Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Be off with yee to thy barn where thou shall reside for eternity.
Art thou jealous of thy awesomeness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:02 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
I believe it to be a personal choice.

Yes it could be a genetic thing but just because it is a genetic trait doesn't mean you necessarily have to accept it. You could live in denial. I could say that I have six fingers but in reality, I only have five because I have not yet accepted the fact. The same applies for the genetic argument of homosexuality. I could be born genetically gay but I could live in denial and say that I am straight and live a straight life. Notice that for most homosexuals during a period of their life they lived, "in the closet." There could even be a pre-in the closet type mentality. Someone who is gay but still having droughts about actually going with the same sex etc.

And yes it has happened where people have lived a straight life - got married, had kids etc and then realized that they were actually more happy being homosexual.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:15 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Yes it could be a genetic thing but just because it is a genetic trait doesn't mean you necessarily have to accept it. You could live in denial. ...And yes it has happened where people have lived a straight life - got married, had kids etc and then realized that they were actually more happy being homosexual.
*OF COURSE* one could live in denial...many have for generations, many still do. But such living is a recipe for a life of immense unhappiness, deep frustration, and serious numerous psycho-social problems.

The human sexual urge is a deeply embedded, profound biological need, ranking with hunger, thirst, and the necessity to breathe. Very few people are able to effectively repress it in a healthy way.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
How do you know that information? Are you a closet case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
*OF COURSE* one could live in denial...many have for generations, many still do. But such living is a recipe for a life of immense unhappiness, deep frustration, and serious numerous psycho-social problems.

The human sexual urge is a deeply embedded, profound biological need, ranking with hunger, thirst, and the necessity to breathe. Very few people are able to effectively repress it in a healthy way.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:52 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How do you know that information? Are you a closet case?
No, I'm straight (though very supportive of gay rights, obviously).

I am simply a smart, educated, and informed person. I know quite a bit about human sexuality. And the more you know the more you realize that bias against gays and lesbians is simple bigotry and prejudice. The way to dispel such bias is to confront ignorance and lies with truth.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:55 PM

Oh ya what evidence do you have to back up your claims?

Quote:
No, I'm straight (though very supportive of gay rights, obviously).

I am simply a smart, educated, and informed person. I know quite a bit about human sexuality. And the more you know the more you realize that bias against gays and lesbians is simple bigotry and prejudice. The way to dispel such bias is to confront ignorance and lies with truth.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:55 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
Quote:

Indeed, and why should they repress their natural desires when they are hurting no one. Oh, because they are offending some religious zealot who has decided that god somehow made a mistake (like a billion times over)? Oh sorry, tough sh*t dude mind your business and live your own life and let gay people live theirs. And not only is it tragic for the gay person, what of their spouse that is stuck in a loveless relationship.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:11 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
No--it is not healthy to repress your desires--not healthy for you, and not healthy for the family that you will ultimately abandon when you realize that you can no longer keep up the facade. Personally I would rather have everything out in the open so we all know what we're dealing with--but then that thought just takes me right back to the thought that I wouldn't have my 2 beautiful children that I love so much. I think my daughter is extremely lucky to not have to hide her orientation and she and her ladyfriend are very much "out" at school, and the kids are pretty accepting of this.

Another thought and maybe some gay people can reply to this one: one of the reasons my husband didn't want to be gay is b/c he didn't want to live the gay lifestyle--he is turned off by the thought of cruising gay bars and going to parties and such. I told him that I imagine that it's the same as heteros--you can either surf the singles bars, or you can try to meet people in other venues, like classes and sports activities and such. You may not have as much exposure, but you're probably more likely to meet someone nice and someone that you can have a lasting relationship with.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 PM

What in the world are you talking about when you say your husband didn't want to be gay because he didn't want to cruise gay bars and gay parties for mates??? what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
No--it is not healthy to repress your desires--not healthy for you, and not healthy for the family that you will ultimately abandon when you realize that you can no longer keep up the facade. Personally I would rather have everything out in the open so we all know what we're dealing with--but then that thought just takes me right back to the thought that I wouldn't have my 2 beautiful children that I love so much. I think my daughter is extremely lucky to not have to hide her orientation and she and her ladyfriend are very much "out" at school, and the kids are pretty accepting of this.

Another thought and maybe some gay people can reply to this one: one of the reasons my husband didn't want to be gay is b/c he didn't want to live the gay lifestyle--he is turned off by the thought of cruising gay bars and going to parties and such. I told him that I imagine that it's the same as heteros--you can either surf the singles bars, or you can try to meet people in other venues, like classes and sports activities and such. You may not have as much exposure, but you're probably more likely to meet someone nice and someone that you can have a lasting relationship with.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:57 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Who the f*#&$ is Jennifer Connelly?
She was kinda good lookin in The Rocketeer movie...(not that I saw it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships