Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:51 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,550 times

Advertisements

Yeah...here's my advice.

1. Call the Domestic Violence Hotline. Get advice.
2. Give him an ultimatum. Either he goes to domestic violence/anger management, or you are divorcing him.
3. Actually leave him if he refuses.
4. Get proof of his physical / verbal abuse somehow. Something tells me you're gonna need it.
5. Get some therapy for yourself, seriously. This sounds like a deeper pattern to me (like co-dependency, fear of abandonment...).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 07:04 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,494,372 times
I was pretty much in the same boat as you-married for 12 years to a verbally-abusive alcoholic with 2 kids-one a girl with autism. For years I endured his bull****, until he started turning on the kids and my 10-year old son begged me to leave him. I decided I couldn't subject my kids to his crap anymore and I threw his a** out. Yeah it may be tough financially, but I would rather swallow my pride and live on Welfare than live with an abusive man.
As for being "too old" and not being able to find a man who will accept your autistic child, I am 40 years old and got remarried in March to a great guy who loves me and fully accepts my daughter. She's only 5 years old now and he realizes the road may get rocky as she grows up, but obviously he's willing to be there for her if he married me.
Don't ever give up on finding someone who will love you and your kids and treat you right. I say get out now before your husband turns his wrath on your defenseless kids.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:00 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Putting parameters on advice is silly? How?
Why ask for advice if you want to filter peoples answer??

Old 12-22-2008, 08:02 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Because people's answers are sometimes really stupid and naive.

http://skateandannoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/duh-duh.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Why ask for advice if you want to filter peoples answer??

Old 12-22-2008, 08:05 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Because people's answers are sometimes really stupid and naive.

http://skateandannoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/duh-duh.jpg (broken link)
I didn't say they weren't...my point was the filtration process...she does not have to take the advice but to immediately shut it down with excuses seems to be counter productive since it seems she already has her mind made up...why waste the time?

Old 12-22-2008, 08:07 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Thanks for seeing my point of view. I knew I could count on you

http://www.cre8buzz.com/blog/wp-cont...008/01/duh.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I didn't say they weren't...my point was the filtration process...she does not have to take the advice but to immediately shut it down with excuses seems to be counter productive since it seems she already has her mind made up...why waste the time?

Old 12-22-2008, 08:50 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I think you know you've gotta get you and your kids out of that kind of environment. Do it, please. My late wife was married to someone very much like him. It's very possible that he landed the fatal blow that killed her years later. She was a brilliant woman, had it all, but she took all the abuse he could hand out and didn't leave him until he started on the kids.

But your main question seemed to be about the likelihood of finding another partner after the divorce. If you're as you seem to be and as you described yourself, I don't think you'd have any problems. You might not have quite the choice you'd have without a special needs child, but yes, you could find a good man.

At my age (63) I wouldn't be interested in raising small children, (Hmmmm.... Wanna meet my son?) but when I was 40-45, sure; they wouldn't be deal-breakers.

But I agree with the majority here. 1. Get rid of the abuser. 2. Get yourself right with being a single mom. 3. Take your time finding the right guy. Don't settle for one until you're as sure as can be.

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
The other thing, if the husband sees that his abusive ways are leading to divorce, it might be the one thing that makes him look at how things are and change. But it has to be a real possibility, not just a threat.

Separation sometimes works. Jolts the other in reality.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:06 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,088 times
Pam721
Your post made me cry, you do not need his crud your children do not need his crud.Your son needs a stable and calm environment, you and your daughter need this too.I am so sorry that you are going through this and I will keep you in my prayers.
Blessings Michelle

Old 12-23-2008, 06:39 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
Pam721
Your post made me cry, you do not need his crud your children do not need his crud.Your son needs a stable and calm environment, you and your daughter need this too.I am so sorry that you are going through this and I will keep you in my prayers.
Blessings Michelle
You bring up a good point MichelleLeigh. Pam, I'm sure you know this but I'll go ahead and post it, when your kids see your husband's abusive behavior, they might grow up thinking that it is acceptable to behave like that.

Just something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships