Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:23 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,962,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Somehow, it makes it worse if that woman assumes I'm straight
Why would they assume you are straight ? Are you not the manly butch type ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 11:26 PM

1,813 posts, read 2,841,583 times
Too many women are looking for a man just for his money, like that's the best quality you could find in a person.
Too many women act like they're stupid because they think it makes them look more attractive.
Women put up with way too much crap and don't stick up for themselves.
Way too many women getting plastic surgery and making themselves look worse than they did before.
Get some self-esteem! Not that I have any, but YOU should.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:30 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,260,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
Too many women are looking for a man just for his money, like that's the best quality you could find in a person.
Too many women act like they're stupid because they think it makes them look more attractive.
Women put up with way too much crap and don't stick up for themselves.
Way too many women getting plastic surgery and making themselves look worse than they did before.
Get some self-esteem! Not that I have any, but YOU should.
you could be right, however
self esteem is pretty much fixed during formative years.
you can only change the appearance of self esteem.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:40 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
We see a lot of the opposite sex critiquing what they think they're doing right or wrong, what do you think your own gender does right or wrong in relationships?
Gossip, not all, but those that do. Although, in many instances I think men do so more then women.

Sometimes, it seems to me that relationships in the beginning are quite special and one should seek to protect them while .........creating a foundation of some sort. While both parties are initially trying to figure out if when the honeymoon phase is over if it has the stamina to survive. Sometimes, my gender goes out too quickly for input from other parties which screws stuff up because it creates an us vs. them attitude. Admittedly, sometimes this is a real good thing to do because you need that outside life and sometimes it may have all the signs of being a really bad situation.

I also think that some have a tendency to give up an awful lot, with such determination to make things work that they short change themselves.

I think some take the easy way out and make themselves known through their SO's accomplishments and then operate as if it was their own. Then they become very insecure. I think some take the easy way out by not leaving bad situations out of fear and sometimes laziness.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:18 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,130,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Why would they assume you are straight ? Are you not the manly butch type ?
No, I'm very feminine. People usually assume I'm straight until they find out otherwise.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:23 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,617,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
You know, up through my 20s, I used to think that it was a strong quality in me to "shut out" my friends who have betrayed me in some shape, way or form. Ever since I got married, I now see it as a character flaw. If I never forgave my husband for the sh*t he's done, we would've been divorced very early on!! Friendships work a lot like marriage, I think. You gotta roll with the good and the bad.
I disagree. I learned a long time ago that there's such a thing as too much forgiveness. People get away with whatever you let them. If they lie to you and you forgive them, they'll do it again. Cause they know they can. I've had friends betray me and I never forgave them for it. And I don't consider that a character flaw. I would rather have a few friends I can really trust than a bunch that I'm not sure of.

But getting back to the OT, one other thing I think my gender is guilty of is hypocrisy. We're very quick to judge a woman on her looks, expecting a woman to look perfect when we ourselves don't. I know a lot of men, including some on this forum, will say it's not hypocrisy, just having preferences. But if you're dismissing a woman because she doesn't have a perfectly flat stomach when you don't have one either, that makes you a hypocrite.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:17 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,047,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
You know, up through my 20s, I used to think that it was a strong quality in me to "shut out" my friends who have betrayed me in some shape, way or form. Ever since I got married, I now see it as a character flaw. If I never forgave my husband for the sh*t he's done, we would've been divorced very early on!! Friendships work a lot like marriage, I think. You gotta roll with the good and the bad.
I don't know about that. I don't have any need to roll with friends' betrayals... and can't quite see why it should be admirable to do so...

Old 12-16-2008, 09:45 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,590,461 times
Most men have difficulty understanding and expressing their own emotions.

Men think that they are better looking or otherwise more attractive than they really are.

Men are genrally poor listeners.

Most men seem to have a poor fashion sense.

Men tend to analyze everything - good in some situations, bad in others.

Men are often overconfident (they think that they are better drivers, fighters, thinkiers, etc than they really are).

Most men think that it is their job and within their ability to solve every problem.

Too many men prefer to be told what to do rather than figuring out what is right or necessary.

Men are entirely physically unattractive (to me anyway) I do not see how women can find us appealing.

Many men are too easily satisfied.

Most men have distorted concepts of what is manly (macho).

Mend tend to lack class (i.e. burping, farting, trimming toenails, etc in front of others and thinking that it is funny).

Men tend ot be babies. We are easily controlled by a woman who simply tells us that we are satisfactory. For most of us that is all we really want, for our woman to find us sufficient.

Men generally lack empathy and are often weak in the compassion department.

That is all I can think of. And yes, I am included in most of these attributes at least to some extent.

By critique do you mean to include positive traits?

Men are generally more focused.

Men are usually more clear about what they really mean.

Most men seem to hold moral values as an important attribute.

Men tend to be good (better) at quickly developing practical solutions to problems.

Most men can compartmentalize their emotions when necessary to get a job done and then release the emotion later.

Men are rarely catty.

As many people point out, men get over disputes immediately and rarely hold a grudge.

Men value practical skills and traits (i.e. we think that being able to change your oil is a better skill than being able to put lipstick on without using your hands).

Men can eat a lot without gaining weight.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,978,134 times
Interesting. I didn't realize most would be so honest and realistic about their own gender.

I've always had issues with my female acquaintances and friends--maybe that means the issue is really with me, I don't know--but as a result I've always said that if I were a gay woman, I'd probably be in prison. I'm kidding of course. Just my way of saying I couldn't live with another woman.

The good side of my gender? They're often very compassionate, nurturing, good listeners, big heart for animals...........more to come, hopefully.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:03 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,130,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Men think that they are better looking or otherwise more attractive than they really are.
You think most are that way? I feel like teenagers and guys in their early twenties can be that way easily, but I tend to think that adults are past that. I've met only one guy (who was in his late thirties) who seemed to think he was hot stuff. Though I guess I don't know what's going on in people's minds, really.

Quote:
Men are entirely physically unattractive (to me anyway) I do not see how women can find us appealing.
So you're not one of those guys who finds yourself attractive, then?

Did you happen to see Hugh Jackman in...anything at all? And you still wondered why women (and some men too, of course) find men attractive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships