Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,082,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Almost every girl I've been with has been in an abusive relationship. I can't stress it enough, women love jerks. That is why I don't get into any serious relationships anymore. Women will say they want this or that but when push comes to shove they bang the jerks. Every guy out there, stop being the nice guy. It doesn't work. Being a jerk is what works!
So almost every woman you've been with has been in an abuse relationship? Ever bothered to check a while later with their associates to see if you made the jerk list?

I find a lot of women say that, then I meet the guy and his associates and find out he's alright. NOT ALL OF COURSE, ALL YOU FEMALES WHO DATED DAUHMERS WHO WILL NOW COME OUT OF THE WOODWORK WITH YOUR STORIES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 04:29 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,367 times
A very good friend of mine was in an abusive relationship for a couple of years. It got worse and worse as time went on. Her family and friends all offered to help her. It wasn't like she didn't have a place to run to and no kids were involved. She chose to be in that relationship. Oftentimes women who find themselves in this situation have deep seated issues and they end up repeatedly in similar situations. Not always the case but very common. I called a social worker to ask about how to get her help and the social worker said in clear terms "until she is ready to be done with it, there is nothing you can do to help her. She has to take the first step and call herself for help." They saw this as a common occurrence. Long story short, eventually she reached her breaking point where she had had enough and left. Yep, I was out there late one night packing her stuff into my car. She moved out of state and that's all she wrote.
To the OP, stay out of it. Leave the guy alone. It's none of your business. Be a friend to your girlfriend who probably just needs someone to lean on and a shoulder to cry on, and leave it at that.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nddakoolest View Post
well my bestfriend whom i deeply love has been through an abusive relationship(physical&abusive)that ended summer 08 which is when i found out, but i cant seem to get over it, shes always telling me about things he had done to her and i cant really understand why she clinged to him , it adds a little to the hate i feel for this guy. im really considering beating this dude into a pulp but she wants me to let it slide.i love this gal with all my heart and it really bothers me to let this guy go without an intense beating(at least) since he did after all put her through hell.has anyone else been in a situation like mine or hers? how should i deal with this?
I responded to this before, but I wanted to add another thought or two after reading the excellent post above. I've been married to a couple women who were sexually abused as children but had never recovered from the trauma, even decades later. They'd never talked about it to anyone. I felt very privileged that they trusted me enough to "come out of the closet" with the information.

Talking about it does the soul good and helps one get on the road to recovery. It's that way with all emotional/psychological traumas, be it losing a job, a life partner or anything else. Talking about it lets the pain out. I know how you feel about the jerk who abused your gf, but try to just let her talk it out. What she needs from you is security -- someone she can trust, lean on, hold, and talk to. What she least needs is someone to cause more problems with the ex. If you love her at all, keep that in mind.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I responded to this before, but I wanted to add another thought or two after reading the excellent post above. I've been married to a couple women who were sexually abused as children but had never recovered from the trauma, even decades later. They'd never talked about it to anyone. I felt very privileged that they trusted me enough to "come out of the closet" with the information.

Talking about it does the soul good and helps one get on the road to recovery. It's that way with all emotional/psychological traumas, be it losing a job, a life partner or anything else. Talking about it lets the pain out. I know how you feel about the jerk who abused your gf, but try to just let her talk it out. What she needs from you is security -- someone she can trust, lean on, hold, and talk to. What she least needs is someone to cause more problems with the ex. If you love her at all, keep that in mind.
Exactly right. Someday she may hear herself and get it together but if you push yourself into her situation. She'll cut you out. And relationships with friendships like yours will never work for her. I know. I ruined a good friendship by allowing my friend to get to close. Discovered that we had nothing in common except to talk about how crappy our significant others were.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,166 times
Default Abused Men

Dear Reader,

I am a student at the University of Bolton completing my third year project under the supervision of Dr. Nadhim Al-Talib.The study is intended to investigate personality characteristics of men who have experienced any emotional/physical aggression from their female partners. I would appreciate your participation.It`s consists of responding to a confidential survey online at the following link:

www.theabusedmen.net

Thank you very much for your help.

If you would like more information on this project please, do not hesitate to contact by email or post;

Vanessa Pérez Rodríguez
Department of Psychology and the Life Sciences
Supervisor: Dr. Nadhim Al-TalibThe University of Bolton
Deane Road
Bolton, BL3 5AB
United Kingdom
Vp1pls@bolton.ac.uk

Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I doubt its by choice. Sometimes a guy can come on as charming, tender, compassionate, but wait a couple years till they get you wrapped around their thumbs, then they change so suddenly. By then, some might have a kid from that person and be afraid to leave, or may not have anywhere to escape to. Most people in their right minds would nip it in the bud and run if a person right away came on as abusive, we know that.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:15 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
It sounds like she just needs a friend, not a defender.

Just let her talk don't try to "fix" it cuz you can't.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:20 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
That is also a common saying from "social workers". The typical one size fits all answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
A very good friend of mine was in an abusive relationship for a couple of years. It got worse and worse as time went on. Her family and friends all offered to help her. It wasn't like she didn't have a place to run to and no kids were involved. She chose to be in that relationship. Oftentimes women who find themselves in this situation have deep seated issues and they end up repeatedly in similar situations. Not always the case but very common. I called a social worker to ask about how to get her help and the social worker said in clear terms "until she is ready to be done with it, there is nothing you can do to help her. She has to take the first step and call herself for help." They saw this as a common occurrence. Long story short, eventually she reached her breaking point where she had had enough and left. Yep, I was out there late one night packing her stuff into my car. She moved out of state and that's all she wrote.
To the OP, stay out of it. Leave the guy alone. It's none of your business. Be a friend to your girlfriend who probably just needs someone to lean on and a shoulder to cry on, and leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships