Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:08 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,339,802 times

Advertisements

I'm with CPG and Tanker on this one. They are YOUR family, not his and if you can't stick up for yourself around them, then don't hang around with them. It is not your husbands place to defend you to your own family. Now if it was his family picking on you and he said nothing, that would be different.

I am learning slowly but surely, to tell people when they do or say things to hurt me. If some friendships or family relations suffer then so be it. I am not here to be a doormat to rude cruel tactless people.

You need a dose of self confidence and you will have to find that for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 04:10 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_plain_woman View Post
On the ride home after Christmas my husband was so angry. He just could not believe how rude my sisters and parents were to me every time I tried to bring up a topic of conversation. He told me that he wanted to speak up and defend me but was afraid that would be out of bounds and would only make matters worse.

I am very ill at ease with all of them and my self confidence is not what it should be so I am not going to speak up when they are mean to me. My husband on the other hand is very outspoken and self confident and can speak for himself.

What would you think if your husband or wife spoke up when you were being treated poorly at a family event?
Your husband should speak up for you if his family is being mean to you. YOU should speak up if your family is being mean to him or to you. It's not the job of the spouse to correct their inlaws.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:13 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
That screen name just makes me so sad.
The Amish are plain.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:21 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
It is your family. I think you need to stand up for yourself and wonderful that he will be behind you on it.

Were it HIS family, then he would stand up for you.

Not comfortable standing up for yourself but he commands respect? Role play. Let him teach you. Let him give you the boost you need. I actually know how you feel.

My sister is this way with me and I really don't do anything about it. I would just rather leave it be and not start trouble. My SO on the other hand gets fuming mad when I am treated that way.

I have learned how to stick up for myself and let me tell you, it came as a huge shock to them when it happened and they sure did back off since then.

Do something for yourself to make YOU feel better. Things will get better and one day you will command that same respect.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:38 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I agree with most of the other posters. It's YOUR family, and having your husband stand up to them for you does you no good. You must do that for yourself.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_plain_woman View Post
On the ride home after Christmas my husband was so angry. He just could not believe how rude my sisters and parents were to me every time I tried to bring up a topic of conversation. He told me that he wanted to speak up and defend me but was afraid that would be out of bounds and would only make matters worse.

I am very ill at ease with all of them and my self confidence is not what it should be so I am not going to speak up when they are mean to me. My husband on the other hand is very outspoken and self confident and can speak for himself.

What would you think if your husband or wife spoke up when you were being treated poorly at a family event?
Why turn Christmas into a big argument, I think that's what it would end up being if your husband speaks up, why not just find better things to do with your time?

It sure doesn't sound like you're having much fun or having a good time when you visit your family, so I'd write them off and let them entertain each other as they please but for yourself and husband, there are happier ways to spend your holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships