Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:38 AM

473 posts, read 760,786 times

Advertisements

Yet another "Who should pay" thread...

Let's say a woman is on a first or second date with a guy, and she knows she doesn't want to see him again. Is she obligated to offer or insist on paying (her share at least)?

Like I said in another thread, I have a guy friend who takes the gesture of a woman offering to pay (within first three dates) as disinterest and he doesn't ask her out again. He goes so far to say that it's a woman's obligation to pay (or offer to pay) if she knows she's not interested in another date. Otherwise, she's taking advantage of the guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 12:10 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KardoulaMou View Post

Let's say a woman is on a first or second date with a guy, and she knows she doesn't want to see him again. Is she obligated to offer or insist on paying (her share at least)?

Like I said in another thread, I have a guy friend who takes the gesture of a woman offering to pay (within first three dates) as disinterest and he doesn't ask her out again. He goes so far to say that it's a woman's obligation to pay (or offer to pay) if she knows she's not interested in another date. Otherwise, she's taking advantage of the guy.
I am not going to pay at all!!!!

Old 12-26-2008, 12:34 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
It depends. If the guy was the one pushing for the first dates, liking me more than I liked him or if he was the one insisting on this particular restaurant, then I would let him pay for the whole dinner. But if he wasn't being pushy about the dates, and I thought that he was going to take my saying no to a romantic relationship gracefully AND I thought that we would be able to become good platonic friends afterwards, then I would probably pay for my share of the date or even all of it if I chose the restaurant.

A guy that is too aggressive with asking women out thinking that his charm would be able to make them crush on him, deserves to pay 100% for that second date imo. You know, the situation where the woman is trying to say no, but he begs her to give him a chance...

Old 12-26-2008, 12:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
very interesting. no comment on the op as i am not a girl, but i see so much irritation from women that guys are not aggressive enough, but when he is- he gets punished with a fine?
must pay all bills?

Old 12-26-2008, 12:39 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
If the other person wants to pay for me and there won't be another date...I'll let them go right on ahead.

Most of the time I offer to pay for myself.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:42 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
I don't see why not. Women want equal rights, so there you have it.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:43 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:

A huge number of women will keep dating a guy they have very limited interest in until something better pops up. Of course guys do this as well, however, when guys do this it is not at the financial expense of a woman so there is a bit of a difference there.

I think it is the guys responsibility to gauge the interest level of a woman on the very first date. Dating can be very expensive, so unless the first date is extremely promising you should not continue.

In my view it is very unethical to keep dating someone you have no interest in and then feign some ridiculous excuse to weasel out because you are playing with someone else's emotions...it's not just about yourself! Unfortunately, many people are just too selfish and think only about themselves and are ready to screw over others... well, what goes around comes around

Old 12-26-2008, 12:54 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:

I'm of the person who did the inviting should pay unless it's cleared up front opinion but too many jerks attach meaning to paying for dinner so I'd pay lest he think he's entitled to compensation . I recall dating more than one jerk who thought I was a hooker and could be bought for the price of dinner. Of course that was many years and many pounds ago. I think they'd just tell me to pay for my own dinner today

Old 12-26-2008, 12:54 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
very interesting. no comment on the op as i am not a girl, but i see so much irritation from women that guys are not aggressive enough, but when he is- he gets punished with a fine?
must pay all bills?
Have I ever complained about a man not being aggressive enough? lol So maybe women should stick to never accepting a date from a man unless she has at least a slight crush on him. Otherwise, I'd like to point out that in general, men still make more than women doing the same job, and women spend a lot more on looking good for their dates than the men do, and you know that men want to be with the hottest looking woman they can get for trophy value.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Have I ever complained about a man not being aggressive enough? lol So maybe women should stick to never accepting a date from a man unless she has at least a slight crush on him. Otherwise, I'd like to point out that in general, men still make more than women doing the same job, and women spend a lot more on looking good for their dates than the men do, and you know that men want to be with the hottest looking woman they can get for trophy value.
that is not true --women did not do the same job as me. i sat around and drank coffee the whole time. ok ill pay the tab, no maxins, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships