Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:43 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
There is no one who has made it big who took the safe path. But it's not for everyone. The world needs everyone to go around. Dreamers and the Creative give us beauty. The Practical give us stability.
Very wise post.

I forget about the ying and yang of life.

I don't feel so bad for not being a risk taker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was listening to the radio today on the way home from work and someone called in and was asking why her family keeps pressuring her to have a "backup" plan. She is currently working as a waitress and is trying to be a writer.

So that got me to thinking about my life and how I've lived. I've always done the "safe" thing. That is go to school get the good decent stable, if not humdrum job. I've haven't taken any risks in my life. I gone down the strait and narrow, so to speak.

I've been thinking alot about what is important to me and thinking about saying f it to conventional way of living.

I was wondering what people thought about pursing your passions, possibly to the extent where you might not have the best retirement outcome.

For example the struggling writer or actor that wakes up in his late forties or even fifties and it hasn't happened for him and he's still "struggling".

At what point do you give up your dream/passion or do you give it your all until the big man calls you back.

When is enough enough???????
I can relate to all that.

I've always been unconventional anyways but a few years ago I got off the railroad tracks of life following Rush Limbaugh's belief that you find happiness by pursuing what you love and finding a way for someone to pay you to do your hobby. So a few years ago I went out there and pounded on doors and worked hard to get into a "closed" industry.

I now have what people call a "dream job". It's a job few people have or ever will have. I would say it is harder for me to be at home than away at work. I would say going to work is like going away on vacation. It's been a lot of fun and I don't have to sit there at 40, 50, 60 having regrets.

Ever single day I am working there is at least one person that asks me how I got into this line of work. I tell them I knew I wanted it 10 years ago and it took me the first seven years to figure out how to get started and get in the door. I don't give them any freebie answers.

In terms of money, at first I took a hit compared to what I had been earning. But in 2 years I have doubled my daily rate of pay and likely if things continue I will likely double or triple it again. Now I probably make the same I did as before but I work 1/4 of the hours and have a much better quality of life. As Rush always said pursue excellence and that has helped me move up the ladder quickly. I'm seen as a professional, hard worker, on the rise in the business. Also I am an independent contractor and will take W-2 work part time if that's the way they want it, but I will always essentially be on my own and I like that better. I like working WITH people, not FOR them.

Yup the economy has had an impact so next year I will be doing the same type of work in a totally different business some of the time when I'm not busy with my usual work.

I'll continue to take "risks" in terms of spending my own money in some cases to grow my resume and gain more skills.

Ultimately I'll be able to live with myself following my dream, even if I don't reach the top pinnacle the ride and journey will be worth it.

You know I would rather have a small house in the country living my dream, than living a lie, strapped to a McMansion mortgage, 2 fancy car leases, a free spending wife and probably having a job I can't stand. I used to work for billionaires and millionaires and celebs and the self happiness doesn't come from things you acquire. They can add to your life, but never make yourself happy inside. All the great things in life come from experiences.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Very wise post.

I forget about the ying and yang of life.

I don't feel so bad for not being a risk taker.
It takes all types. There are doers and thinkers and dreamers, etc.

I probably have to dream a little bit but then I go and do. Some people never follow through on the do part.

If everyone was the same it would be boring. Someone has to manage Wal Mart or work at Taco Bell. And perhaps for them that is living a dream working in restaurant or retail, dunno. And some are simple and are willing to settle and have a decent job and be able to watch Survivor on CBS sitting in the lazyboy and take a vacation once a year. And that's all they aspire to. And there is nothing wrong with any of that.

As I said it takes all types to make the world go round.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:59 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times
Conventional living isn't for everyone. I am 30 yrs old, no wife/GF/kids....my plan is to travel the country/world and just go wherever the road takes me. I knew at a young age though that I was not a conventional person. Some things are not meant to be. I think both environment and personality traits made me this way....never give up on a dream...ever..

Old 12-19-2008, 07:15 AM

607 posts, read 1,334,238 times
I try to have a balance of practical and dreamy in my life. I can put my nose to the grindstone for a long time, as long as I have an 'escape plan'. For example, after I got my degree (practical), I worked for awhile to save up, then took off to volunteer in refugee camps, and travel around. Now I'm back, ready to work for awhile...but my next escape may be right around the corner! This way suits me well.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:23 AM

462 posts, read 968,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
There is no one who has made it big who took the safe path. But it's not for everyone. The world needs everyone to go around. Dreamers and the Creative give us beauty. The Practical give us stability.
True! My responsible side does the safe thing 2 make sure I can get both my kids through college. BUT I would love to throw caution to the wind, jump in my car & just go - wherever the path leads! I'd love to be an actress, writer or photgrapher... but have never had the opportunity as a single mother to do anyting 'unsafe or irresponsible (as some would call it). But I still have dreams of one day....

Old 12-25-2008, 03:05 PM

43 posts, read 82,311 times
My brother once posed the question, "What would you do in life if money and time were not an obsticle"? This will put your ambitions in place. I not sure what to tell you other than do what you are most happy doing? There needs to be a line. Do you have the talent, skills, and knowledge?

Old 12-25-2008, 07:46 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Fulfill your responsibilities first, then your dreams.

Sometimes you find a way to do both at the same time.

And sometimes you can afford to follow your dreams for awhile and see how they go.

Several years ago, after working for the almighty dollar most of my life and ending up with little to show for it, my wife and I decided to each take off a year to follow our dreams. I became a "nature photographer" and she worked on a book. At the end of the year we both adjusted our dreams, as neither of us had made the big break, and the bills were piling up. She died a few months later, no warning.

While it wasn't a profitable endeavor for us, I'm glad we both tried it for a year. It was a great and memorable time for us, and I thank God that she lived to try it.

The year gave us both a chance to organize our thoughts and make some decisions, if nothing else. She continued working on her book, and it might have been a success had she lived to finish it; I took my photography in a different direction and shoot portraits, weddings and commercial/industrial jobs.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
you dont you jump in there and live and do a career work like a crazy man and then retire early and then you do the art thing for all you are worth just as hard.
but you call it a hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships