Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:15 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew83 View Post
thanks, any advice is appreciated. I am a bit of a social phobic and i dont really like beeing around people much- so sometimes i get stuck when i talk to people.
I wouldn't call those casual questions. You might want to keep things light. For example if I were curious about a man, I'd say, "So what do you have, girlfriend, wife, sheep....?" It's an icebreaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Change the subject to school and work. Obviously, they are what is high on her priority list at this time. Just ask "How's school going?" and move on with the conversation.
You didn't say if this was a date conversation or a general conversation, so I'll agree with Ivoryticklet and pitt-transplant. She steered the conversation where she wanted it to go.

Though if it was a date, the answer would be a red-flag for me.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:46 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Ok guys, i have been talking to someone and i asked her this:

Me: so, if you dont mind me asking- how is your love life going? when was your last relationship?

Her reply: A few months ago. I don't have time for a love life with school and work.

thats a very vague, non-descript answer from her dont you think? we could have gone into a whole topic about love and relationships.
i always seem to shut down when someone says how busy they are when they talk about work or school- i never know what to say next, sometimes it makes me feel disinterested. What is the best way to answer or how should i reply? I just want to know for future reference.
I think you need to offer a bit more information. Is this someone you know personally? A friend? Or is this someone you are communicating with online? On a dating site?

It's difficult to tell what the context of her reply is, without knowing what the venue was.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:00 PM

291 posts, read 611,034 times
she is just a friend that i met at a bar.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:03 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Ok guys, i have been talking to someone and i asked her this:

Me: so, if you dont mind me asking- how is your love life going? when was your last relationship?

Her reply: A few months ago. I don't have time for a love life with school and work.

thats a very vague, non-descript answer from her dont you think? we could have gone into a whole topic about love and relationships.
i always seem to shut down when someone says how busy they are when they talk about work or school- i never know what to say next, sometimes it makes me feel disinterested. What is the best way to answer or how should i reply? I just want to know for future reference.
Hmmm ... somehow I get the feeling that what you were asking was none of your business and she didn't feel the need to share that info with you.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
she is just a friend that i met at a bar.
In that case, I'd say that was a bit off-kilter to ask her such a question. If this was an online conversation, with someone you were interested in, then it would be a logical inquiry. Obviously she is not comfortable discussing the topic with you, at least at this point, so don't dwell on it, and keep the conversations focused on less "relationship-minded" topics. You could have responded with "So, when you DO have free time, what's your favorite way to spend it?"

Old 12-28-2008, 12:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Hey wait a minute ...

Is this a trick question? Because the topic is how do i answer this? But he's the one ASKING the question, right?

Old 12-28-2008, 01:28 PM

291 posts, read 611,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
In that case, I'd say that was a bit off-kilter to ask her such a question. If this was an online conversation, with someone you were interested in, then it would be a logical inquiry. Obviously she is not comfortable discussing the topic with you, at least at this point, so don't dwell on it, and keep the conversations focused on less "relationship-minded" topics. You could have responded with "So, when you DO have free time, what's your favorite way to spend it?"
i already asked her that and she was like oh i like ''clubbing, going to bars''...i was thinking hmmm this is awkward, maybe i should go.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
i already asked her that and she was like oh i like ''clubbing, going to bars''...i was thinking hmmm this is awkward, maybe i should go.
Well, you did say she was just someone you met in a bar. If that's as much as she wants to share with you, then yes...I'd probably move on. And if that is REALLY all she likes to do, then you might not find much depth there anyway.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:37 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:

I always seem to shut down when someone asks me about my love life--which, honestly, doesn't happen often. LOL It doesn't matter if my love life is going great or nonexistent, I just don't like sharing it with anyone but a chosen few and they know who they are b'c I go to them with it, they don't come to me.

ETA: What can you say to that? Just start talking about something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships