Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times

Advertisements

As others have said, to me it denotes a significant, committed relationship between a couple who is usually gay/lesbian but sometimes straight but unmarried (e.g. Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn).

Just as someone might introduce their mate as "my husband John" or "my wife Mary", others might say "my partner Keith" or "my partner Susan". I don't see it as being "in your face" so much as helping others to recognize and ideally appreciate the union. On the other hand, if a couple introduces each other as "lovers" - no matter the combination - well now, that's just bragging!

For the record, I feel funny using "boyfriend/girlfriend" myself. I usually refer to my mate as my "ladyfriend".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:49 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I loathe the term "partner." It shows we've sort of "hit bottom" in emotional capacity.
Bottom's been hit in many areas, so it's not surprising this one follows. Relationships can't exist in a vacuum amidst disintegration of all values.

Quote:
To me, it shows that nowadays, it's more of an "arrangement" than a "relationship."
Same here and I don't really care to sample this type of arrangements.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:38 PM

135 posts, read 515,808 times
Naw...thats when you just grab him by the back of the neck and lay a big wet one on him to ward off the other vultures....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
The only reason I can see is to not have people hitting on your SO at a party, let's say...

Old 11-29-2010, 12:35 PM

399 posts, read 974,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I loathe the term "partner." It shows we've sort of "hit bottom" in emotional capacity.

To me, it shows that nowadays, it's more of an "arrangement" than a "relationship."
I could call my partner my husband, but you'd probably get into a snit about that, too.

And for all the heteros who think we should "keep our private lives private," I'd be more than willing to if you would do the same. That means stop talking about your husbands, wives, and children; take off the wedding rings, take the pictures of your families off your desks at work, and stop putting wedding announcements in the paper. Or better yet, stop having weddings altogether; nobody cares that you've found somebody to have sex with, so stop throwing it in people's faces with your tacky parties.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:44 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,545 times
Insignificant other

Jonathan

Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I wonder if when I've introduced my girlfriends as "my little ho" that this could be the reason that I don't have one.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,788 times
Maybe it's because "boyfriend" sounds so.... gay?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:51 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mintjulep View Post
I could call my partner my husband, but you'd probably get into a snit about that, too.

And for all the heteros who think we should "keep our private lives private," I'd be more than willing to if you would do the same. That means stop talking about your husbands, wives, and children; take off the wedding rings, take the pictures of your families off your desks at work, and stop putting wedding announcements in the paper. Or better yet, stop having weddings altogether; nobody cares that you've found somebody to have sex with, so stop throwing it in people's faces with your tacky parties.
LMAO! So catty!

I read that in Colorado, all that's necessary to establish a common law marriage is for the couple to present itself as married. You call a woman your wife in public and she is. I don't see any difference for long-term gay couples. They can be husband and husband, or wife and wife. Who cares? My husband's aunt was married to her partner in that window between yes-you-can and no-you-can't in California, so they were wives.

I think that the word "partner" sounds cold, but that's my hangup. If people want to call one another "partner," okay.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:57 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I called my boyfriend my "partner" for years ( and he called me his) .

We got married last year but I was getting a little too old to call him my "boyfriend". I don't see partner as being a word exclusive to Gay relationships. Quite a few Americans warned me some people might think I was Gay if I used that word and my reaction was "so what?" . If people want to think I am Gay then so be it. It doesn't bother me in the slightest . When they meet Hubby they realise I am a full blooded heterosexual woman. Until then .... meh, whatever.

Relationships are partnerships no matter what your sexual orientation. I don't see anything wrong with the word for either Gay or straight people.

What are you supposed to call your boyfriend when you are in your 40s and have been together for over 2 decades ??? Boyfriend just seems childish so partner fits the bill nicely. I also often called him my husband to make things simpler. Partner, husband, to me it is all interchangeable.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:04 PM

399 posts, read 974,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
LMAO! So catty!

I think that the word "partner" sounds cold, but that's my hangup. If people want to call one another "partner," okay.
Well, you know...it just irks me that there seems to be this assumption that hets talking about their families is normal, but when gay folks do it, we're "cramming our sex lives down their throats."

For the record, I'm not a fan of the word "partner" either (and "life partner" is even worse); but I'm 32 years old and have lived with my "partner" for 5 years. We're a little bit past the "boyfriend" stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships