Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,313,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
LOL Why do people always use that wet dishrag of an argument to try to put a damper on Christmas? It would probably irk you to know it doesn't phase us. Our faith isn't going to crumble just b'c Christmas is set on a date that coincides with paganism. And the date coinciding with pagan beliefs doesn't change the true meaning of Christmas. It doesn't change the meaning for those who celebrate it as it was intended. Nice try but when are you going to get it?
Oh, I get it. I--in no way shape or form--was under the impression that I could win a Christian over to my side of the argument. And your post is a great example of the reason why; it is delusional, convoluted and wholly irrational. It is the nature of faith to do that to our minds. Rather, I'm playing to the crowd. I'm simply using your posts as an example of the detrimental influence that religious thinking has upon our minds.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
This thread started off asking about how people celebrate Christmas. And then--true to form--the Christians came on with their ignorant bluster and mind numbing arrogance stating that everyone who doesn't acknowledge "Jesus as the reason for the season" is wrong and therefore worthy of contempt. I just simply challenged their position. And what I received as replies were post like yours.

You have nothing to offer, because you have no idea what you're talking about. And when presented with evidence that shows your position to be exceptionally uninformed, you engage in silly ad hominem attacks.

So I'll ask you again: What is your disagreement with that YouTube video I posted?
Actually...the thead is about the meaning of Christmas so you are again veering off topic.

Our OP wrote "the true meaning of Christmas - have ya'll ever thought of it?"

We have been talking about THAT. If YOU have anything to add to that, please do.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:13 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I don't go by the example of the sanctimonous brigade who tick the list of what the "perfect" family does at christmas because it's the thing to do and it looks good. Sure it goes a long way to help, but then they go back to their "Ozzie and Harriet" way of life until the next Christmas, when they roll out the kids and make their next trip down to the soup kitchen or Salvation army.

How many of you here have taken the time out to sit on a park bench with a homeless person, even a crack addicted prostitute and just talked. You know really talk. Talk enough to find out that the crack addicted prostitute had aspirations at one time, even went to college. Has an ex husband, some where with their kid she hasn't seen in years.

I'm not going to be serving up food or working in a shelter this year, but I've done it in the past. I am a fosterer for an animal shelter and have been one both in the USA and UK which means I constantly have the odd dog or two in my home until they are adopted. I adopted one of them since I've been back. Giving is a year round thing and I don't do it because Hallmark or some sanctimonius church tells me it's what I should do. I've done it since I was a little girl because I spent some of my formative years in third world countries where we were surrounded by abject poverty and was lucky to have the most generous loving mother who gave and gave and reminded us how luck were where.
Hang on. You asked a straightforward question, and I provided a straightforward answer. Then you mock me for it. So, essentially, you are thrusting people who actually take your question at face value into a no-win situation.

For your information, I do not go around and advertise what I do. In fact, when somebody asks what I'm doing on a particular evening when I'm working with the homeless, I simply say, "Oh, we have plans." In fact, when my wife mentioned my several years' work with the homeless at Thanksgiving, several of my own family were surprised. My own mother also had no idea that I was on the board of the local humane society.

Further, why would you assume that I or any other poster on here don't talk to the homeless? For the past seven years, I've been intimately involved in the needs of the homeless in the community. And by that, I don't mean some casual conversation on a park bench, for that's the very least one could do to provide another person with dignity with dignity and self worth. I mean helping people get their GEDs, find work, and have a place to live. You know, substantial stuff to help them climb out of their difficult situation in life. How arrogant of you to assume otherwise about me or any other poster on this board.

And, while you were a fosterer for an animal shelter, I served on the board of the local humane society for five years, and headed up a capital campaign that helped build a brand new shelter that gave us the additional capacity to drastically reduce euthanasia. In addition, I work with inner city schools as a mentor to five kids, providing career counseling, help with homework, and help finding employment. And this isn't something I do between Thanksgiving and Christmas either. It's part of my schedule, 12 months out of the cotton-picking year. My charitable work is one reason I chose to be semi-retired.

My wife serves with Habitat for Humanity monthly by wielding a hammer, not by organizing fundraisers. She also provides literacy counseling and serves as a mentor for local girls in poverty. Gosh, what a coincidence. She does that 12 months a year too. My children have participated in these programs as well, for "it's not all about you" is something we try to drill into our kids all the time.

If that's something off a "Hallmark Card" then so be it. But at least be honest. If you're going to mock people for living up to their convictions, then just say that was your original intent. How sad that you have to be so mean spirited that you can't take people at face value.

Last edited by cpg35223; 12-16-2008 at 08:25 PM..

Old 12-16-2008, 08:13 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
That's an ungracious response to CPG who is to be admired by me - someone who does NOT do these things and isn't very religious. I can take lessons from him. You're very generous and kind, CPG.
Well it was tongue in cheek but not so...if you get what I mean. I still maintain it sounds like something out of Hallmark.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:17 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Sounds like something out of a movie lot or Hallmark card.
I truly do not understand this response. Since you are the OP of the thread, would you care to explain why you would react this way to someone answering your question? Do you seriously mean to say that you are dismissing something that a person does that makes Christmas meaningful to them just because you do not do the same? I will never understand this attitude. Why does anyone care what someone else does? The world is so full of rights and wrongs of things that are harmless. If I want to paint my house pink, dress up like Cindy Lou Who and quote Dr. Suess because that is what Christmas means to me, why would you care? I don't get it.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:17 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:
Oh, I get it. I--in no way shape or form--was under the impression that I could win a Christian over to my side of the argument. And your post is a great example of the reason why; it is delusional, convoluted and wholly irrational. It is the nature of faith to do that to our minds. Rather, I'm playing to the crowd. I'm simply using your posts as an example of the detrimental influence that religious thinking has upon our minds.
And you don't have a clue about us. You see the word Christian or Christmas and go head first into attack mode. Reading certain books doesn't make you smarter or better than anyone else, as much as you'd like to believe that, gansta.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:22 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,196 times
Quote:
This is complete garbage. Who died and left you judge of what is and what isn't the "reason for the season?" Like most Christians you are arrogant and ignorant as to the origins of Dec. 25th. Here is something to educate you.
YouTube - Zeitgeist [Religion] The Greatest Story Ever Sold (1of 3)
Have you actually watched this in it's entirety or researched it at all? If not, you may wish to do so.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:23 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,715,739 times
Haha, when the term "Christmas" is mentioned, tensions surface!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:23 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
This thread started off asking about how people celebrate Christmas. And then--true to form--the Christians came on with their ignorant bluster and mind numbing arrogance stating that everyone who doesn't acknowledge "Jesus as the reason for the season" is wrong and therefore worthy of contempt. I just simply challenged their position. And what I received as replies were post like yours.

You have nothing to offer, because you have no idea what you're talking about. And when presented with evidence that shows your position to be exceptionally uninformed, you engage in silly ad hominem attacks.

So I'll ask you again: What is your disagreement with that YouTube video I posted?
What? The rehash of stuff cribbed from Campbell's Masks of God and Frazier's Golden Bough? Have you read those, too, Skippy? I'm doubting you have. Because judging from the ad hominem arguments (Calling my responses ad hominem, no less. A unique twist, I'll grant you that) I'm guessing that you haven't. I didn't watch all three, but I'm fairly sure that they hauled the Greek mystery cults, particularly Attis, out of the attic as well. Pretty good play on words, wouldn't you agree?

Okay, for you, my little prodigy, I don't buy into every single syllable of the Synoptic Gospels (Quick, define what they are without scurrying over to Wikipedia). That doesn't lessen my devotion to the philosophical ideals of Christianity or the notion of God's love for us, even arrogant philosophy students who are way out of their depth.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Haha, when the term "Christmas" is mentioned, tensions surface!
Not always, but it is sad when that does happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships