Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,011,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Yeah if he greets you at the door with dinner on the table and wearing a little somethin', somethin'... I'd be all for being a "sugar momma" - with a househusband. Take care of my needs, do the dishes, cook me my dinna', wash my clothes, take care of the kids... yeah, where do I sign up?
I could consider this option, too... Unfortunately I don't make enough to comfortably support two. If he were modest, though... and didn't have a car and didn't want all kinds of gadgets... maybe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 06:23 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,445,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
He does the dishes too? Where DID you find him?

Yeah if he greets you at the door with dinner on the table and wearing a little somethin', somethin'... I'd be all for being a "sugar momma." Take care of my needs, do the dishes, cook me my dinna', wash my clothes... yeah, where do I sign up?
I grew him myself . It took years to beat him into submission.

Actually, he just likes to cook. I can cook as long as there are instructions on the back of the box . I guess he just got tired of Betty Crocker

He started doing the shopping because he did the menu planning and cleaning the kitchen just kind of goes along with cooking. Though he has been known to pull the "I cooked, you clean" routine now and again.

I'm spoiled.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:24 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,381,937 times
There is something that should be accepted about a parent staying at home dictating what their children learn about.....for a few years now TRL has been the parent. No one really wonders why our society is such a huge consumer based organization. I find it went right along with the glorification of the wealth of the top 1% with shows like lifestyles of the rich and famous. I remember seeing that as a kid and hearing friends talk about and then as life went on those people I grew up around and people I started to notice in the community and around the nation is how fast we moved to the person with the most toys at the end wins syndrome. Then looking back after WWII the perfect brew was set into motion for us to become massive consumers. The sad part is it's all fed by the moral imperatives like lust, envy, jealousy, greed, gluttony. So anyways....if anyone can help this downward spiral it would be mom or dad or both....the most overlooked heros. The more of those heros that take a larger role in their families upbringing the better IMO.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
There is something that should be accepted about a parent staying at home dictating what their children learn about.....for a few years now TRL has been the parent. No one really wonders why our society is such a huge consumer based organization. I find it went right along with the glorification of the wealth of the top 1% with shows like lifestyles of the rich and famous. I remember seeing that as a kid and hearing friends talk about and then as life went on those people I grew up around and people I started to notice in the community and around the nation is how fast we moved to the person with the most toys at the end wins syndrome. Then looking back after WWII the perfect brew was set into motion for us to become massive consumers. The sad part is it's all fed by the moral imperatives like lust, envy, jealousy, greed, gluttony. So anyways....if anyone can help this downward spiral it would be mom or dad or both....the most overlooked heros. The more of those heros that take a larger role in their families upbringing the better.
What is "TRL"?

Downsizing may work in theory but in actuality it won't. Downsizing means companies will start laying off people because they can't sell goods which will cause more downsizing because people won't be able to afford goods which causes more lay offs...Pretty soon, we're all shopping at Walmart because we can't afford anything else and we're all making Walmart wages too.

However, I teach my kids that things aren't the most important thing by not buying them everything they want and teaching them to take care of what they have. I'm thinking we're going to do some "green" downsizing this year and more volunteering as a family.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:27 PM

Total Request Live....MTV. More of a symbol of what I was trying to convey then the actual show....

Basically what I was trying to get at with the rhetoric above is maybe we can move away from consumerism and more towards were word and deeds are more important.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Total Request Live....MTV. More of a symbol of what I was trying to convey then the actual show....
Thanks. I'm so out of the loop

Parents need to be parents, that's for sure.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:37 PM

I'm curious as to how men feel about being asked to be the sole breadwinner of the family. I know I'd find that a scary thing to do. I'd feel a lot of pressure to keep my boss happy so I could keep my job. I'd also feel funny about my spouse having so much more time with the kids than me. I'd feel like I was the part time parent. Not that kids need either parent 24 x 7 but just by comparison. When one parent is there all the time and the other gone 50+ hours a week I thnk the kids would notice the difference.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:39 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,505,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't like it when people shop at stereotypes are us and since I've lived this one for over a decade, I can speak to why the stereotype is wrong. Things can go very smoothly if both parents work together and having a 52 inch plazma TV is not a sin

I hate the talk that parents put things before their kids if they both work. That's nonsense. The reasons I work have little to do with buying things and that's true of most dual working couples. Most of us are working to provide a better life for our families. If we're lucky, there's enough left over for that plazma TV
Yes, you are touchy.

Nonetheless, it's a matter of fact that the majority of people do place more emphasis on "me" than "us" in the family.

Try this- look at the rates of both spouses working, the divorce rate, the teen suicide rate, the divorce rate and see what you find. I won't even spoil it for you what you will find.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Yes, you are touchy.

Nonetheless, it's a matter of fact that the majority of people do place more emphasis on "me" than "us" in the family.

Try this- look at the rates of both spouses working, the divorce rate, the teen suicide rate, the divorce rate and see what you find. I won't even spoil it for you what you will find.
Correlation does not equal causation. There are many reasons for the increased divorce rate. Years ago, if your husband beat you, you bit your lip because that was private family business. Now you leave and take the kids with you. I'd call that an improvement.

I'll leave it to you to produce the links that say having a working mom increases suicide rates. You're the one claiming it so it's up to you to prove it not me to do your legwork for you. And stick to peer reviewed research please. None of the right wing keep women down rhetoric.

Honestly, so many things have changed in the last 50 years, it's impossible to pick one and say it caused everything bad. Teen pregnancy rates have been up since then too as we've become more accepting of teen parents. I have to wonder how kids having kids has affected things. That's just to name one possible contributor. There are many more besides dual working couples. They range from increased educational requirements just to get by in this world when our kids aren't any smarter to increases in availabilty of drugs to the fact we've become child centered (children are the center of the family and often catered to these days rather than members born into a family as in bygone years. An example is we do things like decide whether or not mom should work based on what we think the kids want.). Lots of things have changed.

BTW, my mom worked and my parents were divorced. They're 6 for 6 with the kids they raised. We're all responsible adults and none of us are divorced. Though I did come close but he straightened up his act.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 01-01-2009 at 06:57 PM..

Old 01-01-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm curious as to how men feel about being asked to be the sole breadwinner of the family. I know I'd find that a scary thing to do. I'd feel a lot of pressure to keep my boss happy so I could keep my job. I'd also feel funny about my spouse having so much more time with the kids than me. I'd feel like I was the part time parent. Not that kids need either parent 24 x 7 but just by comparison. When one parent is there all the time and the other gone 50+ hours a week I thnk the kids would notice the difference.

In general the men I know:
Well don't tell anyone but it actually makes most men feel good...well at least till they get a pink slip. Something about instincts or some other gibberish. Obviously if the family requires 2 incomes then obviously you do what ya gotta do.

On the flip side:
Yeah there are a few that quit their job to fulfill their dream of being a college football coach....even if they have never coached anything and never watches football and has a working wife and 3 kids and won't accept anything less for 12 months now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships