2001, reaching a new low in 2006 of 24 percent.

Columnists, trying to generate hits, are experts at "spinning" studies like this. He basically came to his own conclusions, with the aid of a couple of other people that he consulted. READ this stuff people, before you take it as gospel.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:04 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Columnists, trying to generate hits, are experts at "spinning" studies like this. He basically came to his own conclusions, with the aid of a couple of other people that he consulted. READ this stuff people, before you take it as gospel.
The purpose of such "studies" and articles is not so much to report what IS happening as it is to invoke what the think tanks behind the corrupted media WANT TO HAPPEN. Propaganda works in every area.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:10 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Propaganda works in every area.
Very true. The media industry is often nothing more than a pollutant.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:16 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
I still think there is something to this. Young women seem way more into casual sex than they were even ten years ago. Again, cool for guys -- but I wonder at what costs to females?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The study on the Child Trends site, that the columnist is referring to, states the following:

The percentage of 12th grade students who report dating frequently has declined steadily since 2001, reaching a new low in 2006 of 24 percent.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:26 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Don't you think that guys will also be deprived of a quality relationship if all they wish to do is hang out at bars and then have sexual activity? The lady isn't the only one missing out. They are both selling themselves short.

Some sub cultures in our society have regressed to have and expect cave-people type relationships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I still think there is something to this. Young women seem way more into casual sex than they were even ten years ago. Again, cool for guys -- but I wonder at what costs to females?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships