U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2008, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
3,427 posts, read 2,955,237 times
Reputation: 2107
With all of those differences, why go out with the other person, with the exception of race?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Status: "soft lips are open. them knuckles are pale" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
4,546 posts, read 3,570,740 times
Reputation: 4683
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
You're not serious here?? Or you have never been to Romania, Ukrania, or Russia. These women are princesses defined. They expect luxury, to be totally taken care of; to be fully funded in their visits to the beauty stylist, the manicurist, the upscale gym, the shopping sprees, the vacations.

Most of them can't boil an egg....they've often got fancy college degrees which they plan to use only to snag a husband with money and position who will take care of their every material need happily ever after.

You need to rethink your stereotypes. You're all wet here. Eastern European women are the neediest, most materialistic, self-absorbed women you'll ever meet.
the women I'm talking about are the ones that remember their poverty under communism. women that are treated like dirt by their perma drunk vodka slamming husbands. women that don't know there is a better life out there for them. women that can be happy just being with a guy that doesn't treat her like a wench. there are princesses in every culture. most eastern european/russian women don't fit what you describe. in order for such a cultural shift to occur in such a small amount of time, there would have to be great wealth spread throughout their society. Yes, things have improved since the fall of the USSR, but they certainly haven't caught up to American women in regards to having the world revolve around themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2008, 09:30 PM
 
Location: rain city
2,634 posts, read 6,746,868 times
Reputation: 3577
I speak with depth of experience and I'm here to tell you that you are _dead_wrong_.

The very circumstances you described makes impoverished eastern European women the needy divas they are. They have lots of experience with poverty and they want out--any which way they can get it. Their motivations are entirely selfish, their upbringing greedy from all the deprivation. Young women are coached from early youth to use their feminine wiles to grab anything they can get--before it's gone.

You are aware that eastern Europe is currently the beginning of the pipeline for a huge international sex trade? It's all part of the princess process, they actually believe there is glamor and elegance to prostitution because it buys them the glitz and glamor and goods they can get no other way. They are taught that youth and beauty and sex will buy them (through men) all the material things which have been otherwise so unavailable for so long.

You are deluded, but if it suits you, it's your fantasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2008, 11:16 PM
 
Location: #
9,608 posts, read 8,945,133 times
Reputation: 6142
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
By drastically different I mean:
1. We are of different races. Ones white, the others not.
2. We are of different educational background. One's ivy league grad with a Master's. The other only has a high school diploma.
3. We are of different profession. One's a high flying professional. The other's a warehouse worker.
4. We are of different economic status. One's dining out in fine restaurants. the other's broke and cannot even afford to buy groceries.
5. We have different circles of friends. One's socializing with bankers, lawyers, and doctors. The other hangs out with construction workers, janitors, and pizza delivery guys.

Is it probable for two persons of such different background to become a couple?
I'd say it's very improbable. I'd also guess you are rationalizing one hell of a hunky guy. I'm not saying it's impossible. But once the spark wears off, what are you going to talk about? Here's a sample future conversation:

"I am so sick of these psuedo-Keynesians implying I am heartless for laying off some people while they simultaneously raise my payroll taxes. How was your day?"

"I cut myself with the box cutter again."

"Well I'm going to pour myself a glass of Chardonnay and watch the French News on satellite."

"I'm going to drink some beers and watch UFC."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2008, 11:29 PM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,525 posts, read 7,509,534 times
Reputation: 8079
Sure, I would. The older I get the more I focus on the quality of the person. What's on their resume or on their bank statement does not matter. I am not looking someone that "has everything in place". The purpose of a relationship is to help eachother become better individuals.

I am not looking to take someone from start to finish but I am a very flexible person when it comes to selecting a partner/spouse.


Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 12:56 AM
 
Location: Lincoln Park
838 posts, read 1,940,844 times
Reputation: 163
Thats interesting because I met a few russian women, all of whom asked me out but expected me to foot the bills, dinners, shopping, outtings, you name it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
the women I'm talking about are the ones that remember their poverty under communism. women that are treated like dirt by their perma drunk vodka slamming husbands. women that don't know there is a better life out there for them. women that can be happy just being with a guy that doesn't treat her like a wench. there are princesses in every culture. most eastern european/russian women don't fit what you describe. in order for such a cultural shift to occur in such a small amount of time, there would have to be great wealth spread throughout their society. Yes, things have improved since the fall of the USSR, but they certainly haven't caught up to American women in regards to having the world revolve around themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 06:28 AM
 
Location: #
9,608 posts, read 8,945,133 times
Reputation: 6142
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
Thats interesting because I met a few russian women, all of whom asked me out but expected me to foot the bills, dinners, shopping, outtings, you name it.
Well you do live in Lincoln Park. Maybe you should start telling them you come from Lawndale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 08:04 AM
 
Location: US
1,185 posts, read 2,558,317 times
Reputation: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
You're not serious here?? Or you have never been to Romania, Ukrania, or Russia. These women are princesses defined. They expect luxury, to be totally taken care of; to be fully funded in their visits to the beauty stylist, the manicurist, the upscale gym, the shopping sprees, the vacations.

Most of them can't boil an egg....they've often got fancy college degrees which they plan to use only to snag a husband with money and position who will take care of their every material need happily ever after.

You need to rethink your stereotypes. You're all wet here. Eastern European women are the neediest, most materialistic, self-absorbed women you'll ever meet.

Take notes people. This person speaks the truth. I thought I could find a little Eastern European/Russian princess once....I found two of them actually, and they were both helpless, whiny, golddiggers. Smoking hot though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 09:46 AM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
12,680 posts, read 20,806,545 times
Reputation: 9765
My answers in boldface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
By drastically different I mean:
1. We are of different races. Ones white, the others not.
Their skin colour is not a problem as long as I find them physically attractive.
2. We are of different educational background. One's ivy league grad with a Master's. The other only has a high school diploma.
I'm an ivy leaguer that needs to be with a fellow intellectual. One doesn't have to have a college degree to be an intellectual. However, most people who don't have a desire to go to college are generally not intellectually inclined. However, perhaps they couldn't afford to go to college, so they'd better be a fan of PBS, Science and Discovery tv channels and go to the library on a regular basis.
3. We are of different profession. One's a high flying professional. The other's a warehouse worker.
It's only a problem if we have different life goals. I need to own a house, and if he's only comfortable being a renter forever, then that's a big issue. And who wants to be a warehouse worker until they retire? I'm assuming that you're suggesting that he never makes it to a management position. If a man has no career drive or desire to have a better paying job than when he was in his 20's, there's something wrong with him imo. I'm not downing warehouse work, but it's very physical work and hard on the body. It's really only a job for the young people in good shape. After the age of 35, you'd think that he'd want more of a supervisory or desk job.
4. We are of different economic status. One's dining out in fine restaurants. the other's broke and cannot even afford to buy groceries.
If the guy is always broke, then that's a huge red flag to me. While I do enjoy a good restaurant, I don't need to eat out every night or once a week. If he was perpetually broke, then that would indicate that he's lousy with money or living beyond his means. And why would I want to invest my relationship time with a guy like that?
5. We have different circles of friends. One's socializing with bankers, lawyers, and doctors. The other hangs out with construction workers, janitors, and pizza delivery guys.
Not a problem as long as we can spend quality time together doing other activities. And more than just having good sex and holding hands. However, he should be able to dress up once in a while to join me with my friends, and to do it with a good attitude too (not sulking all night like a child). For example, he should be able to be a presentable escort at my company's Christmas party. I would want my close friends to like and approve of him.

Is it probable for two persons of such different background to become a couple?
A big maybe. It depends on each individual couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Southern California
2,890 posts, read 4,195,528 times
Reputation: 3680
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I speak with depth of experience and I'm here to tell you that you are _dead_wrong_.

The very circumstances you described makes impoverished eastern European women the needy divas they are. They have lots of experience with poverty and they want out--any which way they can get it. Their motivations are entirely selfish, their upbringing greedy from all the deprivation. Young women are coached from early youth to use their feminine wiles to grab anything they can get--before it's gone.

You are aware that eastern Europe is currently the beginning of the pipeline for a huge international sex trade? It's all part of the princess process, they actually believe there is glamor and elegance to prostitution because it buys them the glitz and glamor and goods they can get no other way. They are taught that youth and beauty and sex will buy them (through men) all the material things which have been otherwise so unavailable for so long.

You are deluded, but if it suits you, it's your fantasy.
That fantasy also runs rampant in the mail order bride thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top