Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:48 AM

36,226 posts, read 30,664,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Just because you pay child support doesn't mean it automatically gives you rights to visitations. If you want to see your kids...go exercise your rights in court.
Your divorce decree outlining custody and visitation automatically gives you rights to visitation. But why is it that its ok for the custodial parent to withhold visitation if one gets behind on CS.
Exercising your rights in court requires a petition for contempt. This will generally cost 1k for each instance. Im not sure how many can afford this everytime a custodial parent gets their knicker in a wad and refuses visitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 07:00 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,084,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Your divorce decree outlining custody and visitation automatically gives you rights to visitation. But why is it that its ok for the custodial parent to withhold visitation if one gets behind on CS.
Exercising your rights in court requires a petition for contempt. This will generally cost 1k for each instance. Im not sure how many can afford this everytime a custodial parent gets their knicker in a wad and refuses visitation.

I meant for the ones who aren't divorced..The ones who have kids and aren't married. Not everyone who has kids are married?? So no it wouldn't be in the divorce decree...1K? Now if you know how to do most of it yourself it wont cost 1k..

Old 05-25-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
I meant for the ones who aren't divorced..The ones who have kids and aren't married. Not everyone who has kids are married?? So no it wouldn't be in the divorce decree...1K? Now if you know how to do most of it yourself it wont cost 1k..
If your paying cs there should be a court hearing to determine paternity with custody and a parenting plan set in place wheather you were married or not.

I guess if you dont live in areas with a kangaroo court and had the ability to draw up your own petitions and a flexable job so you could spend time between the court house and sheriffs office it might only be $500 for filing cost every time.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,622,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
I guess what the child thinks isn't important here?
That poster hasn't posted since June of last year, so I doubt you'll get a response, but yeah ... that is COLD.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
If your paying cs there should be a court hearing to determine paternity with custody and a parenting plan set in place wheather you were married or not.

I guess if you dont live in areas with a kangaroo court and had the ability to draw up your own petitions and a flexable job so you could spend time between the court house and sheriffs office it might only be $500 for filing cost every time.

Yes to a point..You should always get it court ordered..Most states have the documents for courts on their state websites..Lots of folks think you have to go to the court house for that.
Most of the time you get 3 hearing..the last one is the final one.
When my ex and I were having our boys go from living with me to go live with him..we had it court ordered..the judge told us, we should be teaching parents who come to court for kids how act in court.
I say to anyone going thru court with kids to try your states court website you won't believe most of the things you can do over the internet.
Its a lot better to go thru the courts than to go thru you dept of human services.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Yes to a point..You should always get it court ordered..Most states have the documents for courts on their state websites..Lots of folks think you have to go to the court house for that.
Most of the time you get 3 hearing..the last one is the final one.
When my ex and I were having our boys go from living with me to go live with him..we had it court ordered..the judge told us, we should be teaching parents who come to court for kids how act in court.
I say to anyone going thru court with kids to try your states court website you won't believe most of the things you can do over the internet.
Its a lot better to go thru the courts than to go thru you dept of human services.
Ive found our DHS to be quite worthless. Our sheriffs office and court are pretty worthless too 99.9% of the time. Maybe you could counsel my ex DIL on how to behave and not traumatize the children and my son on how to grow a pair.
I will check on the state site more but thus far I haven’t found anything helpful so ended up dropping 3K on an attorney after being told by the clerks office, sheriffs office and DHS worker there is nothing they can do, hire an attorney.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 AM

78,014 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Ouch. Just a whole lot of hate and generalizing in this thread.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Ive found our DHS to be quite worthless. Our sheriffs office and court are pretty worthless too 99.9% of the time. Maybe you could counsel my ex DIL on how to behave and not traumatize the children and my son on how to grow a pair.
I will check on the state site more but thus far I haven’t found anything helpful so ended up dropping 3K on an attorney after being told by the clerks office, sheriffs office and DHS worker there is nothing they can do, hire an attorney.

Yes the DHS are worthless....most think they are lawyers..

Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Yes the DHS are worthless....most think they are lawyers..
LOL. The ones Ive dealt with dont seem to be aware of the law or have any interest in it. I still dont know what their job function is other than seeking child support payments.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:50 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,586,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ouch. Just a whole lot of hate and generalizing in this thread.
When it comes to divorce/child support, hate and generalizing are par for the course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships